• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Obama's plan to reduce gun violence

BeachBumDeac

Cheap Date
Reaction score
Require criminal background checks for all gun sales.

Take four executive actions to ensure information on dangerous individuals is available to the background check system.

Reinstate and strengthen the assault weapons ban.

Restore the 10-round limit on ammunition magazines.

Protect police by finishing the job of getting rid of armor-piercing bullets.

Give law enforcement additional tools to prevent and prosecute gun crime.

End the freeze on gun violence research.

Make our schools safer with more school resource officers and school counselors, safer climates, and better emergency response plans.

Help ensure that young people get the mental health treatment they need.

Ensure health insurance plans cover mental health benefits.

http://kottke.org/13/01/obama-announces-plan-to-reduce-gun-violence

The assault weapon band and magazine limts are worthless with the amount of existing supply out there already.

Require criminal background checks for all gun sales.

Take four executive actions to ensure information on dangerous individuals is available to the background check system.

Reinstate and strengthen the assault weapons ban.

Restore the 10-round limit on ammunition magazines.

Protect police by finishing the job of getting rid of armor-piercing bullets.

Give law enforcement additional tools to prevent and prosecute gun crime.

End the freeze on gun violence research.

Make our schools safer with more school resource officers and school counselors, safer climates, and better emergency response plans.

Help ensure that young people get the mental health treatment they need.

Ensure health insurance plans cover mental health benefits.

http://kottke.org/13/01/obama-announces-plan-to-reduce-gun-violence

So glad to see this is being done. Was really surprised to learn the lengths the NRA had gone to to squash such research. Truly disgusting.

Beyond this, I'm a bit let down.

Last edited:
The assault weapon band and magazine limts are worthless with the amount of existing supply out there already.

Worthless is the not the same thing as being ineffective in the short term.

A pretty big letdown, IMO. Some improvements, but I think he missed an opportunity to implement some serious change.

So glad to see this is being done. Was really surprised to learn the lengths the NRA had gone to to squash such research. Truly disgusting.
In fairness, as I understand it what caused the virtual "freeze" is a simple statement backed by the NRA ensuring the CDC doesn't advocate or attack gun control. Was that wrong? And given that gun fatalities have dropped pretty substantially over time even with the increase in guns, the move probably backfired on them somewhat (assuming non-biased research which I don't believe was true at the time but that's another issue).

A pretty big letdown, IMO. Some improvements, but I think he missed an opportunity to implement some serious change.

"Politics is the art of the possible"

"Don't forsake the good hoping for the perfect."

i'm pretty happy; mostly vanilla changes to bans or restrictions but are likely to actually pass; harsh bans were never going to happen.

Step in the right direction, but I'd like to see the US enact laws that demand accountability from owners and dealers, and severely penalize those whose negligence leads to death.

Step in the right direction, but I'd like to see the US enact laws that demand accountability from owners and dealers, and severely penalize those whose negligence leads to death.

Agreed.

Including those responsible for Fast and Furious?

Including those responsible for Fast and Furious?

You mean the ATF office leader in AZ who created it under W?

Remember even Issa's kangaroo court determined, the first Holder heard about it, he ended it.

Sorry to tell the truth.

Remember even Issa's kangaroo court determined, the first Holder heard about it, he ended it.

Sorry to tell the truth.

It was a yes/no question.

Sorry to tell the truth.

It is absolutely amazing how you jump from from one thread to another.

You called me an extremist, yet you spent some time banned from the other sandbox for referring to US soldiers as terrorists, yes?

It is absolutely amazing how you jump from from one thread to another.

You called me an extremist, yet you spent some time banned from the other sandbox for referring to US soldiers as terrorists, yes?

No I didn't......

You have a PM....no need to discuss this again publicly.

Back