• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Northwestern's "Wounded Warrior" uniforms

I'm not sure why this has sudden;y caused an uproar. Boston College wore almost the exact same uniform last season, blood splatter and all.

url

Didn't look like blood to me. Looked like they were trying to give it a "weathered" look. Not sure whether they succeeded or not, but I've definitely seen uglier patriotic-themed uniforms.

FWIW, the jerseys are less ugly than the NFL's October campaign, and the WW charity scores better grades from what I've seen than the American Cancer Society.

The American Cancer Society isn't great, but it gives about 70% of its money to actual programs. WW is at ~57%

This is pretty shitty:

Yes, I admit it, I have this feeling that somehow, the Wounded Warriors project is sort of being used as a crude marketing tool by the uniform maker and the school, both of which are capitalizing on the fact that there is a general, if vague, sense of guilt among the football game crowds that only 1 percent of the nation serves, and vanishingly few from among the stands of Northwestern (particularly as the school does not even have its own Army ROTC, but instead students who want to serve need to travel down to Chicago and the University of Illinois).* Northwestern is selling the jersey for $75, but then only donating 10% of the money, which means that $7.50 will actually make it to the Wounded Warrior foundation.

For comparison:
boston-college-wounded-warrior-uniform-620x413.jpg

The weird thing is both uniforms use the cheapest looking lettering for Northwestern and Boston College I think I've ever seen. Looks like the felt lettering on my third grade soccer uniform.

Sadly, that percentage isn't unusual in such promotions.

I didn't think of blood. I thought of those weathers flag paintings on barns in blockbuster Americana scenes of movies (See, Armageddon).

I'd be curious to see the numbers on those uniforms and what percentage of profit is being donated as opposed to sales price.

Also, you can't discount the advertising factor that occurs and the fact that the name is getting out there.

The thing that sucks about this is that 1) Wounded Warrior is likely to get very little of the proceeds and 2) Wounded Warrior is really poorly run and needs to get more of their money to go towards their cause.

How do you know? Not being sarcastic, you sound like this has a personal tie.... can you elaborate on what you know about WW and how they use their money?

Their administrative expenses are only 5.6%. The fundraising expenses are high but the growth is impressive. I don't think there is anything shady about the WW foundation. This is a charity that is trying to grow and they are doing so.

Their administrative expenses are only 5.6%. The fundraising expenses are high but the growth is impressive. I don't think there is anything shady about the WW foundation. This is a charity that is trying to grow and they are doing so.

I don't think it is shady, I just think their spending to program expenses ratio isn't in an appropriate range. Generally speaking 70% is considered the floor for an appropriate amount. Less than that is considered too low. I get it for a relatively unknown/new charity, but they are well known enough at this point to not need to spend a fundraising percentage that is high enough to drop their program dollars below 60%.

nfl-breast-cancer-awareness-revenue.jpg

Yup. Not to mention I mostly hear complaints about pink. It pains me, working for a large cancer research nonprofit that is not ACS how much administrative bloat there is at ACS and Komen, and how much they spend on these campaigns and how little on research, advocacy, and outreach.

Back