• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2013-2014 NBA Thread: TIMOTHY THEODORE DUNCAN #5

The east hasn't really been good at any point during Lebrons current tenure with the heat has it? I mean the spurs have the best record in basketball and the mavericks are going tit for tat with them. The heat played the bobcats and the rest of the east is horrible. It's not miamis fault just asking objectively if any team has had this bad a conference to compete with over a dynasty run

The East isn't as bad (over the last 6-8 years) as the West has been historically good.

The West had 8 50 win teams a few years ago. 50 wins was traditionally a benchmark of a top 4 seed.

An expectation because they were heads and tails above the competition (With Rose out atleast)

Look the Heat are exceptionally talented. But they have not really had to battle anyone until their Conference Final game in every year of their championship runs. And this year they will cakewalk to the Finals

And the teams from the West meet them battered and bruised. There is a reason the NBA has had talks about changing the playoff format from solely East and West until Finals.

i think the teams the heat has faced in the ECF the last 3 years have been pretty damn good. also, an unusual amount of talent has gone to the west. but whatever, a ring is a ring.

Official 2013-2014 NBA Thread: Adam Silver Whooped That Trick

The East isn't as bad (over the last 6-8 years) as the West has been historically good.

The West had 8 50 win teams a few years ago. 50 wins was traditionally a benchmark of a top 4 seed.

You do realize the reason the West is so good is because the East is so bad, right? There is a exact number of total wins and loses.

Garnett played his senior year of HS in Chicago, because he was running away from lynching charges. Convenient to overlook that Harlan.

#narrative

You do realize the reason the West is so good is because the East is so bad, right? There is a finite number of wins and loses.

No, because there aren't 16 teams in the NBA. The historical playoff records for the East are about the same as they've ever been. The historical playoff records for the West have blown up. West plays itself more, beats up on those shitty teams more (more in conference dominance from an ELITE eight teams) while the East has more shitty parity (like the NBA has historically been), this year notwithstanding.

i think the teams the heat has faced in the ECF the last 3 years have been pretty damn good. also, an unusual amount of talent has gone to the west. but whatever, a ring is a ring.

Ya. I agree. The teams they played in those ECF were good. Nobody else they played were very good

The Thunder are on something like a 29-8 run in 8 minutes. That's getting shit done.

2011 Heat played the Celtics when they were still good in the 2nd round. 2012 the Heat played a good Pacers team in the 2nd round.

No, because there aren't 16 teams in the NBA. The historical playoff records for the East are about the same as they've ever been. The historical playoff records for the West have blown up. West plays itself more, beats up on those shitty teams more (more in conference dominance from an ELITE eight teams) while the East has more shitty parity (like the NBA has historically been), this year notwithstanding.

The Elite Eight teams? Hasn't the race for the 7-8-9-10 spots been pretty tight the last couple years in the West? Also comparing the East vs. West records over the years would probably be a much better indicator of Conference strength, yes? Without looking I imagine the West's domination has increased in recent years.

And your top 3 1/2 teams (Boston & Sac are tied at 25) with the league's least victories are in the East. Shouldn't the win total of Eastern Conference teams be boosted by this?

I appreciate Westbrook trying to get me as many points as possible for the fantasy challenge but damn he's taken some bad shots in the fourth.

The Elite Eight teams? Hasn't the race for the 7-8-9-10 spots been pretty tight the last couple years in the West? Also comparing the East vs. West records over the years would probably be a much better indicator of Conference strength, yes? Without looking I imagine the West's domination has increased in recent years.

And your top 3 1/2 teams (Boston & Sac are tied at 25) with the leagues least victories are in the East. Shouldn't the win total of Eastern Conference teams be boosted by this?

Well it depends on year to year, there were really 9 teams going after it in the West this year but sometimes it might extend to 10. Not really important.

As to the second point no one is saying the West isn't much better. In fact that was the point of my entire post the West is historically awesome. They have more elite teams.

And this year notwithstanding was in direct reference to your 3rd point.

The Mavs aren't hanging with the Spurs because they beat up on a shitty East and added to their finite wins. 8 seeds should never be as good as the Mavs are and historically aren't, ditto for the Grizzlies... low seeds historically look like the Bobcats... that's my point.

So what? Playoff records can just mean they shitty teams in East are playing shitty teams.

Look at conference vs conference records this year. The West beat itself up while the East also gets to play the shitty East more bloating their records. The top eight East teams averaged 32 conference wins and 14.8 against the West. The top eight teams in the West averaged 23 conference wins and 21 against the East

If you ant to talk about the bottom teams instead of the top eight then the bottom eight East teams averaged 6.7 wins against the West and 19 against each other. The West averaged 15.6 wins against East and 18 against each other

The whole point is the West is more awesome than the East is bad and you guys are arguing like I'm dissing the West.

Well it depends on year to year, there were really 9 teams going after it in the West this year but sometimes it might extend to 10. Not really important.

As to the second point no one is saying the West isn't much better. In fact that was the point of my entire post the West is historically awesome. They have more elite teams.

And this year notwithstanding was in direct reference to your 3rd point.

The Mavs aren't hanging with the Spurs because they beat up on a shitty East and added to their finite wins. 8 seeds should never be as good as the Mavs are and historically aren't, ditto for the Grizzlies... low seeds historically look like the Bobcats... that's my point.

Ah I now see your argument

Back