• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Obama to use executive order to raise minimum wage

Why would he change? In fact it's very likely his rate will go dramatically down as few bills will be passed over the next 2.5 years.

So, you see a relationship between the number of bills passed and the number of executive orders?

Fox News: Wages have been stagnant or declining for a long time. The middle class is getting pinched. We need to cut taxes.

Interesting 538 article on the likelihood of minimum wage jobs being replaced by robots.
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/your-new-fast-food-worker-a-robot/

I think it overstates the need for robots in food service. Right now, there's no reason why I should be able to sit down at a restaurant with a tablet attached to the table that takes me though the basic functions of a waiter. Ordering drinks, a more detailed description of menu items, place order. Of course, a button that would alert somebody to take care of anything that couldn't be handled on the tablet. After the meal, go back to the tablet and order coffee and dessert or get the bill. Heck, swipe the card at the table and go.

Interesting 538 article on the likelihood of minimum wage jobs being replaced by robots.
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/your-new-fast-food-worker-a-robot/

I think it overstates the need for robots in food service. Right now, there's no reason why I should be able to sit down at a restaurant with a tablet attached to the table that takes me though the basic functions of a waiter. Ordering drinks, a more detailed description of menu items, place order. Of course, a button that would alert somebody to take care of anything that couldn't be handled on the tablet. After the meal, go back to the tablet and order coffee and dessert or get the bill. Heck, swipe the card at the table and go.

I went to a restaurant recently that had replaced all their paper menus with iPads at each table. It had all you are describing, but we still had a waiter who came by to show us how to find everything on there (which was probably more helpful for the old people), and we still placed the order with her.

I went to a restaurant recently that had replaced all their paper menus with iPads at each table. It had all you are describing, but we still had a waiter who came by to show us how to find everything on there (which was probably more helpful for the old people), and we still placed the order with her.

Yeah there's one of those in the Philly restaurant in Terminal E or something, whichever the new one is. It was wild.

I was in Albuquerque last week and ate at the Pueblo Harvest Cafe at the Pueblo Cultural Center. Each waiter had an iPad and used it to place the order and swipe the card. It was nice to just push 20% and have the tip come up and just sign and pay.

disturbing statistics from harvard (or princeton i forgot) saying that for the long-term unemployed their chances of ever regaining steady, full time work are 10%...

IMHO, the world is now changing so rapidly social scientists can't properly evaluate it. american dream is either gone or morphed into something unrecognizable.

It's a messed up political environment. You've got the Republicans who represent the people who aren't hiring the long-term unemployed arguing that we need to cut their benefits to encourage them to find job that Pubs aren't creating.

Democrats have nothing except extending benefits but we are so attached to the idea that government doesn't create jobs that a public sector jobs program wouldn't get off the ground.

So all that human capital is just wasted.

we need some FDR democrats who understand the value of a massive surplus workforce and what can be done with that...

my great uncle once said about the New Deal: "I was a republican until the democrats gave me a job."

utilizing the unemployed should be a priority for both parties.

When the minimum wage was raised in the past did it put more people on the dole? (honest question)

How do the minimum wage levels compare today to the minimum wage levels (adjusted) under Nixon? Reagan? Other periods of prosperity? periods of recession? wrt to prices/inflation?

The arguments to leave the minimum wage alone seem to be based on speculation, predictions, and theories. What does the historical record show?

I have similar questions.

Back