• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018-19 NBA Season Thread - NBA Finals Raptors Win #WeTheNorth

Why are you worried about Capela's salary if we aren't paying Butler?

With all the talk about Butler to Houston in a sign and trade, the Sixers would need a third team as they would have no use for Capela. First, the Sixers would need to get Gordon to do an extension.

Here, we got:

Houston gets - Butler
Sixers get - Gordon, Deandre Hunter, Kevin Huerter and an Atlanta 1st round pick ( andmaybe a Houston 1st Round pick)
Hawks get - Capela and PJ Tucker

Why the teams do it:

Houston covets Butler
Sixers get rid of a guy who doesn't really want to be there and pick up some shooters , a young wing defender and add quality, inexpensive depth.
Hawks- they have no rim protector. Tucker is an established and top level wing defender. Reddish is much better than Huerter so that's not a big loss. Getting Capela and Tucker should propel them into the playoffs next year making the draft pick not that big a deal.
lol

That money money could be used for another good player. Plus, Capela would not be happy to be a back-up. It's a no win situation and he has value in a trade.

I actually think Atlanta would be the biggest winner in that trade. They get two stud defenders and a lot of experience. Capela is the absolutely perfect center to play with Trae Young. He knows how PnR for dunks already and he can cover up for Trae's awful D. Also by having Capela, JC's defense would be improved. His length and athleticism could make him a very good or better help defender.

I'm not entirely sure the Sixers would give up those two for Hunter. Huerter would be 6th man in ATL by mid-season and 7th or 8th man in Philly. The 1st Round pick would be of marginal quality when the Hawks make the playoffs. Brand would have to believe Hunter will be an almost immediate impact player.

Jimmy will seethe in Houston standing around and waiting for Harden to eventually pass him the ball.

Classic RJ to attack another person for pointing out the obvious flaws in his trade fantasy.

The Hawks worked to position themselves just to take DeAndre Hunter last week. They aren't trading Hunter with 4 years of cheap control and another 1st round pick to be saddled with Clint Capela ($70 million over the next 4 years) and PJ Tucker's ($16 million over the next two years) salary obligations.

Classic RJ to attack another person for pointing out the obvious flaws in his trade fantasy.

The Hawks worked to position themselves just to take DeAndre Hunter last week. They aren't trading Hunter with 4 years of cheap control and another 1st round pick to be saddled with Clint Capela ($70 million over the next 4 years) and PJ Tucker's ($16 million over the next two years) salary obligations.

Typical Pilch silliness. Juice made a snide towards me and I treated him similarly.

The Hawks are tens of millions of dollars under the cap. They have no center. They were ranked the worst defensive team in the NBA and get two elite defenders.

In this era a 16.6/12.7/1.5 block elite defending center is easily worth $70M over 4 years. In fact, the only two people in the Top 10 in rebounding who made less than Capela than did last year were KAT and Vucecvic and they will be making far more than Capela next year. Capela was $5M or more less in salary than the other seven.

Once again, Pilch pontificates and doesn't know the facts.

In this era a 16.6/12.7/1.5 block elite defending center is easily worth $70M over 4 years. In fact, the only two people in the Top 10 in rebounding who made less than Capela than did last year were KAT and Vucecvic and they will be making far more than Capela next year. Capela was $5M or more less in salary than the other seven.

But you don't want this on the Sixers.

Not only that. The Hawks have worked very hard to build a young cheap roster with a ton of cap space after next season. They're not going to blow it on a 34 wing and a good but expensive C.

But you don't want this on the Sixers.

We have a massively better player at his position. It's one thing if they were guards or forwards, but they are centers. You only play one center (or less these days) at a time.

Add to this that Capela would be unhappy at his PT. This isn't fantasy bball where you can play both.

He's a great trade chip.

He should have fired his agent for getting him to sign that contract.

Hawks know what they are doing.

See above post for details. RJ done lost his goddamm mind.

I've been extremely impressed with the moves they've been making. They already have a cheap payroll and they're getting much cheaper and more talented.

