• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Now that the Season is Over - From a Long-Time Supporter

Well said, but if we're picking people to write letters to Wellman, I vote for the guy on the "Im glad we lost" thread. The line about Wellman reclaiming his stability as a man should really get him thinking.

If you write Wellman, be polite and cordial. Culture change.

(but seriously, don't be a douche. The poor secretary that has to read it doesn't deserve the hate)

I have found it interesting how the angst of the fan base has transformed over the past two season. While at the end of last season to about midway through this season, the majority of the frustration was aimed at Bzz. Now, Wellman has been the focus of much of their frustration as well, due to his poor PR performance and seeming arrogance in acknowledging any mistake in his decision. I would be very interested to hear the inside chatter between the BOT and other donors, that have not been put out to the public over the past two months.

What exactly makes you think he hasn't gone this route already?

Also... this excerpt from the OP & 83's Buzz-in response gave me a good laugh:

Facepalm

Really try and follow along, I really shouldn't have to explain it.

I have found it interesting how the angst of the fan base has transformed over the past two season. While at the end of last season to about midway through this season, the majority of the frustration was aimed at Bzz. Now, Wellman has been the focus of much of their frustration as well, due to his poor PR performance and seeming arrogance in acknowledging any mistake in his decision. I would be very interested to hear the inside chatter between the BOT and other donors, that have not been put out to the public over the past two months.

It's not just arrogance in acknowledging any mistake. It's arrogance in saying the program is in good shape when it clearly isn't. I think it wouldn't be as bad if he said stuff like "things are going how we'd like, but I have confidence in Coach [Redacted]." Making people feel dumb for seeing 8 and 13 wins and being concerned just doesn't work.

Buzz has had more passes than the Canadian Football League. His ass simply needs to be put to the fire. Produce results next year - at least twenty wins - or hit the road. No ands, ors, ifs, or buts. Wellman needs to tell him this - perhaps more politely - in private, and then stick to it.

I don't know if this has been posted before...

Last night when FOX 8 was doing their ACC Tournament preview...they interviewed [Redacted].

Bzz said that when you re-build a program quickly you're often sacrificing your morals and he won't do that. He said that they're going to do things the right way and next year you will see all the hard work of 2+ seasons pay off.

20 wins is ALOT to ask for from a team that may be starting 3 freshmen.

This whole situation would be so much better if RW would make reasonable comments. He needs to make public statements that support Bz but demand more.

He will in a few weeks. The Dan interview was a mistake. I suspect he'll either go around Dan or do a different format - read more from a prepared statement. Triad journalists tend to use straight quotes which often makes the respondents sound bad. Remember the josh howard interview? Most good journalists I know take the extra step of cleaning up quotes and sending for confirmation. You run a greater risk of conflict that way because the respondent can try and change their own quote. That's why lower tier journalists don't do it. But then you run these gotcha quotes.

He will in a few weeks. The Dan interview was a mistake. I suspect he'll either go around Dan or do a different format - read more from a prepared statement. Triad journalists tend to use straight quotes which often makes the respondents sound bad. Remember the josh howard interview? Most good journalists I know take the extra step of cleaning up quotes and sending for confirmation. You run a greater risk of conflict that way because the respondent can try and change their own quote. That's why lower tier journalists don't do it. But then you run these gotcha quotes.

Hopefully he does, but he's been pretty consistent comments-wise.

The Wellman Whisperer strikes again with inside info straight outta the retirement villages of Hilton Head Island!

Hopefully he does, but he's been pretty consistent comments-wise.

Agreed. He's been completely out of touch whether it was a prepared post-game statement or quick interview with Dan. I think it's silly to suggest Wellman was caught off guard by Dan and just didn't have the right words to say. The man has had a consistent message of support from the start (even if his excuses and explanation for the hire have changed constantly). I have a hard time believing Dan just walked into Wellman's office and caught Wellman with his pants down. It's not as if he hasn't been thinking about what he should say to the press if questioned. You tend to think about that stuff when your most recent hire is so epically bad. His quotes sound so bad because he's trying to excuse the inexcusable and explain the unexplainable...it has nothing to do with being caught off guard.

Bzz said that when you re-build a program quickly you're often sacrificing your morals and he won't do that. He said that they're going to do things the right way and next year you will see all the hard work of 2+ seasons pay off.

The man has never stayed anywhere long enough to build anything...yet he lectures our fan base consistently on what it takes to "build something." What a tool.

Back