• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2014 Ryder Cup Thread

What mold is he referring to?

More than just the pod system - really it's the lack of input by players. When a captain who hasn't played on tour in a decade keeps all the players in the dark about strategy and captains picks, it's not just that it results in bad decisions - but the players don't trust them and get blindsided by them. I mean, if there was a strategy going in that included Phil getting benched for an entire day he probably should have known that.

I think the Europeans understand that strategy is a distant second to team comraderie. The US keeps heaping responsibility on captains as if they have to pull all the right moves and are responsible for the outcome. Truth is the US teams might be better off just having the guys who earn spots just vote for one of the players to serve as captain. Split into 3's and have each group choose an add-on. Then just invite Arnold Palmer to be there and speak as honorary captain or something.

How do the Europeans manage camaraderie being from different countries, some primarily play the PGA Tour, some primarily play the European Tour, some don't even speak the same languages?

I don't watch it as much as you all do but they definitely seem to get along well even beyond the fact winning helps people get along.

I think we have lost so much over the last 20 years because our top players, namely Tiger, Phil, and Furyk, have terrible records. Pairings matter, but not as much as playing well. Tim Finchem's money-grab FedEx Cup and the late season run doesn't help our efforts, but Rory, Stenson, and the top Euros don't seem to mind.

I liked the pods, as we obviously played well in 2008. But you can hate your partner and still make 5 birdies. I didn't like some of Watson's decisions, but none of them cost us the Cup. Europe played better.

More than just the pod system - really it's the lack of input by players. When a captain who hasn't played on tour in a decade keeps all the players in the dark about strategy and captains picks, it's not just that it results in bad decisions - but the players don't trust them and get blindsided by them. I mean, if there was a strategy going in that included Phil getting benched for an entire day he probably should have known that.

I think the Europeans understand that strategy is a distant second to team comraderie. The US keeps heaping responsibility on captains as if they have to pull all the right moves and are responsible for the outcome. Truth is the US teams might be better off just having the guys who earn spots just vote for one of the players to serve as captain. Split into 3's and have each group choose an add-on. Then just invite Arnold Palmer to be there and speak as honorary captain or something.

Some good comments DC. The Euros have definitely had better comraderie than we have over the years. While I agree a couple of the pairings playing and not playing were head scratchers, I think Phil should STFU. If I were Phil with my god awful RC record, I'd fly home not saying a word with my tail between my legs. The fact is he, Tiger and Furyk (Stricker too) have been our foremost golfers for the last decade and a half and they've all flat out sucked over the years at the RC. Though it was nice to see Furyk bounce back some the last couple of days. If Phil wants to play and not sit, he should try not sucking quite so badly. I don't disagree with the captain being willing to take more input and go with the pod system. But this wasn't the time or place to air such comments right after the event with Watson right there. Oh, and speaking of comraderie, Phil has been at the front and center over the years of our lack of comraderie. Eff Phil.

I think we have lost so much over the last 20 years because our top players, namely Tiger, Phil, and Furyk, have terrible records. Pairings matter, but not as much as playing well. Tim Finchem's money-grab FedEx Cup and the late season run doesn't help our efforts, but Rory, Stenson, and the top Euros don't seem to mind.

I liked the pods, as we obviously played well in 2008. But you can hate your partner and still make 5 birdies. I didn't like some of Watson's decisions, but none of them cost us the Cup. Europe played better.

For whatever reason, tiger woods - arguably the greatest golfer ever has a losing record in the Ryder cup

Some good comments DC. The Euros have definitely had better comraderie than we have over the years. While I agree a couple of the pairings playing and not playing were head scratchers, I think Phil should STFU. If I were Phil with my god awful RC record, I'd fly home not saying a word with my tail between my legs. The fact is he, Tiger and Furyk (Stricker too) have been our foremost golfers for the last decade and a half and they've all flat out sucked over the years at the RC. Though it was nice to see Furyk bounce back some the last couple of days. If Phil wants to play and not sit, he should try not sucking quite so badly. I don't disagree with the captain being willing to take more input and go with the pod system. But this wasn't the time or place to air such comments right after the event with Watson right there. Oh, and speaking of comraderie, Phil has been at the front and center over the years of our lack of comraderie. Eff Phil.

Didn't Phil go 2-1 this week? Probably one of his better efforts. But probably should have just let it be at the podium. All of the other noise is just that, noise. Our guys have just not played well for whatever reason.

couldnt agree more. eff that guy. such a fraud.

I see 13-17-3 for Tiger in 7 Ryder Cups on rydercup.com

Didn't Phil go 2-1 this week? Probably one of his better efforts. But probably should have just let it be at the podium. All of the other noise is just that, noise. Our guys have just not played well for whatever reason.

Yeah, he beat Gallacher today to go 2-1. He and Keegan were 1-1 on Friday, but Phil wasn't playing well - only player worse was Webb. Most of us prolly thought Phil should have sat Fri afternoon, but instead Watson sat him all day Sat. Phil's prolly just having a hissy fit because Watson had the audacity to sit him a whole day, which I'm sure Phil felt was demeaning to his status. But if this were truly "Phil's team", perhaps he should have come out playing better. He's 16-19-6 all-time at the RC, but I'd hardly say this was a great effort by him. If you were ranking the efforts of our guys this week, he certainly wouldn't be in my top half of our team. I thought our best looking players were the 3 rookies - Walker, Reed and Spieth.

Phil will have his turn as captain. In two years I'd have Raymond Floyd and Lanny Wadkins co-captain the team and only assholes are invited. Get some players with a pair like Horschel and let the chips fall... there is zero toughness on the American side.

Everyone thought Daly would fail in a Ryder Cup but I would have loved to see it. I think big John would have been great on the road. And the man could loosen up the locker room.

Back