• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

November/Post Bye Woes

Over my 50+ years of being a Wake fan, I have gotten pretty good at getting over losses. Even last year with the UNC game and the ACCCG, I was able to move on pretty quickly. But the one from Saturday is still pissing me off.

Our defense has played well enough to win the last three weeks.
I'd say 2/3 weeks.

We made a freshman QB for State look pretty darn good when they've been struggling a lot on offense this season.

I'd say 2/3 weeks.

We made a freshman QB for State look pretty darn good when they've been struggling a lot on offense this season.
100%. Of course, this week, against a horrible BC defense, Morris acts like a true frosh and throws 3 picks, and State loses. Where was that last week?

100%. Of course, this week, against a horrible BC defense, Morris acts like a true frosh and throws 3 picks, and State loses. Where was that last week?

He threw one INT, but who's counting.

Morris threw one INT and lost 3 fumbles - 4 turnovers for the game

Defense doesn't make many plays, they show up for spurts but are never there for 60 mins. They had a good second half against UNC, the first quarter was bad. It seems like Lambert has a game plan, we have a rough start, then we try to adjust but by then we may have already given up multiple scores.

The offense is better in almost every metric vs. the defense. It's been 6 seasons since we have had an average ACC defense, that's not good.

We give the ball away, a lot. You can't do that in close games. Even if you take out Louisville, 4 turnovers in 2 games is not a good number for us. We were one of the best in country at TO margin going into Louisville.

Our special teams is ok, when it has been a strength in the past. The fact that going for a TD vs. FG was based on our lack of kickoff ability is wild, that should never be a factor. Yet, it is.

I would say if our defense was that good Clawson would have definitely kicked the field goal
Actually it was that good. UNC won by 2 points as a result of us only being up 1 after the failed 4th down attempt. The field goal would've put us up by 4 and made UNC have to score a TD, which they didn't do.

I mean BC's defense hasn't really been that horrible I think we piled up more yardage and points against them than anybody else this year we looked great that game.

I mean it was a one point game there were still going to be we're going to have at least one more possession regardless you got to get up more than a field goal.

I have to disagree with this. Wake consistently loses in late October and November against the teeth of the conference schedule. It doesn’t make sense to blame that on coaching decisions. It isn’t as if our staff suddenly forgets how to coach when the calendar page flips to November. It’s talent and depth.
I disagree with your assessment. Saving timeouts before the half only to do nothing with regards to scoring, not taking the points with a FG, going for it on 4th and long, are all issues with coaching decisions not talent and depth.

ETA: I love Clawson. He has elevated WF football to new heights consistently. I just wish some things had been done differently in regards to adjustments that would have resulted in more wins this season.

Last edited:
The constant conservative approach that we take going into the half every week is my biggest gripe. Especially when we defer each time we in the coin toss. If you're not going "2 for 1" there at the end of halves, then it doesn't benefit us to defer. Especially when we seemingly fail to score out of the half in nearly every game.

I have to wonder how long Clawson’s coaching term will last before you all stop blaming our losses on individual coaching and player decisions and acknowledge that this program simply doesn’t have the capability you think it does.

Look at our recruiting rankings for the past 6 years and tell me what P5 teams amongst those recruiting levels are consistently winning more than 8 games a year?

I have to wonder how long Clawson’s coaching term will last before you all stop blaming our losses on individual coaching and player decisions and acknowledge that this program simply doesn’t have the capability you think it does.

How did capability lose the last three games?

I'd say 2/3 weeks.

Our 2006 defense destroys that State QB as we had 2-3 interceptions that this year's bunch (without Cobe Davis, Carson is not 100% you can see in his stride and other injuries to Mustapha, targeting calls - boo) just did not grab or were late to locate when the ball was tipped up in the air. He threw one pick that bounced right off Carson's chest.

This year is a "so close" year, unfortunately. And losing to UNC is sort of icing on the cake, but we stall have freakin' Elko to deal with, yuck.

Back