• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2014 Ryder Cup Thread

No I'm not. There's hardly enough of a sample size for pretty much any golfer to have their record be statistically significant in the ryder cup.

Golf is a highly random game.

plama Ryder Cup Captain 2016!!!!!

No I'm not. There's hardly enough of a sample size for pretty much any golfer to have their record be statistically significant in the ryder cup.

Golf is a highly random game.

Compared to what?

You need a RC captain for the same reasons you need a college golf head coach. And yes, they play a very important role in getting a player in the position to play his best. It's more of a psychological approach than physical one, something that Azinger understood and so many others seem to ignore.

Pick any captain you want. Europe will beat them again at Hazeltine in two years. Europe has better players right now...and, more importantly...players with a hell of a lot better attitude. The American players, in many cases, are fat with cash, self-centered, smug, and don't seem to care a hell of a lot about the whole thing. Losing....again....didn't seem to bother several of them very much.

May want to check out $$$ won by the Euro team bob, not exactly standing in line at the soup kitchen themselves.

Ricky Fowler is starting to build up some serious scar tissue with all the almost finishes he has had. He might be in the early stages of Luke Donald disease.

I've done a complete 180 on Tiger being a captains pick after this. If he is even remotely healthy you have to put him on the team. We lack any sort of intimidation factor. You think the euros get nervous when they look over and see Matt Kuchar or Zachary Johnson or Webb Simpson? We can't win with nice guys. We need a few more dickheads like Reed.

I have never liked Fowler. But I think it's a tad early to write him off as having Donald Disease. He's shown a lot of improvement the last couple of years. And while he's not the longest player, he's long enough to contend. I think 1 of Donald's main problems these days with the ever lengthening courses is he's just too short to contend in most tournaments unless he has his best game in all facets. I think much the same is true with Zach Johnson, and it's a tribute to Zach that he can still qualify on points as short as he is - dude is just an amazing wedge player.

And I disagree we need more dickheads. Europe smoked us with 10 nice guys and 2 dickheads (for the record, Poulter is a complete dickhead, and I'd say Westwood is 2/3 of a dickhead and Sergio 1/3 of a dickhead these days). I didn't see any gamesmanship from these Euros like we used to see in the 1990s. And outside of the occasional fist pump, they weren't overly demonstrative and were very polite. Rory, GMac, Stenson, Bjorn, Dubuisson, Rose, Gallacher, Donaldson and Kaymer - which of those guys were jerks? Actually, Sergio too - he just goes about his business these days and doesn't act like a spoiled brat with the media like he used to. As for Tiger, what Euro is intimidated by him these days? For that matter, how many pros from whatever nationality are intimidated by him these days?

Let's say everyone is healthy/not suspended in January 2015, and there is another Ryder Cup that month, who is your team? Here's mine...in no order.

Reed
Spieth
Walker
Mahan
Horschel
Fowler
D. Johnson
Dufner
Z. Johnson
Woods
Kuchar
Bradley

One of the many disappointments this weekend was that Sergio wasn't an ass. I thought I would start hating him again.

Last edited:
It not about being a jerk, its about having the mental fortitude and gravitas to handle the situation. There is a fine line between the two, but there is a difference.

Reed probably had the biggest choke shot of the tournament when he missed the 2 footer on #16 Saturday afternoon. The next shot he hit was a driver in the middle of the fairway on #18. That tee shot plus his immediate reaction (he was still pissed, but it made him focus) showed that dude had the mental fortitude to handle the RC.

Let's say everyone is healthy/not suspended in January 2015, and there is another Ryder Cup that month, who is your team? Here's mine...in no order.

Reed
Spieth
Walker
Mahan
Horschel
Fowler
D. Johnson
Dufner
Z. Johnson
Woods
Kuchar
Bradley

One of the many disappointments this weekend was that Sergio wasn't an ass. I thought I would start hating him again.

Unfortunately there are guys on that team I want to replace, but I don't really have any viable alternatives. I think I would put Phil on and take Kuchar off. I'd also consider taking Fowler and Mahan off as well.

Basically, if you are a Golf Boy you lack the balls necessary to win the Ryder Cup.

I primarily put Kuch on there to give Tiger a familiar partner. I know Chris Kirk was the guy who was snubbed, but I don't think he would have made any difference.

I would actually prefer we do away with automatic qualifying. 12 picks.

Pick any captain you want. Europe will beat them again at Hazeltine in two years. Europe has better players right now...and, more importantly...players with a hell of a lot better attitude. The American players, in many cases, are fat with cash, self-centered, smug, and don't seem to care a hell of a lot about the whole thing. Losing....again....didn't seem to bother several of them very much.

Ian Poulter waiting for bkf so they can cruise:

gwar01_ian_poulter_at_home.jpg

poulter-cars-050114-640x360.jpg

Rory's directions to his house for bkf:

Rory-Mcllroys-home.png

bkf photographing a meal with his chum Jiminez:

miguel%252520angel%252520jimenez%25255B4%25255D.jpg

Wait, so bkf hates the Army-Navy game because he's anti-patriotism, he roots against the U.S. in the RC because he thinks golf is more of an individual game, yet he's mad the U.S. players are self centered? Just dizzying inconsistencies.

Wait, so bkf hates the Army-Navy game because he's anti-patriotism, he roots against the U.S. in the RC because he thinks golf is more of an individual game, yet he's mad the U.S. players are self centered? Just dizzying inconsistencies.

dude just performs for maximum trolling

What are you saying makes it so random then? Just the small difference between the top players in the world?

There's a relatively small difference between the top players in the world as you mentioned coupled with just the randomness of landing in a divot, or hitting 1 or 2 more or less 20 foot putts in a round having a large effect on whether someone has a 16-20 Ryder cup record or a 20-16 Ryder cup record.

It's only 36 rounds of golf either way. That's a stretch of 9 tournaments, not a big sample size in golf.

Tiger's gone 9 majors with winning 5 of them. He's also gone 9 majors winning none. You can take similar samples of stretches of 9 tournaments of pretty much any golfer in the world to make them look like the best of all time, or alternatively, the worst of all time.

Back