• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official '16-17 NBA Thread: not with a bang but a whimper

Ultimately it just shows that Nerlens was a bad fit on the Sixers because he has the potential to be a starter, and he will eventually command the commensurate contract of a starter.

My main point was about the Sixers matching the contract. I don't give a fuck if someone else overpays this guy.

What have the Colangelo's done? Can you tell me? Biiiig Jerry Colangelo. What has he done?

Listen, Jerry Colangelo's an old gasbag who's been roaming the earth for 3/4 of a century, I don't think we even want to know about all the fucked up shit he's done in his day. I'm shuddering just thinking about it. Don't ask questions like this.

My main point was about the Sixers matching the contract. I don't give a fuck if someone else overpays this guy.
For the last month or two it has seemed as if the Sixers were trying to win now, and if that were the case it would make sense for them to match to keep Nerlens as a backup/handcuff big, because he would frequently get starters minutes with Embiid being injury prone.

Listen, Jerry Colangelo's an old gasbag who's been roaming the earth for 3/4 of a century, I don't think we even want to know about all the fucked up shit he's done in his day. I'm shuddering just thinking about it. Don't ask questions like this.

He's got AIDS

For the last month or two it has seemed as if the Sixers were trying to win now, and if that were the case it would make sense for them to match to keep Nerlens as a backup/handcuff big, because he would frequently get starters minutes with Embiid being injury prone.

The Sixers were showcasing Noel and Okafor.

It would make sense for the Sixers to keep Noel, but not at $15M/year.

The Sixers were showcasing Noel and Okafor.

It would make sense for the Sixers to keep Noel, but not at $15M/year.
Thats wrong for two reasons: First, the Sixers are 3-4 seasons away from even having to think about the salary cap, second, a healthy Nerlens on a 15 mil per year deal is probably a more valuable asset.

The Sixers are currently paying Jarryd Bayless and Gerald Henderson EACH 9 million per year just to stay above the salary floor.

Another funny thing that happened is that Nerlens Noel missed the first 6 weeks of the season for an elective surgery then immediately started bitching about the organization the minute he got back from his elective surgery, and everyone was like "Bryan Colangelo dicking over Nerlens! What a dbag!".

Thats wrong for two reasons: First, the Sixers are 3-4 seasons away from even having to think about the salary cap, second, a healthy Nerlens on a 15 mil per year deal is probably a more valuable asset.

The Sixers are currently paying Jarryd Bayless and Gerald Henderson EACH 9 million per year just to stay above the salary floor.

Nerlens is going to get more than 15M this offseason. It's a bad free agent class and someone is giving him 18M+

I don't get why people sign people just to get over the floor. Just stay under the floor and make the rest of the team happier by diivying up the loot.

You're wrong for several reasons. If Simmons is good, the Sixers will be going after Big $$ players next summer. Next, you don't pay a back-up player, who bitches about being a back-up player that much money. You brought up Biyambo. He played well for a few weeks. Tons of people here thought he was going to be a star. A GM thought so too and overpaid dramatically. He played plenty of minutes and was mediocre.

As to $15-18M being an "asset", even if the cap gets to $120M, that's 1/8 of the cap for a player who will not have proven anything. Say hello to Biyambo, Asik, Moskov. Yes, Noel is a better defender than those guys, but he's also injury prone. He had two years to prove himself and gets pushed around. His offense is a total liability and he's really skinny.

people who would pay Noel $15-18M are bad franchises. It's why they stay bad.

Nerlens is going to get more than 15M this offseason. It's a bad free agent class and someone is giving him 18M+

If he gets $18M, a team will be stuck a really bad contract.

Make no mistakle about it, if he can get $18M, good for him!!

Last edited:
For someone who has presumably been watching NBA basketball for a long time, it's pretty crazy how you much you underestimate the monetary value of defensive players. Who do you think the Mavericks are going to find for cheap that can guard Anthony Davis/Cousins, Blake Griffin/Jordan, Karl Towns, Jusuf Nurkic?

For someone who has presumably been watching NBA basketball for a long time, it's pretty crazy how you much you underestimate the monetary value of defensive players. Who do you think the Mavericks are going to find for cheap that can guard Anthony Davis/Cousins, Blake Griffin/Jordan, Karl Towns, Jusuf Nurkic?

Noel can't cover Davis, Cousins, Blake, KAT. At 6'11, 225, he's going be thrown around like a rag doll by the 7', 280 Nurkic.

It's not "Pretty crazy how much I underestimate the monetary value of defensive players". I don't think THIS player is worth that money even in the Monopoly money era we're in. For a big, who is a defender, he has to rebound as well as defend. He's played 30 mpg for two years and not sniffed 10 rpg. If you can't score, you need to rebound as well as play D.

I would have kept him and tried to get a sign and trade with a team that valued him at those kind of numbers rather be backed into a terrible deal.

Last edited:
Good grief RJ, still with this? You were wrong then and you're still wrong now after Noel has been playing good NBA post defense for 3 years. Joakim Noah was arguably the best post defender in the league for multiple years at 230, the same weight as Noel. Clint Capela 220, Ian Mahinmi 230, Bismack Biyombo 230, Serge Ibaka 236, David West 240,

Good grief MDMH, you still on this? Noel is not close to the player Noah was at his peak. Noah played both ends of the court and was much stronger than Noel.

Good grief MDMH, you still on this? Noel is not close to the player Noah was at his peak. Noah played both ends of the court and was much stronger than Noel.

haha. You're almost as bad Ted Cruz. I think you could throw 10 topics in a bowl, put you and teddy in a room for 25 years with cans of spaghetti to last 25 years, and open your locked cage at the end of it and you two would have 10 years of spaghetti left and still be on topic 7.

You are most likely wrong here RJ, but it is irrelevant. The Mavs have two or three FA swingmen they sort of like as much as Justin Andersen and Cuban is a player friendly owner so the Mavs have the luxury of being around Noel for the next two months, playing him 30 minutes a game, and see what he's got. If he succeeds there and they go .500, we'll know what he is valued at. Other than losing a mid-1st round pick, it's a win win. Noel was a lottery pick for a reason, he's a fluid big who seems to be coachable. Good for the Mavs. Take a young top 60 player at the expensive of a potential top 60 player (the pick) plus a top 250 player in Anderson.

99e90783eebb7b9bf73fc5c5b01e107e.jpg
052314_nerlens.jpg

Last edited:
I said the Mavs made a steal. What part of that don't you understand?

Yep, use a 30+yo picture of a broken down Noah, versus when he was in shape.

Back