• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2020-21 NBA Finals - Milwaukee Bucks win the NBA Championship!

I think Ingram or Brown fits better with Embiid than Simmons. I don’t know how many people would say Simmons is obviously better than them. And we’ve seen Jamal Murray get to the conference finals with an elite versatile C.

I think if you are trying to construct a championship level team with Ben Simmons, you need to think of/use him like peak Draymond Green, and hope he realizes a higher ceiling than that.

I think Ingram or Brown fits better with Embiid than Simmons. I don’t know how many people would say Simmons is obviously better than them. And we’ve seen Jamal Murray get to the conference finals with an elite versatile C.

I guess you could look at these advanced #s and draw your own conclusions, or you could just look at the FT and 3Pt numbers and call it a day.

iDH7ib2.png

The best fits in retrospect were probably reaches, Hield or Murray. Sabonis will eventually probably be the best player in the class.

The Sixers were still in BPA mode by the Simmons draft, rather than drafting for fit, and when the roster at that point still had a bunch of bigs, it definitely wasn't an obvious fit. A lot of scrambling since then to try and make it work rather than just trading Ben at the peak of his value. I suspect he will not return next year to the Sixers, and the trade value the Sixers get for him will be an all-time low.

the sixers had the best record in the conference! the playoff results haven’t been there but that is still a bit of a crapshoot. compared to where a bunch of other orgs are, tough to not call the process a success.

i’m a doc apologist but i had season tix and watched just about every clippers game during seasons spanning vinny del negro and doc and there was a clear difference imo.

the problem with simmons more than anything is that he’s lazy (apparently). i think that’s also where i underestimated devin booker. i rolled my eyes at the “mamba mentality” comps but he is obsessed with improving his game while simmons seems just happy to live his life.

the sixers had the best record in the conference! the playoff results haven’t been there but that is still a bit of a crapshoot. compared to where a bunch of other orgs are, tough to not call the process a success.

i’m a doc apologist but i had season tix and watched just about every clippers game during seasons spanning vinny del negro and doc and there was a clear difference imo.

Flipside, they had home court vs wiz and hawks as their path to ECF and couldn't get it done. Hard to imagine the path getting easier going forward!

I think if you are trying to construct a championship level team with Ben Simmons, you need to think of/use him like peak Draymond Green, and hope he realizes a higher ceiling than that.

I agree with this

Official 2020-21 NBA Conference Finals - Suns/Clips and Bucks/Hawks

The league forgot about the Hawks and underestimated them. Those of us who have been following the Hawks and their rebuild knew it was just a matter of time. I think we got caught up in Lloyd Pierce being such a good dude that we didn’t realize he was holding them back.

I mentioned Ben as Draymond above. I don’t know if Ben has Draymond’s type of BBIQ to be the ultimate X-factor who can impact games without the ball but make the right play when he does. He definitely doesn’t have Draymond’s work ethic and junkyard dog mentality.

Last edited:
My coaches takes colored by Cavs fandom. Ty Lue is actually good, especially with adjustments defensively. Like, he vaporized the original (pre KD) death line up from the Warriors. And yeah Lebron was a defensive monster then (though passed his peak), and TT was a perfect big for that series. But they also had Kyrie and Kevin Love playing heavy minutes, and JR smith wasn't exactly a stopper.

Also from the Cavs fan glasses, Bud is very, very bad. Those two Hawks-Cavs series, back to back sweeps in 15 and 16. I'm not sure what the goal even really was with his scheme. I think it was trying to limit Lebron drives. But he just allowed wide open 3s, for 4 straight losses, 2 years in a row. It was wild.

Flipside, they had home court vs wiz and hawks as their path to ECF and couldn't get it done. Hard to imagine the path getting easier going forward!

shit happens. vegas gave the hawks a 25% chance to win but ended up making more plays in the close games which i think is largely a matter of circumstance.

it’s fun to build narratives and exciting when they are overcome but i think the reality is mostly just stuff evening out.

The league forgot about the Hawks and underestimated them.

I know I didn't! I told d14 I was worried about the matchup before the playoffs started. Teams with excellent guard play destroy the Sixers. Even limiting Trae in the series, the Sixers really struggled to get easy baskets.

Official 2020-21 NBA Conference Finals - Suns/Clips and Bucks/Hawks

Best thing you’ll see all day.

Last edited:
Happy for Mit Shah. The dude is a good man and has done a hell of a lot of good things for our program, obviously.

Was really cool seeing Forbes tweeting out all the Pro Deacs love last night. Gotta be good for recruiting that we have 3 guys in the conference finals, only second to UK who has 4.

So.... Simmons for McCollum? Should help shore up the 'Zers on the defensive end (they were 29th this year)

Okafor over Porzingis in 15
Fultz over Tatum in 17

Those are the two big misses. Embiid in 14, Simmons in 16 were both good picks, they're the best two players in those two draft classes, and were taken 3rd and 1st.

I won't speak for how poorly run Sacramento, Minnesota, Orlando, or Phoenix have been. Getting draft value is important, obviously, and few teams do it consistently well.

Huh? Ingram, Brown, Murray, Sabonis, Siakam are all much better players than Simmons. Probably Buddy Hield too.

Huh? Ingram, Brown, Murray, Sabonis, Siakam are all much better players than Simmons. Probably Buddy Hield too.

vbMn21n.png

you can draw your own conclusions, but this doesn't even include steals or blocks, where ben would also lead or be 2nd of the group

Billups and Hammon are two of the finalists for the Blazers job.

Back