• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2014 Ryder Cup Thread

President's Cup. So we play it every year, and Europe just plays it every other year.

Historically we are better in alternate shot and worse in fourballs. Its why europe always elects to have fourballs first when they host and we always play foursomes first when the event is in the US. We completely flipped our performance this year.

Ricky Fowler is starting to build up some serious scar tissue with all the almost finishes he has had. He might be in the early stages of Luke Donald disease.

I've done a complete 180 on Tiger being a captains pick after this. If he is even remotely healthy you have to put him on the team. We lack any sort of intimidation factor. You think the euros get nervous when they look over and see Matt Kuchar or Zachary Johnson or Webb Simpson? We can't win with nice guys. We need a few more dickheads like Reed.

Reed did remind me of a young Liquid Karma.

Sad to say, and though it's nice to see him play better over the weekend, I wouldn't give Furyk a captain's pick after his years of futility.

Dude has really lost the ability to close out a tournament or a match. As good as anyone up until that point. I think the 2012 US Open has left significant scar tissue.

No I'm not. There's hardly enough of a sample size for pretty much any golfer to have their record be statistically significant in the ryder cup.

Golf is a highly random game.

Are you saying that Phil and Tiger were much more likely to be playing the top players in Europe where as a Zach Johnson would be more likely to be matched up against a Euro who barely made it on the team or was a weak captain's choice?

It's an interesting argument by Plama. Ryder Cup records certainly don't account for who you play against or how well your opponent plays, and there may not be enough rounds to "normalize" the results. If I remember correctly, Friday morning Bubba/Webb made 0 birdies on their way to losing their four ball match. It's very fair to stay they stunk. Meanwhile, in 2012 Tiger/Stricker lost to Westwood/Colsaerts, but they did not stink at all. In fact, they probably played well enough to win any other match that week by going -9. But Colsaerts made 8 birdies and an eagle during that match so Europe won.

Does anyone think Tiger or Phil would have losing records if they had 1,000 matches under their belts?

Tiger and Phil have played about as many matches as a modern player could play.

Phil was totally accurate in his assessment, and while the timing may rub some the wrong way, it needed to be said. The only way to really shake this up is for a guy like Phil to publicly take a stand.

Get rid of having a captain. Be done with it. It's silly, and WAY to much emphasis is put on the captain. Once the team is set, regardless of his system the captain has no effect on the results. None. Pairings? Doesn't matter. It just comes down to playing well. These guys play in different groups every day of the year, and who is in their group should not and does not have any effect on their play. It's just silly.

And the first thing that needs to be told to the Americans is to stop changing your demeanor and style of play when you begin a Ryder Cup. Get rid of all the grimaces, the out of character fist pumps, the stares, the super fast walking paces - etc. Play YOUR game. Play and act the way you do when you play your best. Did you act that way when you won twice on tour this season and you played your best? Of course not. Do NOT change your style. Don't change the way you act just because you're in a dang Ryder Cup. Play and act the way you do when you are playing your best all year long. DO NOT change it!!! It's the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Be yourself, and be natural to what has come natural to you all these years when you have competed. Do NOT change that!! All of it is akin to staying in yoru routine. It's all just like a pre-shot routine. Stay with your repititions that you have used in every other tournament the last several years guys!! I mean, Furyk looks ridiculous with all these stare downs and gromaces and junk, and most of the rest of them too. Even do away with the high fives. You don't do that week to week, so don't do it now. Getting yourself all fired up might work in football, but it sure as hell doesn't work in golf - unless somehow you do it every day all year long. These guys act like idiots, and get completely out of their comfort zone. Result? They are mentally off, and have lost what they can rely on - themselves and what they do and feel naturally. You get bad speed on the greens. Big swings in adrenaline and therefore making distance control a crapshoot from the fairway.

Americans, just play the Ryder Cup the same way you play every other tournament. Stay within yourself. You wanna know why Phil has lost so many majors? Why Greg Norman did? Why so often it's a one hit wonder that wins a major? You have yoru reasons above. They go into a completely different mindset in preparing for and playing a major. In golf, DON'T DO THAT.

Last edited:
Back