• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Obama to use executive order to raise minimum wage

I just don't buy the concept that restaurants, small businesses, and large chains alike will be systematically laying off workers left and right because they just can't handle the economic side of having to pay a little bit more for labor.

Additionally some mega-corporations like Walmart basically have a standard business practice of engaging in FLSA violations and simply paying the fines to make up for it.

The reason you don't buy it is because every time a minimum wage increase is discussed the right has the same wolf cry and it never happens as they whined it would.

Why don't we just let employers and employees decide between them what the wages the employee recieves will be? I really don't see any reason for greedy politicians to get involved in this process. If someone is using some kind of force or fraud, by all means prosecute them. If not, try just leaving everyone alone. If the employee accepts the employer's offer, that means that the employee decided they were better off taking the offer than they would be not taking the offer. If you make it illegal for the employee to accept an offer of less than some amount, that will greatly restrict the opportunities for low skilled people to start on the road to advancement.

This could very well be one reason so very many young minority people who haven't developed many job skills yet are unable to find work.

http://www.cato.org/publications/policy-analysis/negative-effects-minimum-wage-laws

Isn't this how things were when we began the transformation from an agrarian to an industrial nation? Didn't we process through all of that and ultimately arrive where we are now because workers and employers alike agreed on a system like this?

You act as if the government came in from outer space and started strong-arming the hapless workers and employers with their greedy and corrupt ideas. You point to the courts to settle disputes regarding fraud etc, and that is precisely how we arrived where we are now.

The major reason "so very many young minority people haven't developed many job skills" is because in general America is still consciously and subconsciously racist

The major reason "so very many young minority people haven't developed many job skills" is because in general America is still consciously and subconsciously racist

I won't argue that America is consciously and subconsciously racist, but to say that's the "main" reason for young minority people haven't developed job skills" is ridiculous, even if for no other reason than it's a blatant oversimplification.

I won't argue that America is consciously and subconsciously racist, but to say that's the "main" reason for young minority people haven't developed job skills" is ridiculous, even if for no other reason than it's a blatant oversimplification.

So what's the main reason that young minority people don't develop job skills that are roughly equivalent to other people in their age group who happen to be white?

So what's the main reason that young minority people don't develop job skills that are roughly equivalent to other people in their age group who happen to be white?

I'm sure it's a multitude of things, but socio-economic status is my guess at the biggest reason. I could also make an argument to blame culture, poor parenting, tough surroundings, poor/no role models. This effects poor white people as well as poor minorities....it just so happens that a higher percentage of minorities are poor. I accept that there is definitely a level of conscious and/or subconscious racism, but don't accept that it's the main reason.

I don't disagree that SES plays a major role on it, but why is it that a higher percentage of minorities are poor?

I don't disagree that SES plays a major role on it, but why is it that a higher percentage of minorities are poor?

I won't argue against the notion that past racial suppression is the major factor of why there is a higher percentage of poor minorities than whites, but I wouldn't call the current stage of race relations or racism of the united states as a whole the major reason that minorities are having a hard time catching up.
If your argument is that racism caused minorities to be poor, thus racism is the reason minorities have a hard time developing jobs skills then I see what you're saying, but I would disagree

Isn't this how things were when we began the transformation from an agrarian to an industrial nation? Didn't we process through all of that and ultimately arrive where we are now because workers and employers alike agreed on a system like this?

You act as if the government came in from outer space and started strong-arming the hapless workers and employers with their greedy and corrupt ideas. You point to the courts to settle disputes regarding fraud etc, and that is precisely how we arrived where we are now.

DoDo? my man...

Obama's knowledge of the Constitution is not much better than Sheila Jackson Lee's. Actually, Obama knows what is in the document but considers it an impediment to his designs, just like the typical progressive.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corne...g-under-constitution-400-years-andrew-johnson

“Maybe I should offer a good thanks to the distinguished members of the majority — the Republicans, my chairman and others — for giving us an opportunity to have a deliberative constitutional discussion that reinforces the sanctity of this nation and how well it is that we have lasted some 400 years, operating under a constitution that clearly defines what is constitutional and what is not.”

Obama's knowledge of the Constitution is not much better than Sheila Jackson Lee's. Actually, Obama knows what is in the document but considers it an impediment to his designs, just like the typical progressive.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corne...g-under-constitution-400-years-andrew-johnson

“Maybe I should offer a good thanks to the distinguished members of the majority — the Republicans, my chairman and others — for giving us an opportunity to have a deliberative constitutional discussion that reinforces the sanctity of this nation and how well it is that we have lasted some 400 years, operating under a constitution that clearly defines what is constitutional and what is not.”

You didn't say the same thing when W broke the Geneva Convention. You didn't say the same thing when W wrote nearly double the number of Executive Orders as Obama has.

You didn't say the same thing when W broke the Geneva Convention. You didn't say the same thing when W wrote nearly double the number of Executive Orders as Obama has.

Actually, Obama and W issue(d) executive orders at about the same rate. Their rates are less than Bill Clinton's. Carter was by far the king of executive orders.

Last edited:
Back