• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

November/Post Bye Woes

I mean I think they only got the ball past the 30 yard line one time I'm not really seeing what the big deal is about the squib kicks last night
This absolutely baffles me. It’s not like they were returning kicks well with any regularity. I think it was the first explanation he could think of because there’s no way that was actually the reason to not kick there.

I mean I think they only got the ball past the 30 yard line one time I'm not really seeing what the big deal is about the squib kicks last night
Not the point, we shouldn't have to be kicking squib kicks, especially with a freaking strong tail wind, in the 3rd quarter. I watch a lot of college football and I don't recall seeing anybody else squib kicking this season except in very rare occasions. It seems to have become a weekly thing for us recently.

Okay. Can we please stop right here and understand just how dumb this is at face value?!? Hey Dave.... guess what? If you go up by FOUR POINTS, it IS A DAMN TOUCHDOWN GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesus, why is this so hard to comprehend??

His logic was inconsistent. He went for 2 in the 3rd quarter so a UNC FG would tie the game. Every coach does that there but it’s not the right play if you think the score each team will score 49 +/- some XPs.

I'm sad, too. I love Clawson, but this is a bad trend.

That said, the OL isn't necessarily on him. Tabacca has gotta go.

You gotta also think that some of this is just the awful vibes coming from the QB position. Sam is a Wake legend, but I'm ready for us to move on to Mitch and Brett.

You gotta also think that some of this is just the awful vibes coming from the QB position. Sam is a Wake legend, but I'm ready for us to move on to Mitch and Brett.

I agree with all of the above. What concerns me are some of our in-game coaching decisions. Not taking a 4-point lead and forcing UNC to score a TD and then, state after the game, that you thought the game would be a TD to win it? I mean what the holy hell!?!?

I agree with all of the above. What concerns me are some of our in-game coaching decisions. Not taking a 4-point lead and forcing UNC to score a TD and then, state after the game, that you thought the game would be a TD to win it? I mean what the holy hell!?!?
But if the players executed at even an above average level in the clutch, then we win and nobody talks about the coaching. I still can't get over how bad our O-Line was yesterday. Those guys should really take a look in the mirror after the last few games.

Yeah, but then Stan wouldn't be able of take up half to the coaches show talking about Tabacca's wife's cookies.

Last edited:
Yeah, this is something that needs to be addressed. At the end of the day, the games we have lost that should have been won over say the last 3-4 years when personnel and depth was no longer our main issue, lay squarely on Clawson.

His near inability to read in-game situations and his decisions to go conservative or aggressive at certain points during the game are mind boggling. Going for two instead of taking the PAT followed up by going for it on 4th and short instead of taking the lead with a FG last night is just one of probably 10-15 different series of play calls over the last 3-4 seasons where there is no logical explanation. Dude thinks he needs to play chess at every turn. Sometimes the simple call is the right one.

The Sagarin ratings give you a proxy for end of year performance vs. the whole year.

His rating includes "Recent" as a ratings metric. He does not define how many games are included in "recent" but it's a start.

Here are WF overall ratings, "Recent", and the year-end trend for each of our bowl seasons under Clawson

YearOverallRecentTrend
2016​
73.93 (48)75.41 (43)Positive
2017​
79.95 (29)79.50 (33)Negative
2018​
72.32 (60)79.57 (31)Positive
2019​
70.05 (60)67.40 (73)Negative
2020​
74.24 (45)67.63 (76)Negative
2021​
80.62 (21)78.90 (31)Negative
2022​
76.26 (38)76.00 (38)Negative

so...we finished the first bowl year on an uptick, along with Newman's first year as a starter. Every other year...not so much.

edited to correct the 2018 QB

Last edited:
The Sagarin ratings give you a proxy for end of year performance vs. the whole year.

His rating includes "Recent" as a ratings metric. He does not define how many games are included in "recent" but it's a start.

Here are WF overall ratings, "Recent", and the year-end trend for each of our bowl seasons under Clawson

YearOverallRecentTrend
2016​
73.93 (48)75.41 (43)Positive
2017​
79.95 (29)79.50 (33)Negative
2018​
72.32 (60)79.57 (31)Positive
2019​
70.05 (60)67.40 (73)Negative
2020​
74.24 (45)67.63 (76)Negative
2021​
80.62 (21)78.90 (31)Negative
2022​
76.26 (38)76.00 (38)Negative

so...we finished the first bowl year on an uptick, along with Wolford's senior year. Every other year...not so much.
I think Wolford's senior year was 2017. That 2018 uptick was the Birmingham Bowl year under Newman when we were like 3-5 and then finished 3-1 along with beating a top 15 State team in Raleigh.

I think Wolford's senior year was 2017. That 2018 uptick was the Birmingham Bowl year under Newman when we were like 3-5 and then finished 3-1 along with beating a top 15 State team in Raleigh.
You're right. 2017, Wolford's senior year, we lost to Duke at home in the last regular-season game to give them a bowl bid.

Hartman bears some responsibility for the negative finishes. His only season as a full-time starter with a positive finish was his freshman year when Newman finished off the season.

Hartman bears some responsibility for the negative finishes. His only season as a full-time starter with a positive finish was his freshman year when Newman finished off the season.
Yep and we were, I think, 3-5 when Newman took over. At some programs Mitch would already be getting PT after the last 3 weeks. We have to start preparing for next year. We're not really playing for anything at this point except guaranteeing we finish above .500. I think a good bowl game is probably already out the door since so many more attractive teams are in our range and ahead of us.

The in-game decisions on key plays is where the close games have been lost. Going for it/not going for it on 4th down, punting or kicking a field goal, short kickoffs, running the ball when it's not there, and especially not making changes to adapt to what is there or not there

I have to disagree with this. Wake consistently loses in late October and November against the teeth of the conference schedule. It doesn’t make sense to blame that on coaching decisions. It isn’t as if our staff suddenly forgets how to coach when the calendar page flips to November. It’s talent and depth.

Never had the solid defense to compete against the teams late in the season

Back