• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018 NBA Offseason Thread: the preseason cometh

James Johnson had 31/11/6 in a Heat 2OT win.

He was huge in the 2nd OT. Big win for Miami and hard loss for Denver, who is fighting to make the playoffs in the West and are now 2 out in the loss column with a road game against the Wizards coming up. Seems like it is going to be the Clippers and Nuggets on the outside looking in, though I could see New Orleans or Minnesota falling off a cliff. Utah is going to make the playoffs almost exclusively due to Donovan Mitchell. He is flat out balling. In horrible uniforms all month long as well.

Big game between Minnesota and the Clippers tonight, I believe in Minneapolis. Doc has been bitching and moaning about calls the last few games (honestly, for good reason so far as I can tell), but this loss should be it. They did remarkable work to stay in the playoff hunt after trading Blake. Detroit falling off the cliff is inexplicable. The odd thing is after the trade, they won 6 games in a row, then picked up Jameer Nelson who almost immediately began bitching about Van Gundy's offensive sets going back to his Orlando days with him (then why did he sign?), and they have lost like 12 of 15 games since they signed him.

He was huge in the 2nd OT. Big win for Miami and hard loss for Denver, who is fighting to make the playoffs in the West and are now 2 out in the loss column with a road game against the Wizards coming up. Seems like it is going to be the Clippers and Nuggets on the outside looking in, though I could see New Orleans or Minnesota falling off a cliff. Utah is going to make the playoffs almost exclusively due to Donovan Mitchell. He is flat out balling. In horrible uniforms all month long as well.

Big game between Minnesota and the Clippers tonight, I believe in Minneapolis. Doc has been bitching and moaning about calls the last few games (honestly, for good reason so far as I can tell), but this loss should be it. They did remarkable work to stay in the playoff hunt after trading Blake. Detroit falling off the cliff is inexplicable. The odd thing is after the trade, they won 6 games in a row, then picked up Jameer Nelson who almost immediately began bitching about Van Gundy's offensive sets going back to his Orlando days with him (then why did he sign?), and they have lost like 12 of 15 games since they signed him.

Between that and Chris’s success with the Rockets, this hasn’t been a great year for Blake’s basketball reputation.

Seems like it is going to be the Clippers and Nuggets on the outside looking in, though I could see New Orleans or Minnesota falling off a cliff.

Minny has a really easy schedule left. Memphis x2, ATL, Knicks, Dallas.

Pelicans and Jazz have it pretty rough. As does LAC and Denver, as well.

Between that and Chris’s success with the Rockets, this hasn’t been a great year for Blake’s basketball reputation.

Don't get too far ahead of yourself. One of the reasons that Houston went gonzo this year to get three HOFs is that 2017 NBA MVP James Harden shat the fucking bed in the playoffs last year against the Spurs, coming up with the biggest of all eggs in Game 6 at home with Kawhi out with an injury. Interestingly, Houston became a better team when they failed to get Melo and were "forced" to keep 3-point marksman and future super duper Sunday school teacher, Ryan Anderson.

Interestingly, the HOF they DID get, Chris Paul, has a similar reputation for shatting the bed in big playoff games. Chris, bless him, owns several of the biggest playoff fuckups this side of Isiah Thomas throwing the ball away to Larry Bird in 1987.

This has been a non story so far this year through a remarkable year, but come round 1 this year when Houston plays a really good #8 seed most likely, it will all resurface again. Both players have a lot to prove in games with everything on the line.

Don't get too far ahead of yourself. One of the reasons that Houston went gonzo this year to get three HOFs is that 2017 NBA MVP James Harden shat the fucking bed in the playoffs last year against the Spurs, coming up with the biggest of all eggs in Game 6 at home with Kawhi out with an injury. Interestingly, Houston became a better team when they failed to get Melo and were "forced" to keep 3-point marksman and future super duper Sunday school teacher, Ryan Anderson.

