• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2012 Wake soccer thread: Deacs host Coastal in R32 Sunday

Oh well. Not a bad result on the road especially sine we played pretty bad until the second OT.

Oh well. Not a bad result on the road especially sine we played pretty bad until the second OT.

I think we should be pleased with the draw. We looked pretty miserable throughout regular time, but much better in the 2OT.

Deacs win, 3-1 on a hat trick by Okoli. Wasn't at the game.....just posting from GT updates.

I was at the game and we dominated. Must have had 80% possession and out shot them 15-6 and our shots were the result of great passing. State's goal came off a deflected rebound from one of their few corner kicks. Okoli's 3rd goal was priceless. State's centerback was by himself between the 6 and 18 when it was passed back to him. He was facing the GK and didn't see Okoli was charging him hard (great hustle). The GK was yelling at him but for some reason he decided to try and dribble it out. Okoli stripped him and got past him for a 1 on 1 with the GK at the 6 and easily slotted it past him. The GK ran out and physically attacked the defender. When they lined up to restart after the goal, the center reff had to delay and look at the defender who was apparently injured. Heard from the crowd... "He just bruised his ego"..."He's not hurt, he's just embarassed". Great crowd.

Also, this game was a charity game to raise money for breast cancer research in the name of Gena Wiley, who died from breast cancer and was the wife of Wake's trainer (raised nearly $2000). The players wore pink jerseys and the jerseys were silent auctioned off at halftime. I bid on #15 since all my kids wore that number during their soccer careers. Unfortunately, it is the number of Jalen Robinson, the most highly touted freshman recruit in Wake history. I knew it would be popular. I bid a couple of times and noted that one of the bidders was named Robinson (mother?). Anyway, it went from $35 to $60 in increments of $5 and I was the bidder at $60. I checked a couple of minutes later and Robinson's next bid was $200! LOL I walked away and bid on something else.

Elon is not a bad team. They have the top goal scorer in the nation. He drew and converted the PK in this one. Wake has had much better teams struggle to get results against Elon. Obviously they get up for these games.

We lost to Elon? Unacceptable.

Elon who going into the match was one spot behind in the RPI already had wins over Charlotte, West Virginia and Furman (three other ranked teams). Only losses coming to High Point and Coastal Carolina early in the year and Charleston and Wofford in overtime. They are a very good team and their leading scorer could have very easily had three goals on the night. He missed a header that went over the bar and a bending shot from the left side of the box that went off the post.

Elon outplayed Wake for the first 80 minutes of the match and the last 10 minutes Wake started pressing and Elon stayed in to try and win it 1-0. Elon is a very good team and if they can beat UNCG and Duke in the last two matches and find a way to win the SoCon tournament they will be hosting a first round game. Also their leading goal scorer leads the nation by four goals.

Elon barring a complete collapse will make the NCAA tournament for a second year in a row. Take a look at the stats before you starting calling losses unacceptable.

Elon who going into the match was one spot behind in the RPI already had wins over Charlotte, West Virginia and Furman (three other ranked teams). Only losses coming to High Point and Coastal Carolina early in the year and Charleston and Wofford in overtime. They are a very good team and their leading scorer could have very easily had three goals on the night. He missed a header that went over the bar and a bending shot from the left side of the box that went off the post.

Elon outplayed Wake for the first 80 minutes of the match and the last 10 minutes Wake started pressing and Elon stayed in to try and win it 1-0. Elon is a very good team and if they can beat UNCG and Duke in the last two matches and find a way to win the SoCon tournament they will be hosting a first round game. Also their leading goal scorer leads the nation by four goals.

Elon barring a complete collapse will make the NCAA tournament for a second year in a row. Take a look at the stats before you starting calling losses unacceptable.

Every loss is unacceptable.

Chill the fuck out. My wife is an Elon grad, thus any loss to Elon in any sport at any time is unacceptable to me.

Oh boohoo, didn't mean to strike a nerve. Elon's coach has done some really good things with that program and soccer is one of those sports where you can have a better program at a lower level school. I'm not saying that their program and history are better than Wake, but maybe just this year, they are the better team. Oh and I don't give a shit where your wife went to school.

Maybe they are better this year, but I still find Wake losing to them to be unacceptable, albeit more for personal reasons (which was the point of my prior post, but I guess you failed to grasp that if you think I was telling you where my wife went to school for your own personal interest).

0-0 at the half. Our offensive impotence against Duke continues, we were outshot 8-1 in that half.

Wow, this is so very different than the ManUnited/Chelsea match

Back