• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Northwestern's "Wounded Warrior" uniforms

BeachBumDeac

Cheap Date
Reaction score
Wow

original.jpg

http://deadspin.com/northwesterns-very-literal-wounded-warrior-unis-have-1458223321

I like them, as long as they are for wounded warriors, I don't care what they look like, I like them.

I like them, as long as they are for wounded warriors, I don't care what they look like, I like them.

Yeah I mean, Wounded Warrior is a fantastic cause, and I'm glad it has gotten a ton of attention, but I guess I'm not sure I like conflating it with a football game. There's already enough mixing of metaphors with this lexicon of football as a battle, the gridiron, etc. This seems like a really extreme execution of a really good idea.

Not a big fan of the splattered blood theme

Last edited:
Yeah I mean, Wounded Warrior is a fantastic cause, and I'm glad it has gotten a ton of attention, but I guess I'm not sure I like conflating it with a football game. There's already enough mixing of metaphors with this lexicon of football as a battle, the gridiron, etc. This seems like a really extreme execution of a really good idea.

I guess I'm looking at it more at a tribute kind of thing to wounded warriors. To make any kind of comparasion to football being like war or players being like soldiers is silly and wrong. I love the end of the movie "Junction Boys." One of the player's gets heat exhaustion really bad and gets removed from the team because he won't be able to practice for a long time and Bear Bryant is telling his father he's sorry but these players have to go to war each Saturday and those have to be the rules. The father, who has a lame arm from having served in WWI I think, looks at Bear Bryant and says, "I've seen war, football is just a game."

The thing that sucks about this is that 1) Wounded Warrior is likely to get very little of the proceeds and 2) Wounded Warrior is really poorly run and needs to get more of their money to go towards their cause.

I guess I'm looking at it more at a tribute kind of thing to wounded warriors. To make any kind of comparasion to football being like war or players being like soldiers is silly and wrong. I love the end of the movie "Junction Boys." One of the player's gets heat exhaustion really bad and gets removed from the team because he won't be able to practice for a long time and Bear Bryant is telling his father he's sorry but these players have to go to war each Saturday and those have to be the rules. The father, who has a lame arm from having served in WWI I think, looks at Bear Bryant and says, "I've seen war, football is just a game."

I agree with this. My uncle played quarterback for Nebraska but left school to join the rangers in WWII like a lot of young men back then. He was at D-day and the Battle of the Bulge. After four years of war he returned to school and played football. Football was just a game to him. I think it's always a good idea to remind people of this fact. I think Northwestern is doing a good thing.

Fugly uni's and helmet.

These make the Twerps' uni's and helmets look good!

As long as the Wounded Warrior Foundation signed off on the design, I'm good with it. I assume they'd have to approve it, or at least have some input. If that is what they want to use to promote their cause, more power to them.

Spattered fake blood, really? Why not amputate some legs and arms and play the game with prosthetic limbs?

For a smart school, Northwestern should have known better and it has really missed the mark with these fugly uni's done in poor taste.

It is apparently not supposed to be blood, but a tearing effect. They did it on the blue side too.

LQkHMoc.jpg

I still think it looks like blood, but I don't think they intended it to.

It is apparently not supposed to be blood, but a tearing effect. They did it on the blue side too.

LQkHMoc.jpg

I still think it looks like blood, but I don't think they intended it to.

Since the uniforms are in support of wounded warriors, I would think almost anybody would think that is supposed to be splattered blood.

Since the uniforms are in support of wounded warriors, I would think almost anybody would think that is supposed to be splattered blood.

I don't think it "supposed to" (they even released a statement explaining the blue vs. the red.) I think they are idiots for not realizing what it looks like, but I don't think the intention was there. Which is, in my opinion, actually worse. How do you not look at that and realize what it looks like?

I don't think it "supposed to" (they even released a statement explaining the blue vs. the red.) I think they are idiots for not realizing what it looks like, but I don't think the intention was there. Which is, in my opinion, actually worse. How do you not look at that and realize what it looks like?

I know right. Maybe they might have intended it to be something else, but I can't imagine no one saying "hey that looks like splattered blood" and then asking it that a good idea???

Didn't look like blood to me. Looked like they were trying to give it a "weathered" look. Not sure whether they succeeded or not, but I've definitely seen uglier patriotic-themed uniforms.

FWIW, the jerseys are less ugly than the NFL's October campaign, and the WW charity scores better grades from what I've seen than the American Cancer Society.

Back