• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2015 Masters Thread

Golf is such a remarkable sport. Here is one of the top 4 tournaments in the world and the leader is 21 years old; but still in contention (that is under par) there is a 65 year old. Els played his first Masters 21 years ago, roughly the year Spieth was born. Remarkable.

Watched the replay last night, and they of course were heavily covering Tiger. He hit a few bad drives and approaches, but 2 things struck me. Those chips on 11 and 12 were great chips, so it looks like he's regained his short game. And he swung out of his shoes a few times and never did it appear his back was affected. Looks entirely different from the Tiger we saw in December and February.

If you only watched Tiger's tee shots and his approach shots and someone asked you what he shot, you'd guess +10 or worse. Instead he only trails Bubba and Rory by 2. I doubt he can keep that up today - he'll probably have a couple legit blowup holes - but to fight like that at Augusta in a tournament round after what he was doing a couple months ago... He really must have worked his ass off.

Tiger showing signs and Spieth playing awesome... Mickelson in the mix, Day playing well... Just need Rory to have a great Friday and we'll really be set up for a fun weekend.

I didn't realize until this morning that Greensboro amateur Scott Harvey is playing. If there is an amateur tournament in the North Carolina area, the dude has probably won it. He's +9 for the tournament, but who cares

Golf is such a remarkable sport. Here is one of the top 4 tournaments in the world and the leader is 21 years old; but still in contention (that is under par) there is a 65 year old. Els played his first Masters 21 years ago, roughly the year Spieth was born. Remarkable.

adds more credence to golf being a game. not a sport. anything you can do while smoking and drinking is not a sport.

Yeah DC. That approach he hit from the trees on 7 and the little low hook on 9 after 2 terrible shots were darned impressive. I'm not a Tiger fan and will never root for him, but I like seeing him back and competing at a decent level.

adds more credence to golf being a game. not a sport. anything you can do while smoking and drinking is not a sport.

I take pride in my ability to likely kick ur ass on the golf course whilst drinking. I'll give you as many mullies as you want, but you have to take a shot of Maker's if you do.

Of course, don't know if my back and hip will allow it anymore, but I've played some of my best golf very, very intoxicated. Thank you very much.

I don't know about that. You could smoke, drink and take a nap while playing baseball.

Endeavoring to hit a golf ball correctly, accurately, is the most difficult thing I have ever attempted to do in sport (with the exception of trying to hit a curve ball).

And I've drank copious beers while playing tennis effectively. Albeit doubles, but in the heat of summer.

In retrospect, not the smartest way to start a summer morning!

Spieth birdied #5 to get to -10. Dayum.

There is actually a guy in the field named Byrum Meth. If he has a daughter, it's a moral imperative that he names her Crystal.

Spieth birdied #5 to get to -10. Dayum.

There is actually a guy in the field named Byrum Meth. If he has a daughter, it's a moral imperative that he names her Crystal.

Byron*

Surprised to see that he was Asian. Not that I know much about the origins of Meth.

I got drunk and played roller hockey at the old hockey place on Country Club back in the day. Standing up on skates while tipsy is hard!

Looks like Tiger had a nice flop shot on 4. Unable to capitalize on 2 though. Hopefully Spieth doesn't run away with it so we get some SUN drama.

Still veeeeeeery early, but I wonder if this is Spieth's coming out party a la Tiger in 97

No I think is the answer. I don't think either Rory or Spieth are as big a deal as Tiger. Golf in the late 90s really hadn't had a true star since the early 80s when Watson was in his prime, and before that the big 4 of Nicklaus, Palmer, Player and Trevino. The best the late 80s and 90s had to offer were Norman and Faldo. So part of it was filling that void. Compared to now when we've had Tiger, Phil and to a lesser extent Vijay the last 15-20 years. Second, neither Spieth nor Rory are absolutely dominating the tour like Tiger was. For quite a while, Tiger was 1 of the longest, was a great iron player, had a magnificent short game and was the mentally toughest in the sport. I don't see Spieth or Rory being quite the complete package. Lastly, the tour has so much more chalk as of the last few years than it has ever had before. I don't think anyone will be able to dominate tournaments and majors in this environment like a Tiger or Jack once did. And given that depth of talent, you no longer see guys like Weir, Immelman, Curtis, Hamilton, Ogilvy and Micheel winning majors. There is too much chalk to climb over. If you look at 2010-14, the only multiple winners have been Rory, Kaymer, Phil and Bubba, and in all 20 events a legit name won.

Spieth may actually run away and hide- looking very comfortable playing with the lead.

Back