• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Obamacare...discussion

Mbadvisor

Reaction score
There seems to have been alot of news out lately about the cost of Obamacare. I just worked out one of the fomulas for myself and it looks like my premium could go up threefold. Has anyone else done some calulations for themselves (families). If so, please tell me I am wrong in my calculations. Thanks

There's obviously something wrong in what you did.

Increase demand for healthcare (from greater access), same supply of doctors (we hope), and not allowing underwriting = much higher costs.

PM me if you want to go into specifics.

if you buy your own insurance, you make more than 90,000 (for a family of 4), are male, are under 50 and have a deductible over 2500, you will pay a good deal more. The highest estimates Ive seen are around 110%.

there are extra tax forms that we all have to fill out next year too. It asks for banking information. Not good

This is true. There is no way a government program could be more expensive in actuality than it is on paper. Simply isn't possible.

300% more, give me a break.

Think of this logically not dogmatically. If it was even 120% of today's costs, it would be on front page of every newspaper and of every rational website.

If this was true, don't you think the Koch Brothers and Rove would have spent 100M+ on ads about it?

There has been over two years and nothing.

there are extra tax forms that we all have to fill out next year too. It asks for banking information. Not good

The reason it asks for banking information is that millions of people will qualify for some sort of subsidies.

you think giving your banking information to the IRS opens you up for more identity fraud than all the other information you already have to give the IRS?

you think giving your banking information to the IRS opens you up for more identity fraud than all the other information you already have to give the IRS?

I was the subject of Identity Fraud. I am overly sensitive to this. It was a nightmare for me for years. In the past, I have never had to give my bank routing number and account number to the IRS

The feds are going to require every employer to submit their current benefot plan, prices and employer contribution in order to help ID affordability requirements. They estimated this would cost an employer ~$6k per year to do.

This is goign to be an utter disaster. I have no faith they will pull tjhis out base don hwo they are setting up the rules.

And the IRS rulings, along with CMS and HHS, are brutal.

Uh no. They are goign to get your subsidy eligble info from your taxes.

I don't know about identity fraud, but it is awesome when the IRS computers know your bank account information so those same computers can swoop right in and empty your account after they've erroneously alleged a tax deficiency and, even though 7 different IRS employees tell you the file is closed, nobody in their entire agency has the knowledge or ability to turn off the computer's automatic collection process. This should work out fantastic.

This is going to be a disaster, but that was the plan all along. In 20 years we'll be begging for a single payer system. Its a great slow con.

What's wrong with a single-payer system now?

Political suicide, which is why it wasn't done. Not only is it absolutely, indisputably government run health-care, but it's also a substantial tax increase. It also would put a lot of private sector insurance employees out of work.

Back