• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018 NBA Offseason Thread: the preseason cometh

So Teague in Minnesota vs. CP3 in Houston
JJ in Miami vs. Philly
Aminu in Portland vs. NO

Ish and John Collins are the Deacs nots in the playoffs.

i wonder which nba playoff teams crawford and doral will be on this time next year

So Teague in Minnesota vs. CP3 in Houston
JJ in Miami vs. Philly
Aminu in Portland vs. NO

Ish and John Collins are the Deacs nots in the playoffs.

I don’t think we’ve had a year since the Dino Deacs entered the league in which all the NBA Deacs made the playoffs.

I give Chip Engellend just as much credit for improving his shooting.

I also give Duncan the credit for setting the example.

Duncan is the reason Pop’s career is greater than Don Nelson’s.

Ludicrous...Don Nelson was a slightly above average coach. Pop is the greatest coach of all time.

Dis dude stole your Don Nelson reference

Matt Steinmetz

Verified account

@SteinmetzNBA
Follow Follow @SteinmetzNBA
More
Gregg Popovich is a basketball genius. So was Don Nelson. Beyond dispute. But coaches, like players, lose their fastball. Nellie did, and feels like Popovich has, too.

Getting this Spurs squad to playoffs may be Pop's best coaching job ever. He has clearly not lost his fastball. For this reason alone, Steinmetz's post can't be taken seriously.

yeah pop worked some voodoo to get this spurs roster to the playoffs

Clearly. This team has one good player and he is essentially a Pop reclamation project. If you had to rank the best players on the 3 to 8 seeds, LMA would be the only one in the top 20 maybe 30.

LOL, classic spurs donk

LMA was 2nd Team All-NBA his last season with the Blazers and was an all-star in his last four seasons there

what did Pop reclaim?

LOL, classic spurs donk

LMA was 2nd Team All-NBA his last season with the Blazers and was an all-star in his last four seasons there

what did Pop reclaim?

The LMA who was 2nd Team All-NBA his last season with the Blazers and was an all-star in his last four seasons there.

What a dumb question.

This spurs roster isn’t that bad. It’s just got a max contract sized hole in the roster. That being said, the West was pretty tough this season.

I’m not sure if your point. The Spurs aren’t sitting him. The Spurs with a less than 100% Kawhi aren’t contending. From Kawhi’s perspective it makes sense to sit out, get back to 100%, return to MVP status, and get paid.

By the way, if the organization hadn’t invested so much energy into get LMA back to being an elite player and Parker and Manu weren’t winding down their careers, I think they would have be content to let all the records lapse and tank this year.

I hope the Spurs see this as preserving a long term investment instead of Kawhi bailing.

I'd be worried if i were a Spurs fan. I can't imagine Pop staying super motivated if they have to move Kawhi. Now you're talking about a core of LMA (32), Danny Green (30) and Patty Mills? All while some of the former western conference bottom feeders start to build real momentum with some young stars - the Jazz, Pelicans, Wolves, Nuggets, Lakers are all going to be good to very good for the next 3-5 years. Plus the Warriors and Rockets are set up to be the Western Conference contenders for at least the next handful of seasons. And then the Blazers and Thunder are firmly playoff caliber teams that don't have contender upside but are still good enough to hang around middle playoff seeds.

Parker and Manu are great, but Duncan made them HoFers.

Besides the lack of Kawhi, the biggest problem with the Spurs has been stupidity. Double digit 4Q leads and they keep shooting early in the clock against teams that want to run. Slow the damn game down and they win those games. Just goes to show there is only so much the coach can enforce once the ball is rolled out. Listening to Sean Elliott continually say 'slow it up' late in the game while they kept on jacking up early shots was painful.

Kawhi could real make himself a legend if he came back for this series and they beat GS, which gives them sort of a free pass to the WCF (yeah Utah would be tough). But hey, sports now, is all about the cash and not the legacy.

Kawhi is preserving the cash and legacy. He’s 26.

Never woulda guessed the all time leader in playoff wins as a player is Derek Fisher

Never woulda guessed the all time leader in playoff wins as a player is Derek Fisher

Not a surprise. He's the ultimate ring chaser. He used his daughter's health issue to get out of a contract to be closer to her doctors and then signed to play on the opposite side of the country.

I’m not sure if your point. The Spurs aren’t sitting him. The Spurs with a less than 100% Kawhi aren’t contending. From Kawhi’s perspective it makes sense to sit out, get back to 100%, return to MVP status, and get paid.

By the way, if the organization hadn’t invested so much energy into get LMA back to being an elite player and Parker and Manu weren’t winding down their careers, I think they would have be content to let all the records lapse and tank this year.

I hope the Spurs see this as preserving a long term investment instead of Kawhi bailing.

I'd be worried if i were a Spurs fan. I can't imagine Pop staying super motivated if they have to move Kawhi. Now you're talking about a core of LMA (32), Danny Green (30) and Patty Mills? All while some of the former western conference bottom feeders start to build real momentum with some young stars - the Jazz, Pelicans, Wolves, Nuggets, Lakers are all going to be good to very good for the next 3-5 years. Plus the Warriors and Rockets are set up to be the Western Conference contenders for at least the next handful of seasons. And then the Blazers and Thunder are firmly playoff caliber teams that don't have contender upside but are still good enough to hang around middle playoff seeds.

Parker and Manu are great, but Duncan made them HoFers.

Kawhi is preserving the cash and legacy. He’s 26.

Would Willis Reed had ever came back into the game in today's cash first view of the world?

That's a legacy. Duncan sticking with SA is a legacy move (i.e. given that Hill and McGrady didn't last he would have been stuck in Orlando and probably need to change teams again).

And I get he has the chance to earn $200M, but it's idiotic to act like the 10's of millions he's earned is a paupers wage. There is about zero reason's that Kahwi isn't back on the court.

Back