• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official '16-17 NBA Thread: not with a bang but a whimper

Should Dirk sit out the rest of the season?

Right now, it will be really hard for the Mavs to make the playoffs even with Dirk. It's not about the seven games they are behind the #8 slot. It's that they have to go over eight teams to get there. This looks to be an excellent draft. Being high in the lottery would be a big plus. You could even get a good player at the top of the second round.

Dirk only has so many games left in him. Why waste them on a losing season?

The answer is yes. But it will never happen.

Just want to say that I appreciate this thread. Very entertaining.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

depends. popovich did it a few years ago at miami and got a 250k fine for the trouble.

I guess I shouldn't say it can't happen (one because the stars always want to play in the two cities I mentioned anyway), but I'd institute some fine structure against the franchises for doing this. The inter-conference fans only get one chance to see the teams in the other conference at home, so when the marquee players just decide they need a nap and don't travel it's a bad look for the league. This is gonna be a super #OWG hot take, but get your asses out there unless you are injured. I'd love to go to my boss and just say 'hey I know we've got some important stuff going on, but I'm tired from working from before so I'm just not gonna come in for a couple days' and that fly. Or at the very worst, sit your dudes for your own home games because at least the fans there have many opportunities to see the stars play.

definitely agree that sitting players, while trendy and helpful for a team in some cases, really sucks for the fans. there should be a way to allow a coach to manage a team but not cheat fans. i'm just not sure how you manage that. can't sit more than 2 starters in a game? stiffer penalties for sitting players at away games where fans only see them once?

it does sound like the new collective bargaining agreement might help. fewer pre-season games, roster of 17. did not catch most of the details.

The point I most agree with from Mad Dog is the casual fan in a random NBA city has about 4 teams he'd be interested in seeing play his hometown team. So four dates where you might want to spend a little extra dough to take the kids to see LeBron, or Steph, or Russ, or CP3 and then those players don't show up - you're probably not going to try again the next time after getting bait and switched. I don't see how that's good for the league.

that mad dog clip was fucking awful. holy shit.

@DanFeldmanNBA
If he re-signs with Clippers, Chris Paul can earn about $57 million more on his next contract under new CBA than if current system continued

doubt cp3 is leaving LA.

@DanFeldmanNBA
If he re-signs with Clippers, Chris Paul can earn about $57 million more on his next contract under new CBA than if current system continued

doubt cp3 is leaving LA.

Is that $57M more the old math? Is this $57M more over the SAME time frame? Or does it include the extra year or years?

Is that $57M more the old math? Is this $57M more over the SAME time frame? Or does it include the extra year or years?

over-36 rule changed to over-38 rule, lets cp3 sign for an extra year and a higher per year average. so $57mm more in 5 years vs 4.

@DanFeldmanNBA

doubt cp3 is leaving LA.

Others have noted the apparent conflict of interest that Chris Paul is in a prominent position in the players union, he was involved in the negotiations and there is a provision in the CBA that directly helps Paul in his next contract negotiations (I think its the new "over 36" rule).

Others have noted the apparent conflict of interest that Chris Paul is in a prominent position in the players union, he was involved in the negotiations and there is a provision in the CBA that directly helps Paul in his next contract negotiations (I think its the new "over 36" rule).

LeBron will benefit greatly from this as well and he was also in a position of power in these negotiations.

Conflict of interest is not the term I would use, the players very job is to negotiate what's in their best interests.

I guess I shouldn't say it can't happen (one because the stars always want to play in the two cities I mentioned anyway), but I'd institute some fine structure against the franchises for doing this. The inter-conference fans only get one chance to see the teams in the other conference at home, so when the marquee players just decide they need a nap and don't travel it's a bad look for the league. This is gonna be a super #OWG hot take, but get your asses out there unless you are injured. I'd love to go to my boss and just say 'hey I know we've got some important stuff going on, but I'm tired from working from before so I'm just not gonna come in for a couple days' and that fly. Or at the very worst, sit your dudes for your own home games because at least the fans there have many opportunities to see the stars play.

I would imagine the decision of when to rest players is made more by the coach than by the player.

Coaches and players are paid to win and if resting players helps accomplish that they should do it. If it starts hurting their pocket book then the owners will intervene. That's how capitalism works.

The head of Players Union's job is to negotiate the best deal for the players as a whole, not for his next negotiation. Not sure what other chips the players gave up to get the NBA to agree to the over 38 rule change.

NBA superstars are underpaid compared to the NBA middle class anyway. This is one step to rectifying it. On one hand this rule only impacts a handful of star players in their 30s that could still command a max contract and 2 of those players were heavily involved in the negotiations.

On the other hand, this only impacts a handful of players, it doesn't really hurt the vast majority of the NBA middle class, who killed it in the last CBA btw as evidenced by the FA summer of 2016.

over-36 rule changed to over-38 rule, lets cp3 sign for an extra year and a higher per year average. so $57mm more in 5 years vs 4.

The per year used to be something like 7-10% more than if they left. Given that CP3 is over $24M now, it's likely his last year under the new contract will be north of $35M. That leaves about $20M for staying.

These reports should be about a similar n umber of years. Unless the person retires or gets hurt, most players will get that last year. Thus the extreme number is not a fair number to use.

What? CP signing 4 year/150mm contract this summer when he's 32 is way different than him signing a 5 year 207mm contract. How's he supposed to make back that $57mm when he's 36?

Back