• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Note about Wilbekin's shooting

our offense is #6 in the country. our defense is #158. i have no clue why we talk about our players' offensive weaknesses as much as we do.

our offense is #6 in the country. our defense is #158. i have no clue why we talk about our players' offensive weaknesses as much as we do.

I think it is just easier to see offensive shortcomings. When the ball goes in, they are doing offense correctly. When the ball doesn't go in, they are doing offense incorrectly.

100% agree that our defense is what keeps this team from being Top 25. But I don't think it is as easy to critique... Unless you just want to blame effort.

Final Four qualify offense with a defense that drags us into bubble territory.

to my eyes, a major part of our defensive deficiency is due to transition opportunities resulting from bad shots. Not necessarily fast break points, but easier opportunities for them to score after a long rebound before the defense is set.

it's pretty apparent that if wilbekin has a glaring weakness, it's his turnstile approach to defending

to my eyes, a major part of our defensive deficiency is due to not playing much defense in any situation.

In all seriousness, as we have rehashed all season, a lot of it is due to personnel. I love Dinos, but he's not helping. That puts a ton of pressure on Collins, who has foul issues and has to let guys score once he gets his first. We also can't guard wings with Arians or a 3-guard set. Crawford has tools... but his style seems to be more about trying to make big plays for turnovers instead of tough defense for an entire possession. Childress plays good on the ball defense!

It'll all probably get better next year (is what I tell myself so I can sleep each night).

Chil is basically the only good on ball defender we have--that's a major reason he played so much this season I think

Woods and Craw are serviceable. I'd like to see Crawford's steal numbers go up if he's gonna matador it like he does.

As already mentioned, we have to help on defense a lot, much of which is personnel related, but the manner in which we help on defense is poor too. Way too many players react to a drive and slouch off their man, leading to tons of open three pointers, often times from a hot shooter who should rarely be left alone. A couple of times on Wednesday I saw all 4 off-ball defenders with at least one foot in the paint in reaction to a drive from the perimeter.

Collins should stay another year to improve his defense.

to my eyes, a major part of our defensive deficiency is due to not playing much defense in any situation.

In all seriousness, as we have rehashed all season, a lot of it is due to personnel. I love Dinos, but he's not helping. That puts a ton of pressure on Collins, who has foul issues and has to let guys score once he gets his first. We also can't guard wings with Arians or a 3-guard set. Crawford has tools... but his style seems to be more about trying to make big plays for turnovers instead of tough defense for an entire possession. Childress plays good on the ball defense!

It'll all probably get better next year (is what I tell myself so I can sleep each night).

One issue Craw has is that he has to cover up for Woods, wilbekin and Arians which gets him out of position on his own man.

One issue Craw has is that he has to cover up for Woods, wilbekin and Arians which gets him out of position on his own man.
nah, he's also lazy on closeouts and helps when he doesn't need to sometimes. defense is just bad across the board with the exception of chill.

His defense is not bad.

Also as someone said, JC rally can't play much D as ACC refs call every touch on him. I would not be shocked if Danny has told him not to play as tough as he wants to, because we need him on the other end of the court more.

As already mentioned, we have to help on defense a lot, much of which is personnel related, but the manner in which we help on defense is poor too. Way too many players react to a drive and slouch off their man, leading to tons of open three pointers, often times from a hot shooter who should rarely be left alone. A couple of times on Wednesday I saw all 4 off-ball defenders with at least one foot in the paint in reaction to a drive from the perimeter.

There's been a lot of that this year.

Our defense would be better if Collins was paired with a 6-7 or so bruiser PF.

Can't you just watch the team without singling out a player to go overboard criticizing? What the hell is wrong with you?

education_is_important_but_drinking_gin_is_importanter_-_white_grande.jpg

Back