• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Obama will lose in a Landslide

Trying to find a direct correlation between economic conditions and electoral results is stupid. Right now, any Republican is going to have an uphill battle to attain the presidency. Of those races you listed, most of the outcomes were determined by factors other than the US economy. Johnson lost because of Vietnam. Nixon won because of detente with China and Russia, and a ceasefire with Hanoi. Ford lost because of the "corrupt bargain". Clinton won because Perot split the vote and Bush broke his campaign promise. W. Bush won because of a terrible opponent. Kerry was a Democrat who was trying to be a Republican trying to be a Democrat. Only Carter losing in '80 and Reagan winning in '84 can be directly attributed to the state of the economy.

As for governors making great presidents, that may be true. But governors don't always make good candidates. Pawlenty and Romney are not good candidates. Huntsman is the only one who can win in the general.

Trying to find a direct correlation between economic conditions and electoral results is stupid. Right now, any Republican is going to have an uphill battle to attain the presidency. Of those races you listed, most of the outcomes were determined by factors other than the US economy.

That's what you think.

Trying to find a direct correlation between economic conditions and electoral results is stupid. Right now, any Republican is going to have an uphill battle to attain the presidency. Of those races you listed, most of the outcomes were determined by factors other than the US economy. Johnson lost because of Vietnam. Nixon won because of detente with China and Russia, and a ceasefire with Hanoi. Ford lost because of the "corrupt bargain". Clinton won because Perot split the vote and Bush broke his campaign promise. W. Bush won because of a terrible opponent. Kerry was a Democrat who was trying to be a Republican trying to be a Democrat. Only Carter losing in '80 and Reagan winning in '84 can be directly attributed to the state of the economy.

As for governors making great presidents, that may be true. But governors don't always make good candidates. Pawlenty and Romney are not good candidates. Huntsman is the only one who can win in the general.

+1

ncsportnut seems to forget that Obama wins the experience battle this time hands down. He's the president. No governor has more experience being president as the president.

The fact that Ohio got over 500% of the needed signatures to overturn te egregious, anti-union bill shows there is a deep resentment to the onerus actions of the right.

The GOP has little to no margin of error in the presidential election due to current demographics. They cannot alienate any of their base and hope to win.

There are millions of white, "Reagan democrats" who have voted Republican in 2000-2008
who are cops, government employees, firemen or relatives of such employees who must be regained by the GOP if they are to have any hope.

Whereas the Dems can lose OH and still win, the GOP can't. Kasich has painted the GOP into a tiny corner in OH.

The fact that Ohio got over 500% of the needed signatures to overturn te egregious, anti-union bill shows there is a deep resentment to the onerus actions of the right.

The GOP has little to no margin of error in the presidential election due to current demographics. They cannot alienate any of their base and hope to win.

There are millions of white, "Reagan democrats" who have voted Republican in 2000-2008
who are cops, government employees, firemen or relatives of such employees who must be regained by the GOP if they are to have any hope.

Whereas the Dems can lose OH and still win, the GOP can't. Kasich has painted the GOP into a tiny corner in OH.

You're kidding right? Almost no one that had any leanings toward the middle at all voted for the GOP in 2008.

You are so hung up on demographics regardless of how many times i prove you wrong. I've given up. You still can't name a state other than theoretically New Mexico for which perceived Mexican immigrant angst is going to make a difference in the electoral vote tally, and most of the other varieties of Hispanic don't really hate the GOP. Heck, even in NM the GOP won out in 2010, winning the governorship, as well as NV. The Hispanic vote might actually be a GOP asset in Florida. Obama did well in it in 2008, but the GOP won them back in 2010.

The only thing you're right about is that the GOP can't lose Ohio and win the election. Of course, that's the 1st commandment in the GOP election bible, so not exactly impressive that even you would know it.

