• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2014-15 Charlotte Hornets Thread

I wouldn't make that deal, and I think every team in the top 10 passing on it makes it worth less than you're arguing -- even Lowe said turning it down is defensible if you think you have a special player in sight -- but I understand your point. Personally, I'd never trade a top 10 NBA pick unless I was getting something of equal value first -- a proven starter or a reasonably surefire later top 10 pick in return -- plus a sweetener of extra picks for my trouble. Ainge made the offer for a reason -- he knows that a coveted player in the top 10 range is worth more than 4 four middling prospect picks in the back half, where most of those selected might never even make an NBA rotation. If you get one quality starter-caliber player, it's more valuable in a five man game than four guys who more than likely will cycle through town and never leave an imprint. If Ainge had included the Brooklyn pick in 2016, instead of 2018, he has a deal, but he was never going to do that because he wasn't going to give up a likely top 10 pick.

If the Hornets had taken Winslow, no one would care about the offer because people freaking love Winslow (to an unreasonable degree in my opinion, but whatever). So I think this is just another end run to attack the Kaminsky pick over Winslow. Which is a fair opinion to have, but I'd suggest that the jury hasn't even been selected for that distinction, much less reached a verdict. But in any case, I want my team to take its shots in top 10, rather than trade back into the area where busts and total misses are more common than useful players. Like it or hate it, the Hornets valued Kaminsky over Winslow -- indeed, Winslow's value turned out to much less than everyone thought, since the entire top 9 passed on him -- so let's give it two seasons and see if they're right or wrong. But the Boston deal wasn't the right move in either case, IMO. Boston wanted to pool mediocre assets into the "pupu platter" Simmons always talks about, hoping enough mediocre pocket change would convince someone above them to give up a true dollar bill. No one bit, and Ainge had to spend the whole next morning doing damage control on the radio.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Yeah, just completely disagree. Kaminsky isn't worth more than Oubre/Portis/Brooklyn unprotected first/another first. He has very low equity to be a legit 2 way NBA star.

You don't think the Pacers take 15/16 and a future first for 11? I do.

Deciding to turn down a trade down for multiple picks because you don't think there's any value in those picks is fine.

Deciding to turn down a trade down for multiple picks because you haven't done the work on the players who will be available there is not.

I'm with Arlington on declining Boston's trade. None of Oubre/Portis/Brooklynpick is likely to be anything more than an end of rotation player, so having multiple of those guys doesn't help anything. I would take Kaminsky over that combination every day. I think Kaminsky will be a solid rotation guy at worst, with the potential to be a really good offensive player. In vacuum I would like the Kaminsky pick and had talked myself into it before the draft. But, no fucking way would I take Kaminsky over Winslow any day. Winslow is a two-way starter from day 1 on the Hornets, with the potential to be an All-Star. I'm still baffled and infuriated by that pick.

Last edited:
Deciding to turn down a trade down for multiple picks because you don't think there's any value in those picks is fine.

Deciding to turn down a trade down for multiple picks because you haven't done the work on the players who will be available there is not.

Yeah but I can do the work for them to know that none of those guys were worth it. So whether they knew what they were doing or fell into it by just dumb luck, at least they theoretically caught a small break for once (but then of course still managed to blow it).

I'm still miffed that we traded for Spencer Hawes and then drafted Kaminsky a week and a half later after apparently falling in love with him a couple days before the draft. That strikes me as something that happens when you have absolutely no plan

It raised some flags for me when they drafted Vonleh (who was projected to go ahead of us, but by no means was out of reach). The signs the Hornets showed basically not playing him/putting him on the trading block so early into his career show they drafted him without really scouting them. Kinda the opposite of Kaminsky where no matter who was there (winslow) they were taking Frank regardless. Definitely shows they did not do their homework for players projected throughout the draft. You have to be ready for any type of scenario and scout prospects across the first round, not just within 3-5 picks of your pick.

Arlington would anybody on the current roster regularly start on an legitimate contending team?

Batum but that's probably it. And he'd by a 3rd option at best.

Arlington would anybody on the current roster regularly start on an legitimate contending team?
I think Batum and MKG could both start. Batum, obviously, but MKG is and will be much better than Thabo, Shump, Posey, etc.

The analytics in that article are dumb. You don't trade out of a top-10 pick for a bunch of crappy mid-range picks. Hence why nobody else did it. And who gives a shit if the combined probability of 4 picks turning into a star is greater than the 1 pick turning into a star when the Hornets are the team making those picks? Have they ever, since coming back as the Bobcats, gotten lucky on a mid-late pick? Fuck no, because they are idiots at talent evaluation and drafting. The only chance that they have of drafting a star is having him fall into their lap and it be completely ridiculous not to take him (Winslow), and they still even manage to screw that up. They aren't getting a star with a mid-late pick; they could have two dozen of those picks and they wouldn't draft a star. You can't kenpom stupid.

I don't think MKG sits on more than 2-3 benches in the league. His overall impact is massive. You can't measure it with raw stats, but check out his astounding on/off plus/minus numbers. His shot is much improved and his defense and rebounding at the SF position are all-NBA caliber. Any team would love to have that weapon. Watching this year's playoffs, I kept thinking that MKG on the Warriors (instead of Barnes) would've made them borderline invincible, because of his shutdown defensive ability and small-ball PF potential. They were just a defensive stopper away from dominance (though the Finals MVP stepped into the role nicely when their backs were to the wall).

Batum was a no-question starter on the best team in the league to start last year, so he's unlikely to hit many benches either. I think him being in Portland his whole career has gotten him overlooked by general NBA fans. He's can easily play wing for a contender. In fact, he already has.

The other three? Probably not. Big Al hasn't been a non-starter anywhere yet, but he's not ideal in the current NBA so I'd hesitate to say he'd work on a true title contender. Still, a team like Dallas would likely start him. Are they a contender? Doubtful. Cody and Kemba are "solid" NBA starters only, at this point, and certainly not title contributors unless the other four guys on the floor are all lights out. That doesn't mean they're "bad," especially Cody, given his age. They can hold their own as NBA starters. I don't see Houston being much worse if you swapped Beverly and Kemba, of example (pre-Lawson trade, obviously). That said, only MKG and Batum truly applying in the manner you intend IMO.

Last edited:
Some good analytics here on the Kaminsky pick http://mweb.cbssports.com/nba/eye-o...hornets-need-frank-kaminsky-to-be-an-all-star

Also I like MKG, he's still so young, I'm a fan

Boston reportedly offered the Nets 2018 pick, not the 2016 pick. Huge difference. The article is using the wrong year. The alleged offer was 15/16 this year (two shots at as blah a group of mid-round prospects as ever existed), a 2018 pick from the Nets (who the hell knows, with their leaner books and the cap spike coming?) and a possible 2020 (!!) pick from Memphis (might as well throw a dart, but they have Gasol locked up to anchor their future teams). It's very possible, one might even say likely, that the 15th pick in this past draft would be the best of the bunch. Oubre and Portis? That's so tenuous it's painful. IMO, the only way you like this deal is if you're so bitter about Kaminsky over Winslow that you'd rather not have Frank at all. I'd never have done it, and no teams in the top 10 wanted it either. But this a dead horse.

I mean it's just a disagreement on players. I think I'd prefer Oubre and Portis to Kaminsky. And I have watched all 3 play enough to have at least a reasonable basis for the opinon.

Kaminsky has such little potential to be a top 25 NBA asset. There's been what, one or two seniors drafted in the lottery that have been all-stars the last 15 drafts?

I'd take Portis or Oubre and two mystery picks which could be great (or not great) over a guy whose potential is being a good role player.

Back