• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

OFFICIAL 2018 MLB PLAYOFFS Thread (Cubs free)

Phillies look less scary in future years than they did at the start of the season.

The narrative was that the high-levels of their farm system were stacked and those players were all knocking on the door. Turns out that when the door opened, they all fell on their faces. Hoskins has nice power numbers, but seems to be below average everywhere else. All the others - Crawford, Kingery, Alfaro - have multiple, glaring flaws. Then the FO traded for a bunch of mediocre or regression-prone veterans and fucked with their chemistry. (I typically don't buy the whole chemistry thing, but it has to at least be somewhat of a factor here). The only reliable piece is Nola, and even he regressed a bit over the last few weeks. Now they need at least one of Machado/Harper PLUS some other pieces or some major leaps by their young guys.

Meanwhile, the Dodgers have to be royally pissed that the Phillies have just rolled over for the Rockies.

The Yankees should let CC throw two innings over the weekend. Or just give him the money.

The narrative was that the high-levels of their farm system were stacked and those players were all knocking on the door. Turns out that when the door opened, they all fell on their faces. Hoskins has nice power numbers, but seems to be below average everywhere else. All the others - Crawford, Kingery, Alfaro - have multiple, glaring flaws. Then the FO traded for a bunch of mediocre or regression-prone veterans and fucked with their chemistry. (I typically don't buy the whole chemistry thing, but it has to at least be somewhat of a factor here). The only reliable piece is Nola, and even he regressed a bit over the last few weeks. Now they need at least one of Machado/Harper PLUS some other pieces or some major leaps by their young guys.

Meanwhile, the Dodgers have to be royally pissed that the Phillies have just rolled over for the Rockies.

In addition, most of the guys they drafted during the really bad years haven't done much yet in the minors. Turns out player development is part of the equation (I think they fired a bunch of minor league hitting coaches recently). Even when we had a good record in July, if you had listed the positives and negatives of the season and asked me to guess the record, I'd have put them around or below .500.

And the Phillies once more rolled over and played dead. Looks like they could finish the season on a long losing streak.

What a year for Whit Merrifield! I always thought he was a 4A org guy, but blossomed into our best player. Leads the AL in steals w 42. Happy for him and his family. Hope he gets paid.

What a year for Whit Merrifield! I always thought he was a 4A org guy, but blossomed into our best player. Leads the AL in steals w 42. Happy for him and his family. Hope he gets paid.

Both his parents are WF grads!

Why would you reward a guy for acting like an asshole and throwing at somebody just because you are a baby?

It would be nice if the Rays had broken his arm in a brawl.

NL Central and NL West tied going into the last day....."losers" go to the wild card game

Looks like we will have two tie breaker games. One for sure.

Baseball has wild numbers, but this one incredible. A's slugger Kris Davis has had a BA of exactly .247 in each of the past four seasons. I can't imagine that has ever happened before for a regular player.

The Twins montage made my day! Thanks for sharing. I don't think I want to my Phillies season ending video.

The Twins montage made my day! Thanks for sharing. I don't think I want to my Phillies season ending video.

I thought Halloween was in October, but the Phillies horrors covered much of September. Could have won the division, but instead finished below .500.

I thought Halloween was in October, but the Phillies horrors covered much of September. Could have won the division, but instead finished below .500.

At least went over the season win total at the 10th attempt on Saturday. Movies coulda been made about the bettors who lost had the Phils not finally come through

Yelich should punch Ryan Braun out after the game tonight. Braun is a whining prick.

In the 5th or 6th inning, Yelish was on first. Braun hits a liner that Desmond got a glove on. Yelich thought he was going to get doubled and got thrown out at second. Braun screamed at him and then kept yelling at Yelich in the dugout.

In the 8th, Yelich was on second with no outs. Braun hit another liner. It went off Arenado's glove but was hit so hard that the LF got it really quickly. Once again, Braun starts yelling at Yelich for not scoring. He had no shot to score.

Braun is acting like a total dick.

Are there any Brewers fans here? Is Jeffress always that shaky or did he just have the yips last night?

Feels like the Dodgers are going to homer their way into the WS and then go cold against the AL team. Unless said AL team is the Yankees. Then the O/U on HRs hit during the WS is going to be 87.

Giancarlo Stanton with the golden sombrero tonight against the Red Sox. Including coming up in the 9th inning , down by a run, and watching three strikes go by without the bat ever leaving his shoulder.

Back