• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Note about Wilbekin's shooting

scooter84

Jack Campbell
Reaction score
This doesn't really deserve its own thread, so I apologize... But I wanted to see if anyone else has made this observation. I'm sure you have but I haven't seen it mentioned...

If Wilbekin pump fakes and takes one dribble+step directly to his left and then shoots the 3, I swear he shoots like 80+%. When he doesn't, he shoots like 25%. Anyone else see this?

#onethoughtonethread

This doesn't really deserve its own thread, so I apologize... But I wanted to see if anyone else has made this observation. I'm sure you have but I haven't seen it mentioned...

If Wilbekin pump fakes and takes one dribble+step directly to his left and then shoots the 3, I swear he shoots like 80+%. When he doesn't, he shoots like 25%. Anyone else see this?

#onethoughtonethread

Yeah, definitely. He loves that one bounce to the left and then fire. On a related note. I think Crawford shoots about 5% on wide open threes and 80% on closely guarded step back threes off of the dribble. I've finally stopped doing the "noooooooooo - YES!" reaction.

#onethoughtonethread

Drives me absolutely nuts when he does this and he steps on the line, or barely ahead of it for a long 2. Worst shot in basketball. That being said if the numbers really back up what your are saying and he makes more that way then I guess he should keep on doing it.

I have had the opposite observation--I think his percentage is far better when he catches and shoots without dribbling at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One dribble to the left and he is money. Any other sort of dribbling and he is totally non-money.

I have had the opposite observation--I think his percentage is far better when he catches and shoots without dribbling at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. A lot times that extra dribble gets him more closely guarded. In the Louisville game, he was $ on catch and shoot. Well, and that ridiculous pull-up from 25 feet at the end of the shot clock.

I didn't notice anything about his shooting because I was focusing on watching him get turnstiled in the second half yesterday.

I think the man he was guarding got to the rim on four straight possessions in the second half last night.

I think the man he was guarding got to the rim on four straight possessions in the second half last night.

I want to run on to the court and fight Wilbekin every single time he pump fakes a wide open 3 and moves to the left to shoot a contested long 2. Sadly this happens far too often.

#onethoughtonethread

Is this what Doofus means by advanced stats ?

I like any of our 3 point shooters to shoot their 3's in the flow of the offense and not force things. They all have a much better % when they do that instead of trying to do it themselves and force it up.

Count me in the camp that thinks the opposite of the premise of this thread. Wilbekin almost never makes the 1 dribble three pointer. He occasionally hits the long two, but the one dribble three ends up floating right most of the time. He needs to simply catch and shoot. That is his role on this team. When he does that he helps. When he tries to do too much he hurts. Its pretty simple. Knowing your role is extremely important. If anyone has noticed, Wilbekin's acceptance of his bench role has played a big part in our current run. He is not trying to do too much, and as a result he is being way more efficient than he was previously. Catch and shoot Wilbekin. If you aren't open enough off the catch, then you aren't open.

I like any of our 3 point shooters to shoot their 3's in the flow of the offense and not force things. They all have a much better % when they do that instead of trying to do it themselves and force it up.

Agreed, with the exception of Crawford, who seems to do better with the stare-the-defender-down-f-you-3 than the catch and shoot within the offense.

Count me in the camp that thinks the opposite of the premise of this thread. Wilbekin almost never makes the 1 dribble three pointer. He occasionally hits the long two, but the one dribble three ends up floating right most of the time. He needs to simply catch and shoot. That is his role on this team. When he does that he helps. When he tries to do too much he hurts. Its pretty simple. Knowing your role is extremely important. If anyone has noticed, Wilbekin's acceptance of his bench role has played a big part in our current run. He is not trying to do too much, and as a result he is being way more efficient than he was previously. Catch and shoot Wilbekin. If you aren't open enough off the catch, then you aren't open.

I stand by my assertion - I believe that if you could go back and look at every 3 he has taken this year, his percentage goes way up when he pump fakes as the defender flies by and takes one strong dribble directly to the left and lets it fly. It has gotten so when he does that I don't even worry, it is going in. As others have mentioned, sometimes when he does that he goes a little forward and it ends up being a long 2 - and that is frustrating - but at least they go in, so those are included in my impression of a high percentage of makes.

I haven't seen every game so maybe it has just been when I was watching...

Who cares? He can't defend a stop sign. Too small. Can't drive. He's a 6' shooting guard who can't get his own shot. When we play MW, Chill and Crawford play together, we can't get stops.

Can't you just watch the team without singling out a player to go overboard criticizing? What the hell is wrong with you?

When staying within his role, Wilbekin is a really efficient and effective offensive player. When he gets out of his role, problems arise. And then there is the whole defense thing. All in all, I'm glad he is on our team, especially if he plays about 18-20 minutes a game off the bench.

I would imagine the same could be said of ninety-something percent of 3 point shooters in the world.

Back