• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018 NBA Offseason Thread: the preseason cometh

Phil is not on the Olympic podium of greatest NBA coaches - Pop, Red Auerbach, Red Holtzman.

He would be in the next group:

Dr. Jack
Chuck Daley
Larry Brown
Alex Hanum
John Kundla

Pat Riley is overrated. The only decent result in his last eighteen years is when he screwed VanGundy out of his ring.

Pau most years is good for 18 & 10 as a secondary star. Love most years is good for 18 & 10 as a secondary star. Both are stretch bigs who rebound and pass well, and can shoot an open 3. The only difference between Love and Pau is that Pau can stay healthy and have a longer career.

Nah, fam. Pau is a HOFer. International experience matters. Love has much work to do.

Pau most years is good for 18 & 10 as a secondary star. Love most years is good for 18 & 10 as a secondary star. Both are stretch bigs who rebound and pass well, and can shoot an open 3. The only difference between Love and Pau is that Pau can stay healthy and have a longer career.

What? They’re completely different players. Pau could actually defend. Don’t sleep on how good he was in the 2000s.

i feel like i've scrolled into the comments section of a jordan youtube highlight comp

in fact hold on let me go get some copypasta

Are you trying to suggest that Phil Jackson isn’t a top 5 all-time coach?

Because Lebron may have had some bottom 100 all-time coaches.

I'm saying 10 years ago, Phil looked like a guy who took over for coaches who underachieved with great talents. After his time with the Knicks, his reputation as a great basketball mind isn't a strong as it was. Perhaps he got to Jordan and Kobe when they were ready.

By contrast, Riley has done wonders with a Heat franchise who should have fallen part before and after Lebron.

It's not fair, but it's a tiebreaker between Phil and Riley for GOAT coach.

I agree Lebron has had some crap coaches and crap management and ownership in Cleveland.

in his prime he'll whoop lebron james thats the truth and not just facts.. he already shown that he likes challenge thats why he' s the greatest!

I'm telling yall Lebron has to win this year, retire, go play baseball then come back and eventually three-peat. THEN HE WILL BE UNQUESTIONABLY THE GOAT. it would be 7 rings until then yall keep chewing on ballsacks.

LeBron is better in stats but MJ is the most competitive most clutch most smooth and one of the most athletic players that the NBA has ever seen so he is the GOAT. (And he was moved to PG once for 11 games and he had 10 triple doubles. Just a little fun fact that proves his greatness.)

Yes!, here is an interesting stat: LeBron has never played all 82 games in a season, Jordan did it 9 times (and another he played 81) he even played all 82 games as a Wizard in 2002-2003 at age 39/40. Before Jordan turned 40 years old the record for most points by a 40 year old player was 23 pts by Kareem Abdul Jabbar -- Jordan scored 23 or more 15 times at age 40 including a 43 Pt performance just 3 days after his 40th birthday (he wanted to break the record on his birthday but the Knicks' game scheduled on his birthday was canceled due to snow if my memory serves...so he had to wait 3 days.)

IMO Jordan is to basketball what Ali was to boxing, what Michael Jackson was to music, what Gretzky was to hocky, hell what Hogan, Stone Cold & Rock was to wrestling, what Pac and BIG was to rap, what the Beatles were to Rock and Roll. Jordan simply put transcend the sport of basketball and they'll never be another Icon like him.

LeBrick sucks mj is the god of basket ball every time I play basket ball I honor for how much he has changed the nba

MVPs
Jordan - 5
Lebron - 4

Championships
Jordan - 6
Lebron - 3

Finals MVPs
Jordan - 6
Lebron - 3

Scoring Titles
Jordan - 10
Leborn - 1

Defensive Player of the Year
Jordan - 1
Lebron - 0

if he didn't lose in the finals so much maybe, champions matter. If a boxer whipped everyones ass before the championship and lost every time this wouldn't be an arguement, basketball is a team sport, but if he's the greatest he shouldn't be losing with the team that got him there. He loses with all star and HOF teammates, Jordan only played with 2 HOF and only one played won all 6 with him. The only loss I don't blame LeBron for is the 1st one against the warriors because of him losing his best teammates to injury.

To me the great unknown with Lebron is how long can he play at a high level? His athleticism is still insane in his mid 30s.

To me the great unknown with Lebron is how long can he play at a high level? His athleticism is still insane in his mid 30s.

Age isn’t the issue. He’s played a ton of minutes in a ton of games. I think he will still be an elite player but will he win championships? Will he latch onto possibly better players and extend his career?

Official 2017 NBA Thread: where is irish?

Age isn’t the issue. He’s played a ton of minutes in a ton of games. I think he will still be an elite player but will he win championships? Will he latch onto possibly better players and extend his career?

Hard to think that he won’t given the current NBA climate. I think he’s got several more championships in him depending on the other super teams in his way.

I do feel about his career like I did about Tiger Woods before the bottom fell out. Just seemingly limitless potential.

y'all realize that there are a number of connotations for the phrase GOAT and it's virtually impossible to have a substantive discussion without agreeing upon which connotation for that term you are discussing first, right?

my GOAT is not your GOAT

hell that's why Space Jam even came up in this convo - because for some, media representation contributes to the feeling of GOATness.

what defines the bball GOAT?

Agreed which is why even those of us who think Jordan is #1 think Lebron will eventually surpass him.

Tiger is the only athlete I can think of with as much upside at 33 as Lebron.

Back