The fact that unions signed up a bunch of liberals is not any kind of victory. 1M or whatever it was is still nowhere near a majority of the state. They could get every straight-ticket Democrat in the state to sign a petition, still doesn't mean they're going to win anything, though I think the timing gives them a better chance. People are more likely to turn out to vote for the referendum than against it, just by the nature of the thing. But it probably works out best for the GOP in 2012, because my that time it'll be well done and overwith and won't be an issue that can be leveraged to increase turnout.

You have yet to prove me wrong abotu anything. Demographics is a COMBINATION of factors not just one like you would like it to be.

Cops and fireman are harly liberals. They spearheaded what happened in Ohio, but don't be bothered by facts.

What the GOP has done in state after state since they won 2010 is why they will lose in 2012. State after state the GOP governor and state legislatures are completely upside down in populatity.

If Rubio isn't on the ticket, it will be nearly impossible for the GOP to win FL. Rick Scott and the GOP legislature have decimated the Republican base in FL.

The fact that 70+% beleive the right move to fix the dfeficit is a combination of cuts and tax increases also is counter to what the GOP has been standing for this year.

the fact that even more people oppose ending Medicare as the GOP wants to do under the Ryan Plan hurts with older white voters who were staunchly Republican. The Medicare vote will be devastating to Republicans.

Right now it looks like it will be very difficult for Romney to lose the nomintion. He makes Kerry look like the Rock of Gibraltar in taking a stance.

As Gov of MA he was 46th in job creation. At Bain Capital he made money by buying comanies, firing people and selling off the remaining parts of the company. These two facts will be central to how is painted after the nomination.

Right now it's going to take a miracle for Obama to lose. The GOP screwed up everything they had going for them.

Way to not address a single thing I said and go off on your own half-cocked soliloquy.

I'll just let your track record for reading tea leaves speak for itself haha.

I did address what you posted. As usual you are baffled by logic.

Your gibberish about NM and other Hispanics is exactly wrong and I've shown you that many times.

As to "straight ticket", the "unions" who led this mission in OH were ones that typically disn't break for Dems.

Why won't you tell us who were on the other board?

It isn't relevant, and you're kind of an idiot if you don't already know.

Once again when you can't come up witjh a reasonable response you name call.

Once again i'll ask, why won't you tell us who you were on the other board?

There are always "other" issues but the economy is always THE issue.

And the people are overwhelmingly opposed to the GOP's "plan" to fix the economy. About 70% oppose ending Medicare to make it a voucher program. More than that support raising taxes on the top 2% rather than cutting them.

Many may not like what's going on but far more oppose and fear what the radical GOP has put forth.

Had there been no Ryan Plan, you'd be in much better shape, but it's out there and been voted on by the House.

Once again when you can't come up witjh a reasonable response you name call.

Once again i'll ask, why won't you tell us who you were on the other board?

Because...

It isn't relevant, and you're kind of an idiot if you don't already know.

ncsportnut seems to forget that Obama wins the experience battle this time hands down. He's the president. No governor has more experience being president as the president.

His "experience" at running up the debt with the stimulus with no measurable results except 9.1% unemployment is very impressive. Granted he can find his way around the White House now which is an improvement over 2008. Sorry, don't think this will matter unless he changes his stripes some PH.

then just saay who you are....stop bering afraid and hiding..

Afraid? Of what?

If anyone should be sitting quietly right now and trying not to make himself look any more ridiculous, it's you.

Me: "I'll just let your track record for reading tea leaves speak for itself haha."

You: "I think 2nd degree with other guilties. Premeditation is tough to prove."..."she convicted herself."

Me: "IMO from listening to closing arguments (I didn't waste 34 days of my life watching the whole trial, but the closing arguments pretty much give you what you need to know), the prosecution hasn't even come close to proving murder.

I'm not even sure they've proven agg. manslaughter."

More You: "Well I haven't seen anyone on CNN or MSNBC who thinks she won't get convicted."

More Me: "Of what, counts 4 through 7?"

You should believe CNN and MSNBC less, and me more. (For the record, I mostly watched MSNBC's coverage of the closing arguments, and found it pretty good).

So like many others I was wrong about that...you're afraid that your actions in the past will follow you.

Stop being a coward....or grobeskinner.

Back