Just looked over the roster and stats. I think they'll resign Dedmon if they can get a reasonable number for him. His numbers are very solid. 10.8 pts, 7.5 reb on 49/38/81 percentages in only 25 min/game. Young, Huerter, Hunter, Collins, Dedmon is a promising lineup.

Last edited:

See above post for details. RJ done lost his goddamm mind.

You're the one to talk.

Remind me again when a team was structured with just young players and succeeded?

Remind me who the Hawks have to stop anyone who drives to the basket?

I've been extremely impressed with the moves they've been making. They already have a cheap payroll and they're getting much cheaper and more talented.

Just looked over the roster and stats. I think they'll resign Dedmon if they can get a reasonable number for him. His numbers are very solid. 10.8 pts, 7.5 reb on 49/38/81 percentages in only 25 min/game. Young, Huerter, Hunter, Collins, Dedmon is a promising lineup.

agree totally. They are in an amazing position 12 months from now, and that will be coming off a "fun" season with perhaps a 6-8 seed.

You're the one to talk.

Remind me again when a team was structured with just young players and succeeded?

Remind me who the Hawks have to stop anyone who drives to the basket?

2013/2014 Golden State Warriors. They brought in Jermaine Oneal and Steve Blank on the cheap, but everyone was under 30 except those two. They went on to do what the Hawks want to do, leverage their future HOFers on the cheap while coaxing vets to sign on and then paying those guys that prove themselves once they are off their rookie deals. That is the Hawks blueprint.

They have cap space to sign a short term lane filler. Dedmon, as PH said, is most likely.

Sort of weird you are ignoring the Philly did some version of the same thing. Hawks don't need to win next year and don't expect to - if by winning you mean championships. Not going to win championships with a 21 year old PG and PF. See Golden State for details. What they expect is excitement for watching a young team improve and hope for the future. Hawks check all those boxes. Add to that $50 million + coming off the books next years with most of their young talent still on rookie deals and you have a crazy great place to be.

You could argue that the Hawks are in a better position than Golden State if you are projecting out 5-8 years (and they are).

I became a huge Hawks fan in the 80s with Nique and Doc and Cliff and Carr and John Battle and Rountree and Tree. Totally fell off the fanclub when they failed to draft CP3 for Marvin.

Back on after they drafted Collins. Thought they had stupided it up last year NOT drafting Luka, but was pleasantly surprised by Young + they got a draft pick they used to get both Hunter and Reddish this year. Kudos. As I said, I think they know what they are doing.

Blowing it all for Capela is not part of their blueprint me thinks.

And if their talent hits, they won’t need to spend on big time free agents. They can fill the bench with good players on reasonable cap friendly deals that will allow them to pay the young core when its time.

I think the Spurs are trying to do something like this as a soft reboot while winning with LMA and DeRozan but it’s difficult to do this from the end of the draft with big contracts on the roster.

agree totally. They are in an amazing position 12 months from now, and that will be coming off a "fun" season with perhaps a 6-8 seed.

Talk about being out of your damn mind...how many injuries are you expecting in the East for the Hawks to go from 29 wins to a 6-8 seed? Hunter is a nice defender but the Hawks were the worst defensive team in the NBA last year and still have no one in the middle.

As to next summer, the only big that will be available will be Andre Drummond.

Talk about being out of your damn mind...how many injuries are you expecting in the East for the Hawks to go from 29 wins to a 6-8 seed? Hunter is a nice defender but the Hawks were the worst defensive team in the NBA last year and still have no one in the middle.

As to next summer, the only big that will be available will be Andre Drummond.

The playoffs next year would be gravy. They opened the year 2-2 and then won 4 of their next 25 games mostly with Collins still out. They then went on a relatively nice couple of months as Young started to figure things out and Collins started playing. In fact, they had to throw some games a month left in the season to ensure draft position. They still finished only 12 games back of 8th.

You're doubling down on a bad hand, my friend. Remind me to play poker with you when your pockets are full. You're sitting on a pair of 2s.

What's the use of having space if you don't use it?

All I'm saying is what actually happened and that they haven't added any top level, experienced players.

ONLY 12 games out of the playoffs? :bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl:

Back