Interestingly, the HOF they DID get, Chris Paul, has a similar reputation for shatting the bed in big playoff games. Chris, bless him, owns several of the biggest playoff fuckups this side of Isiah Thomas throwing the ball away to Larry Bird in 1987.

This has been a non story so far this year through a remarkable year, but come round 1 this year when Houston plays a really good #8 seed most likely, it will all resurface again. Both players have a lot to prove in games with everything on the line.

I agree they both have a lot to prove, but I think their playoff woes have been overstated, especially Chris’s.

Chris shit the bed in the 1. The last two games against Denver in 2009 after carrying his team to a 7 seed with one of the best individual seasons of all time and 2. The last minute of game 5 @ OKC in 2014. That’s it.

The rest of his playoff career can be summed up as him being not quite good enough to carry a shitty or collapsing supporting cast past the second round despite stellar individual play.

A lot of great players have shit the bed at some point in their playoff careers, most have been fortunate enough to have supporting casts that can make up for it. Chris and James haven’t until now.

Maybe I just have a blind spot to it but does CP have a series of playoff eggs? Obv his teams haven’t advanced but I think it’s like 80% injuries, 10% running into better teams, and 10% choking. Pretty sure his individual playoff numbers are close to GOAT status.

I do recall he wilted against the Spurs in like 2008 maybe?

Maybe I just have a blind spot to it but does CP have a series of playoff eggs? Obv his teams haven’t advanced but I think it’s like 80% injuries, 10% running into better teams, and 10% choking. Pretty sure his individual playoff numbers are close to GOAT status.

I do recall he wilted against the Spurs in like 2008 maybe?

Nope. He put up 24/11 with 2.5 steals on 50% shooting that series, including 18/8/14 in a game 7 loss.

Chris beat the Spurs the year after Duncan's last championship with a fadeaway bank shot over ... Tim Duncan as time expired in a Game 6 but the OK City game to me is hard to forget. The Clippers had OK City beat. Up 4 with 17 seconds left. Give up a 3 to Durant, but still up 1 with the ball. All Chris had to do was bring the ball up the court and get fouled. Instead, he got cutesy with it and tried to take a 3/4 court shot so he would get 3 shots - only to have the ball stolen and OK City makes the shot to go up 1. CP3 gets the ball again with 6 seconds left, but loses the ball again. Not a good 17 seconds for him.

But he had some bad series in the playoffs too.

His body has betrayed him in quite a few playoff series. Twice pulling a hamstring and a third time breaking his hand.

Chris beat the Spurs the year after Duncan's last championship with a fadeaway bank shot over ... Tim Duncan as time expired in a Game 6 but the OK City game to me is hard to forget. The Clippers had OK City beat. Up 4 with 17 seconds left. Give up a 3 to Durant, but still up 1 with the ball. All Chris had to do was bring the ball up the court and get fouled. Instead, he got cutesy with it and tried to take a 3/4 court shot so he would get 3 shots - only to have the ball stolen and OK City makes the shot to go up 1. CP3 gets the ball again with 6 seconds left, but loses the ball again. Not a good 17 seconds for him.

He’s had two bad series (09 Denver, and 12 Spurs), both losses, and two merely OK series (14 Warriors and 15 Memphis), both wins, otherwise he’s been brilliant.

That game winning shot in 2015 was game 7. It was later in the evening on Derby Day. I was at a Derby party (obviously) and was watching it by myself and left as soon as the game ended I was so depressed. That was the Duncan Spurs last run. I will go to my grave convinced they would have won another title if they had won that game.

he had some bad turnovers at the end of that one playoff game against the thunder when the clips prob had their best shot at making the finals

Somehow I forgot all about the clipse blowing the 3-1 lead to the rox in 2015.

Harden is just filthy

He's absolutely insane. He shoots 40% on iso threes (60 eFG%). Harden jacking up an iso 3 is better than Dame or Derozan on all shots. He's having by far the best isolation scoring season of all time on a massive volume of isolation possessions.

Back