• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Obama pushes for paid family leave

Yeah, heaven forbid that individuals be responsible for the burden of their own retirement as opposed to their employers.

You mean like how Bush and the RW masters gave their buddies a free pass when the banks failed? Nah

The FMLA is sufficiently generous. This is an idea that need not apply in the private sector, and let's not pretend like the equal pay for equal work movement is suddenly going to find traction if we start granting the babymakers guaranteed paid leave for getting knocked up. Catholic women in particular will be find themselves with a record high 142% unemployment rate.

But this plan is for the feds. Honestly, it's just not necessary. The feds have the most generous leave policy as is. To say this can be a way to attract better candidates to the federal work force is laughable. Federal workers get a choice of good benefits, generous life insurance, great retirement plans, job security, and good pay. And if they actually work more than 80 hours every two weeks, they get paid OT. In other words, there are plenty of preexisting draws to federal employment. The reason the federal government is incompetent is because of the nature of bureaucracy, the absurd manner in which they hire and promote within, and the unions that retain employees that have no business being employed anywhere.

How do you reach a 142% unemployment rate?

So now companies are to blame for bad fathers? Holy shit.

Complete disregard for any work/life balance by many companies with their salaried employees leads to poor parenting due to absence from the home.

The kicker is when the employer not only pays the mother throughout the pregnancy when she is working at half speed, holds her job for her while on maternity leave, now has to pay her while on maternity leave, and then she decides at the end of the paid leave that she isn't coming back. That should be a blast.

Keep openly discriminating half of the world's population.

Family leave is one in a long list of conditions that the US is behind Europe and Asia on.

You'd think that conservatives who point to burdensome regulation, taxes, etc. as reasons for US businesses moving overseas would also recognize other market conditions that lead talented workers elsewhere. Doesn't really move the needle if it's not about business owners, though, I see.

WE'RE NOT EUROPE!!!!!!! see below....

Yes, let's follow the european model and in a decade or so we can have soul crushing austerity measures to go with it.

I agree that family leave is important, but don't think it should be federally subsidized.

The shift definitely took a long time, but you don't see nearly as many private sector jobs with pension plans anymore, is the point.

Devaluation of the American worker

suffice to say 2&2 wouldn't hire either one of you

I don't know who would want to work for him.

well this got out of hand quickly.

anyone questioning the euro comparison because of greece/spain needs to look closer at germany and the scandinavian countries. in norway, for instance, the mother gets a year off and the father gets 6 months. 6 weeks is a far cry from that.

but...but...a 6 week vacation...more mooching

2&2's vile response any time women in the workplace or maternity leave comes up is pretty amazing. dude has a serious problem with working women.

and he's completely unaware of the problem of his line of thinking

well this got out of hand quickly.

anyone questioning the euro comparison because of greece/spain needs to look closer at germany and the scandinavian countries. in norway, for instance, the mother gets a year off and the father gets 6 months. 6 weeks is a far cry from that.

I can't imagine what kind of profit margin you would need to hire somebody under those conditions.

I can't imagine what kind of profit margin you would need to hire somebody under those conditions.

It's really not that challenging when the multipliers between average worker and CEO are < 50.

Just because something works for a small economy like Norway's (that's largely based on natural resources) doesn't mean it would work for the US, the largest and most diverse economy in the world.

FWIW, my company has a comparatively generous maternity leave program (I think it's maybe 3 months?). It does get abused (in the sense women have definitely used maternity leave only to quit shortly after returning), but is necessary due to our already awful retention of mothers, and therefore women in general (due to the hours and travel.

Nice red herring. Show me a case where CEO pay materially impacts profitability.

It's really only the companies that have a super high profit margin that can afford to give their CEOs absurd salaries.

It's really only the companies that have a super high profit margin that can afford to give their CEOs absurd salaries.

So, in other words, CEO salary has no relation to a company's ability to provide better benefits to its employees.

Back