• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Obama's air strike plans in disarray after Britain rejects use of force in Syria

I'm just curious what the countertheories are on this one. I don't think that Syria does this without Russia's advanced knowledge...in which case, we're 1,000 times worse off than we thought.

there's been some reporting that groups of rebels may have accidentally set off chem weapons they were given by external players (Saudis). It sounds crazy, but Assad gassing his people is even crazier.

I'd guess a good percentage of the votes will be to protect Obama or to spite him. That's politics.

And that is why it was ridiculous to go to Congress (politically speaking).

I mean, it worked in Libya, right?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...as-but-into-lawlessness-and-ruin-8797041.html
As world attention focused on the coup in Egypt and the poison gas attack in Syria over the past two months, Libya has plunged unnoticed into its worst political and economic crisis since the defeat of Gaddafi two years ago. Government authority is disintegrating in all parts of the country putting in doubt claims by American, British and French politicians that Nato’s military action in Libya in 2011 was an outstanding example of a successful foreign military intervention which should be repeated in Syria.

In an escalating crisis little regarded hitherto outside the oil markets, output of Libya’s prized high-quality crude oil has plunged from 1.4 million barrels a day earlier this year to just 160,000 barrels a day now. Despite threats to use military force to retake the oil ports, the government in Tripoli has been unable to move effectively against striking guards and mutinous military units that are linked to secessionist forces in the east of the country.

Libyans are increasingly at the mercy of militias which act outside the law. Popular protests against militiamen have been met with gunfire; 31 demonstrators were shot dead and many others wounded as they protested outside the barracks of “the Libyan Shield Brigade” in the eastern capital Benghazi in June.

Libyans are increasingly at the mercy of militias which act outside the law. Popular protests against militiamen have been met with gunfire; 31 demonstrators were shot dead and many others wounded as they protested outside the barracks of “the Libyan Shield Brigade” in the eastern capital Benghazi in June.
Wow, did this get any coverage on MSNBC/FOX/CNN; first I've heard about it.

GOP came off looking like a joke. Alexerod was right, they were the dog that finally caught the car. They had no idea what to do, and ended up conceding that Obama had a plan that needed to be supported. Morans.

Brits are out for good. We're on our own (well, save for the dozens of "secret" allies Debbie Shultz referred to) more than in any previous military action of the Bush or Obama administrations.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-out-any-future-military-action-in-Syria.html
The Prime Minister said that the UK “can’t be part and won’t be part” of any military strikes against Bashar al-Assad’s regime.

Mr Cameron has come under pressure from senior Conservative to hold a second vote in the Commons on the issue after Barack Obama, the US President, delayed his response in Syria.

A number of ministers including Philip Hammond, the Defence Secretary, this week appeared to leave the door open to a second vote if the circumstances in Syria “change very significantly”.

Downing Street had for days only said that there were "absolutely no plans" to return to the Commons for another vote on Syria.

Australia is with us as well. My guess is South Korea is on board. There will be others.

France is ready to strike with us.

Yup, which still leaves us more on our own than anything I can remember. Hell, Libya started out with 10 allies and eventually involved 19. This is us and France and that's it.

Racer how many times does RJ have to tell you there will be no boots on the ground, if anything later this can be more of the same drone wars

tumblr_m4t8gu5BgN1qzjw8go1_500.jpg

After all the rigmarole I still don't understand why we are doing this. What are our interests and what will this do to promote them? Is it because of some dumb ass "red line"? Bombing some empty buildings will do nothing and doing more could propel us into a shit storm. What a bunch of bullshit. If you still believe there is an ounce of difference between Republicans and Democrats you are not paying attention.

After all the rigmarole I still don't understand why we are doing this. What are our interests and what will this do to promote them? Is it because of some dumb ass "red line"? Bombing some empty buildings will do nothing and doing more could propel us into a shit storm. What a bunch of bullshit. If you still believe there is an ounce of difference between Republicans and Democrats you are not paying attention.

I agree with this, except for the part about empty buildings. I am sure that our drones and satellites have been watching the rats scurry to put their cheese under camo covers for the past week, and our missiles will still find them and blow them up fairly effectively (although they have probably managed to put some in civilian areas where we can't bomb).

Here's something I don't understand - if Assad has his chem weapons in the middle of Damascus or even close to a population center, how do we blow them up without risking a massive accidental release of sarin that kills hundreds of civilians?

(although they have probably managed to put some in civilian areas where we can't bomb).

That has already been reported. We'll be blowing up empty buildings at this point.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...227106-14c0-11e3-b220-2c950c7f3263_story.html
BEIRUT — As the Obama administration tries to prod Congress into backing armed action against Syria, the regime in Damascus is hiding military hardware and shifting troops out of bases into civilian areas.

Back