• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2014-15 Charlotte Hornets Thread

Tank was more efficient today...14 and 8, went 6 of 8 from the field and 2 for 3 from 3.

On a sidenote, Hairston is still garbage. Comes down and just launches ridiculous 3s. He's had two awful games so far, I think he was around 2 for 10 today. He has terrible bball IQ.

On a sidenote, Hairston is still garbage. Comes down and just launches ridiculous 3s. He's had two awful games so far, I think he was around 2 for 10 today. He has terrible bball IQ.

He'll get a max in a couple years from the Hornets

He'll get a max in a couple years from the Hornets

I don't get comments like this, especially after the Hornets let Biz go for far less than I'd have been comfortable paying him (why, who protects the rim now?). Hairston probably has this season to show he can play NBA ball, or he's cut. They are liking Daniels much more right now, and I imagine he's been passed on the depth chart by him. Meaning Hairston is basically the 4th SG on the depth chart, behind Batum, Lamb, and Daniels. We may never see PJ Hairston play again.

On the plus side, Aaron Harrison looks like an NBA player. Sign that kid up for training camp. Wouldn't it be nice if they found a steal for once?

why are you saying harrison looks like an nba player? summer league results?

I saw something over the weekend that the team is hoping Harrison will step up to make the roster as well. That said, this team also thought they saw something in Hairston to make him a first round pick, when years of on-court and off-court evidence pointed to the contrary.

why are you saying harrison looks like an nba player? summer league results?

Yeah, just the way he's stood out from the other players in the Hornets two summer league games so far. He has the look and feel of a NBA-level prospect, seems to play on that next level with Frank, above the rest of the guys running up and down the court. He already had the size and college background, but I didn't know if he could handle the ball or stand out from the crowd. After a couple of summer league games it appears that he can. Still early, and nobody is talking about a future star or anything, but he seems much more like the high-draft-pick and second year NBA players in Orlando, rather than the 80% of guys showcasing for European teams. But yeah, it's still pretty early.

Hopefully one of Daniels, Hairston, or Harrison can be a solid backup 2 guard. Daniels can really shoot it but the other two probably have more potential. Will be nice to see what we can do with better spacing, but I'm not holding my breath for anything better than a fringe playoff spot in the east. We won't be able to get where we want to be unless we can draft a superstar IMO

Hopefully one of Daniels, Hairston, or Harrison can be a solid backup 2 guard. Daniels can really shoot it but the other two probably have more potential. Will be nice to see what we can do with better spacing, but I'm not holding my breath for anything better than a fringe playoff spot in the east. We won't be able to get where we want to be unless we can draft a superstar IMO

Daniels says he wants to play the 1 and for the Bobcats to put Kemba at the 2. Got my haircut from his barber on Monday.

Now whether that happens or not......

Yeah, about that Hairston guy...

@jjones9: Hornets guard P.J. Hairston was cited 6/18 for driving w/ revoked license, speeding, driving left of center and expired tags. More to come

PJ is just a moron. I mean, how could you do this again, even if it isn't criminal? Thankfully Daniels is looking like the better player anyway. Daniels and Harrison might be competing for the 3rd PG spot in camp, since I'd bet a lot that Lamb is penciled in as Batum's backup for SG.

The more I think about, I think there's room for cautious optimism with a Kemba/Batum/MKG/Zeller/Al starting five. There's a lot of balancing skill-sets in that mix. Batum is going to surprise people, IMO. He was a borderline Western All-Star two year ago, then had a horrific but limited shooting slump to start last year, while he was playing through an injury. But look at his second half numbers, they were great. 10/7/5 with great defense and above 40% from 3. I think the Hornets stole a very good player that Portland simply didn't want to pay.

Look at his pre/post All-Star game shooting percentages splits:

Split Value G GS MP FG FGA 3P 3PA FT FTA ORB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS FG% 3P% FT% TS% USG% ORtg DRtg +/- MP PTS TRB AST
Pre 46 46 1552 150 401 55 203 55 66 36 252 215 50 29 83 67 410 .374 .271 .833 .477 14.7 100 103 +4.2 33.7 8.9 5.5 4.7
Post 25 25 828 90 199 45 106 29 32 26 164 126 28 11 49 39 254 .452 .425 .906 .596 14.3 115 106 +4.2 33.1 10.2 6.6 5.0

Regardless of the stats, Batum was the 4th option on a mediocre team. Given MKG's offensive limitations and Kemba's propensity to take bad shots out of necessity, the Hornets need a #1/#2 scorer from that SG position. And honestly I don't see Al, Kemba, and MKG providing Batum with the same ability to perform as LMA, Lillard, and Matthews did. Batum isn't a garbage player, but he also is not what the Hornets need from that position ... especially considering that they had to give up on Vonleh to get him.

Regardless of the stats, Batum was the 4th option on a mediocre team. Given MKG's offensive limitations and Kemba's propensity to take bad shots out of necessity, the Hornets need a #1/#2 scorer from that SG position. And honestly I don't see Al, Kemba, and MKG providing Batum with the same ability to perform as LMA, Lillard, and Matthews did. Batum isn't a garbage player, but he also is not what the Hornets need from that position ... especially considering that they had to give up on Vonleh to get him.

Why are you so stuck that Vonleh is going to be any good? Wouldn't it be safe to assume that the team that saw him and Zeller everyday kept the better of the two players?

We just disagree completely on this, especially about Batum's value to a Portland, or whether Portland was "mediocre" before a series of injuries killed them. Some analysts called Portland's starting five the best in the league for two years running.

But some things aren't really debatable: averaging 10/7/5 while shooting 45/42/90, in the West, are damn good numbers, and that's before you get to Batum's size, passing, plus defense, and very solid career deep shooting ability. I still can't see how you disregard actual impressive production for a guy who has literally never impacted a serious NBA game in his career. I watched pretty much every Hornets game last year, and honestly have no idea whether Vonleh can effectively tie his shoes as an NBA player, much less become a solid starter like Batum. Vonleh got limited run in the garbage time of last season, and wasn't particularly impressive (or, to be fair, unimpressive). Nothing about him felt "totally untradeable for a solid starter" to me. Maybe they do get burned, but they didn't trade Wiggins here. And they didn't acquire a bum either. Batum is more than "not a garbage player," he's one of the most well-rounded two-way NBA wings in the league. Again, only THREE guys in the the whole league averaged six assists and five boards per game over the last three years, and the other two are Lebron and Westbrook. Raw points are a bad way to evaluate the total value of player. Batum suffers a bit from not have anything eye-popping in one category. But when you look at the whole package, his real value becomes clear.

I guess we'll see.

Unless Kemba figures it out, we need more than one shooter in the starting lineup if we're going to be successful. Hopefully we get rid of Big Al's fat ass ASAP so we can go after someone who plays a brand of basketball from this century

Eta: I'd honestly rather have Biz than Al at this point, at least Biz can bring energy and defense. Watching Al laboring up and down the court last season was one of the more pathetic things I've ever seen from a professional athlete

Back