• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

OFFICIAL 2018 MLB PLAYOFFS Thread (Cubs free)

Phillies will just have to sign Harper away from the Nats. Payback for Jason Werth.

Phillies should have a ton of cash sitting around next year, will be interesting to see who they target. Gotta imagine Machado is at the top of the list. Maybe Keuchel too.

Will be interested to see where the market goes for Harper.

His offense bounced back enough in the 2nd half so that teams can be confident that they are getting a 30 HR high OBP guy, but Harper has never driven in 100 runs; he strikes a lot, and the metrics on his defense are pretty bad. It has become clear that Harper will be a good player for many years, but it has also become clear that he is not transcendent player that he was projected to be. On the flip side, he is the kind of player that teams can market around. He will sell tickets and drive up TV ratings. All of those things get factored in.

I hope the Phillies don't take Harper. He'll be overpaid and is a prima donna.

Pay Machado...and get another couple of people who can catch the ball.

I hope the Phillies don't take Harper. He'll be overpaid and is a prima donna.

Pay Machado...and get another couple of people who can catch the ball.

Machado's not going to be cheaper than Harper, in fact he may be more.

That's OK. Machado is worth more. And isn't a problem in the clubhouse.

Harper may end up being surprised at the market for him. I doubt the Cubs will be willing to pay that much with contracts coming up for Baez, Rizzo, Bryant, et al. With Judge and Stanton (and their minor leaguers), the Yankees may not be ready to go all in on Harper.

That's OK. Machado is worth more. And isn't a problem in the clubhouse.

Harper may end up being surprised at the market for him. I doubt the Cubs will be willing to pay that much with contracts coming up for Baez, Rizzo, Bryant, et al. With Judge and Stanton (and their minor leaguers), the Yankees may not be ready to go all in on Harper.

The Cubs will give it a run - they have the core group locked in through 2022, except for Riz, hes 2020. The yanks have unlimited budget and will have room for him. The giants will probably make a run. I think it's a 4 team race among those 3 and the Nats.

I'm not sure Harper is the veteran you want in a clubhouse of mostly young guys.

Is this a joke?

2019 will be Harper's 8th in MLB. Pretty much makes him a veteran in service years, if not chronological years. He will be 28 before the end of the 2019 season.

Does he have the temperament you want as a clubhouse leader? I don't think he does.

2019 will be Harper's 8th in MLB. Pretty much makes him a veteran in service years, if not chronological years. He will be 28 before the end of the 2019 season.

Does he have the temperament you want as a clubhouse leader? I don't think he does.

He'll be 26 for most of the 2019 season. He's young and great and a lot of fun. He would fit in all club houses. This is a clown comment bro.

The Cubs will give it a run - they have the core group locked in through 2022, except for Riz, hes 2020. The yanks have unlimited budget and will have room for him. The giants will probably make a run. I think it's a 4 team race among those 3 and the Nats.

Seems odd to exclude the Phillies and Dodgers from your list, given their assets. The Braves are certainly a possibility, as are the Astros. There might even be a wild card team or two like the Rockies that takes a shot. The narrative that the market for Harper has shrunk due to his (somewhat) poor first half is just false.

Seems odd to exclude the Phillies and Dodgers from your list, given their assets. The Braves are certainly a possibility, as are the Astros. There might even be a wild card team or two like the Rockies that takes a shot. The narrative that the market for Harper has shrunk due to his (somewhat) poor first half is just false.

That wasn't my narrative, that was just my guess on the teams. I see the potential with the Braves, but have never seen them commit to big spending FAs in the past. Im not sold the Dodgers or Stros would sign him to the deal he wants - and the Stros are going to have to spend on their staff, with Keuchel & Morton FAs and Cole and Verlander with only 1 year left. But, I could be wrong, have been many, many times before.

Something people don't talk about is Harper has missed over 40 games in three of his last six years. What's going to happen as he ages?

Per Bovada:
DneuayAW0AAVwO8.jpg:large

Realize that the Yankees can't be outbid, but with Stanton and Judge as corner OFs for years to come; hard to see what need Harper fills for the Yankees. Realize that the Yankees got under the luxury tax threshold this past year, just so they could be big spenders this off-season, but my guess their targets will be Machado and every solid starting pitcher.

Back