• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2013 Election Day Thread

SkinsNDeacs

Reaction score
Things I will be looking for:

Can Sarvis get +10% thus gaining the Libertarian Party greater ballot access in VA and creating a big buzz for the Party nation wide (long shot)?

How many points will Chris Christie win by?

The special GPO run-off in AL. Will this be the beginning of the end of the Tea Party or will they continue their slow cancerous spread through the Republican Party?

Sarvis' % really doesn't matter in the big scheme. Most folks voting for him will be disaffected Pubs with a few disaffected Dems as a protest to Kookinelli and EW Jackson. Had the VA Pubs had the sense to nominate Bolling, he would have won by 10-15%, and Sarvis would have had 1-2% (hell, I would have voted Bolling over McAuliffe, and so would have many other Dems I know).

VA's presidential voting in 208 and 2012 has exactly mirrored the national vote. Cruz, Walker, Rubio, and Ron Paul have all been there stumping for Cooch. They're all vying for the same vote in 2016 and may cancel each other out giving Christie and Jeb easier paths to the nomination. GOP needs VA to win in 2016, but the Cooch model won't fly in other swing states. They always bet the ranch on the primaries with nary a thought to how that plays in November.

I’m curious to see how large the gap will be among female voters in Virginia.

VA's presidential voting in 208 and 2012 has exactly mirrored the national vote. Cruz, Walker, Rubio, and Ron Paul have all been there stumping for Cooch. They're all vying for the same vote in 2016 and may cancel each other out giving Christie and Jeb easier paths to the nomination. GOP needs VA to win in 2016, but the Cooch model won't fly in other swing states. They always bet the ranch on the primaries with nary a thought to how that plays in November.

And Bob McDonnell (present scandal aside) showed the way. He is fairly socially conservative guy but he NEVER brought it up during his campaign. He is a conservative that ran a rational campaign and ignored the fringe issues....and won big. You can't let the nuts (even if you are one) control your message. There is no way Terry Mcauliffe should win the Governorship of VA...NO WAY. This only shows you how truly F'ed up the Republican Party is.

Is McAuliffe expected to win? My gun-loving cousin who just moved from MD to VA won't be happy.

Last edited:
It would be better for the Dems if McAuliffe losses. I doubt Virginia will vote Dems in 2014 and 2016 after having him as governor.

I just voted for McAuliffe. The best candidate didn't run (Bill Bolling).

Think I'll take another shower.

Last edited:
can't believe Tmac is about to be elected governor of a major state.
wish New York all the luck.
pulling for bryne in AL-01
christie-martinez look good together

VA GOP is getting exactly what they deserve. Utah can get away with a convention where they replace Bob Bennett with Mike Lee, but that doesn't fly in a purple state. McAuliife's a total hack and it look Dems may control the top 5 statewide elected officials. Curious how the Tea Party spins it-Cooch is far from moderate, but they'll probably say he didn't play up social issues enough. Palin campaigned for the Tea Party guy in New Jersey and the guy still lost by double-digits. Christie didn't want the wingnuts anywhere near him and will win by 20 points.

It would have been very interesting to see Christie and Booker both on their respective ballots today. I don't think either race would have moved, but it would be interesting to get a sense of how many people voted for both.

This will be the first time NYC has elected a Dem mayor since about 1990.

I think the powers in the GOP are hoping Tea Party people will lose today.

This will be the first time NYC has elected a Dem mayor since about 1990.

I think the powers in the GOP are hoping Tea Party people will lose today.

And once the taxing by this liberal idiot begins, the Apple will head back into the shitter it was in the 70's-80's.

To say Cooch is far from moderate is like saying I'm far from being the next Tim Duncan.

To say Cooch is far from moderate is like saying I'm far from being the next Tim Duncan.

Eh. He's honestly not any more conservative than McDonnell, the Democrats just won the war on the airwaves over the summer. In 2009 it was Bob's4Jobs from Day 1, with all sorts of new initiatives. Privatizing VA ABC stores. More rest stops. Offshore drilling. Cuccinelli got swamped by an avalanche of Democratic money, and was on the defensive from the beginning. What really sunk his campaign is that big out of state donors, and some in state donors, immediately threw in the towel as soon as it was clear that Bolling wouldn't get the nomination.

Last edited:
Cuccinelli is an extreme RWer. He's batshit crazy and is directly aligned with the Tea Party. Government workers in VA aren't real happy with the TP. Their families aren't happy with the TP.

Add to that a completely insane, TP Republican running Lt. Governor and Cuccinelli is further tarred.

Plus he also took money (he finally gave it back rather than taking a chance of being indicted) form the same guy as McDonnell did.

Virtually everyone understands what a scumbag McAuliffe is. For this to even be a close Republican win would take an astonishingly bad GOP candidate. To be 5-10 points behind speaks clearly on what a bozo Cuccinelli is.

No amount of money can clean up McAuliffe. Cuccinelli is only a small step up from Sharon Angle and they guys in MO and IN.

Cuccinelli is an extreme RWer. He's batshit crazy and is directly aligned with the Tea Party. Government workers in VA aren't real happy with the TP. Their families aren't happy with the TP.

Add to that a completely insane, TP Republican running Lt. Governor and Cuccinelli is further tarred.

Plus he also took money (he finally gave it back rather than taking a chance of being indicted) form the same guy as McDonnell did.

Virtually everyone understands what a scumbag McAuliffe is. For this to even be a close Republican win would take an astonishingly bad GOP candidate. To be 5-10 points behind speaks clearly on what a bozo Cuccinelli is.

No amount of money can clean up McAuliffe. Cuccinelli is only a small step up from Sharon Angle and they guys in MO and IN.

Not really....at all. Turn off Rachel Maddow. The big things Cuccinelli has been hit for have been major distortions. Namely, enforcing sodomy laws (the law is on the books to prosecute child predators, and has never been used by Cuccinelli, or anyone else for that matter, to prosecute consenting adults), Star Scientific (the Commonwealth attorney found no evidence of impropriety, and all the money was donated to charity), nondiscrimination policies against gays at universities (previous attorneys general from both political parties held that the colleges could not institute those policies, and McDonnell's Executive Order #1 was to prohibit all agencies of the state government from discriminating on the basis of sexual orientation). Aside from that, he's pro-life, against gay marriage, etc. A typical Republican. There was all sorts of controversy over Bob McDonnell's thesis, but he cruised to a huge win. The difference being that Creigh Deeds was not a Washington insider, and didn't get big money from Democrats. Obama even refused to campaign for him.

Between the last two posts, I would judge rj's as much closer to the truth

Back