• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

OBX (particularly Kitty Hawk area) advice needed

LSDeac

Reaction score
Hello all --- advice needed and much appreciated.

I am heading down to the Outer Banks for only the second time in my life this summer. I am staying with my family in Kitty Hawk. Honestly, I really know nothing about the area in terms of places to eat, etc. I do know some basics about places to visit and what to do, but any advice there is appreciated as well. Also, I want to play golf one day, so are there any course recommendations (I imagine there are not very many in the area) that anyone has? Thanks!

Last edited:
I just g-chatted BBD with the request. he will be here shortly.

oh make sure to get an OBX sticker for your car so people will know how cool you are.

Hello all --- advice needed and much appreciated.

I am heading down to the Outer Banks for only the second time in my life this summer. I am staying with my family in Kitty Hawk. Honestly, I really know nothing about the area in terms of places to eat, etc. I do know some basics about places to visit and what to do, but any advice there is appreciated as well. Thanks!

Eat at Rundown Cafe (mid priced), Black Pelican (mid priced) and Ocean Boulevard (higher priced)

Get some seafood from Carawan or Coastal Provisions if you're going to cook at home

Around what mile marker are you staying?

2nd Ocean Blvd

You may decide its too far north for you, but Blue Ridge in Duck is another great restaurant option that we've had success at

Oh, and go to Outer Banks Brewing Station one night for dinner. Their beer is delicious but you can't get it anywhere but their restaurant.

oh make sure to get an OBX sticker for your car so people will know how cool you are.

do not do this. Especially not an OBX sticker with a hurricane logo as the O.

If you want to represent the Outer Banks, get a WRV or Whalebone sticker

BBD, I am not sure of the mile marker, but we are staying basically right at the Wright Brothers memorial if that helps any.

BBD, I am not sure of the mile marker, but we are staying basically right at the Wright Brothers memorial if that helps any.

oceanfront?

In that area, you gotta check out Goombays and Kill Devil Grill. It is also very close to Brewing Station, so definitely try that too.

ITC, I admit I basically have no idea what I am doing. This was my first thread and post on the new boards.

it's ok, man. that's what they're there for. just funny b/c I haven't seen real tags since the first few days of the boards. welcome, friend.

Oh, and go to Outer Banks Brewing Station one night for dinner. Their beer is delicious but you can't get it anywhere but their restaurant.

This place is awesome. I Was in kitty hawk two years ago and this was the only restaurant that really stood out among the ones I checked out. Both beer and food were good.

One more recommendation:

Bad Bean Taqueria. Pretty new but really, really good

Thanks so much everyone (especially BBD). BBD, of the restaurants you have mentioned, is there one that stands out for seafood? Also, my wife heard something about a 'Food Dudes'. Ever heard of it?

In terms of other stuff to do besides eating and drinking, definitely go to the Wright Memorial. They've added a lot of interesting exhibits since the Centennial in 2003. Jockeys Ridge State Park is a good time too.

The Lost Colony hasn't been that great in recent years, but the Elizabethan Gardens and Fort Raleigh Historic Site are still really cool.

LS, I think BBD's recommendation of the Black Pelican is a great one. That's our one "must-do" restaurant when we go to the Outer Banks each year. Get the white seafood pizza. It's rich, but it's soooo good. Really you can't go wrong there. Plus it's in an old lifesaving station. Go north on the Beach Road (Virginia Dare Trail) to about the 4 mile post.

If you want to cook your own seafood, go to Austin's fish market right across from Jockey's Ridge. Or I think they'll cook it for you if you prefer.

I also second BBD on Wright Brothers. The visitor center at Fort Raleigh was having major reconstruction last year but I hope it's finished by now, so that's also a good place to go. If you have kids, you'll want to go to the NC Aquarium too.

If you want to take a bit of a drive, go south across Oregon Inlet to the Chicamacomico lifesaving station/museum. In the summers they have a lifesaving drill on either Wednesday or Thursday but I'm not sure when that starts.

I've only had their beers (get a growler or two) and they were good

I edited my original post to mention golf as well. If anyone has a recommendation on a course (I imagine there are not many in the area), that would be helpful as well. Again, thanks to everyone for the information thus far!

Back