• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2020-21 NBA Finals - Milwaukee Bucks win the NBA Championship!

Kind of agree, but LeBron's title in Cleveland was legit. Yes, he had Kyrie (he did miss almost half that season), the Cavs didn't have much. JR Smith was the Cav's 3rd leading scorer, and Cleveland did beat a super-team to win that title. That said, if titles are considered the key factor in determining greatness (which is flawed IMO), how you got the title has to be part of that analysis. Jordan's and Tim's home grown titles are far more impressive than KD's or LeBron's super-team titles.

An example in another sport is Peyton's 2nd super-bowl with the Broncos. That Broncos team won the Super Bowl in spite of him of Peyton, not because of him. At least half of the starting QBs in the NFL that season would've won a super bowl with that Broncos team.

That 2016 warriors team got there the right way through drafts. Wouldn’t call them a super team until KD joined the following season.

That 2016 warriors team got there the right way through drafts. Wouldn’t call them a super team until KD joined the following season.

What makes that a super team is that they added a top 5 player to a championship core. Otherwise it’s just a key pickup like Jrue or CP.

What makes that a super team is that they added a top 5 player to a championship core. Otherwise it’s just a key pickup like Jrue or CP.

I'd argue cp is more than a key pick up. He pulls teams up by their own bootstraps and drags them to a next level.

I'm sorry for being a jerk, i think i mighta mixed you up with the Tarhole cuz your avatars have similar color schemes and feature some of my favorite images on this great green earth.
no worries dude, it's so hard to compare eras, i think bill simmons does a good job because he consults with a bunch of top guys like bob ryan and russillo (russillo is a huge CP3 fan)

A couple of thoughts.

JManslow's top three point guards as Magic, Steph and Oscar was an eye opener. Never really considered Steph until then, but I have no argument. Bounced it off my brother (also a fossil). He was surprised but agreed. All three changed how the position was perceived with a skill set beyond their contemporaries. Kudos JManslow.

Comparing today's game with the past is fruitless. The shooting today is phenomenal. How well those shooters would fare if they had to face the physical, hands on nature of defense in the past is another matter. Today, the game is called for the benefit of the offense exclusively. Not so in the past. Two entirely different games. Great players from the past would be great players today. Today's best would have been stars in the past. Each would adapt their game to succeed however the game is played.

FWIW, Wilt Chamberlain reputedly had an incredibly accurate outside shot, especially from the corner. It was never seen in games because he was most valuable down low. That's what paid the bills. I doubt he was alone in that skill.

I was looking at some of the old time greats stats today and was surprised to see how bad the shooting was, even for the big stars. Russell , Mikan, and Petit were dominant big men and none of them ever got even close to 50% shooting. bob cousey was a career 37% shooter and never once hit 40% shooting. I guess that is why some of the rebounding numbers are so insane from that era, lots of bricks being shot.
Weirdest stat I found: 1961-62 Wilt Chamberlain averaged 48.5 minutes played per game. Crazy.

Last edited:
I was looking at some of the old time greats stats today and was surprised to see how bad the shooting was, even for the big stars. Russell , Mikan, and Petit were dominant big men and none of them ever got even close to 50% shooting. bob cousey was a career 37% shooter and never once hit 40% shooting. I guess that is why some of the rebounding numbers are so insane from that era, lots of bricks being shot.
Weirdest stat I found: 1961-62 Wilt Chamberlain averaged 48.5 minutes played per game. Crazy.

It is a helluva lot harder to shoot when you are getting bodied up before you get the ball, handchecked when you receive it, and undercut while you are shooting. The typical shot sequence from 30 years ago would result in 3 separate fouls today.

It is a helluva lot harder to shoot when you are getting bodied up before you get the ball, handchecked when you receive it, and undercut while you are shooting. The typical shot sequence from 30 years ago would result in 3 separate fouls today.

30 years ago was the 90s, geezer. SC is talking about basketball in the 60s.

Three point shooting now is as good as it was during the shortened three point line in the mid-90s on more than twice as many attempts.

Fewest fouls and FT attempts with the highest FT%.

I read this and thought 'who hates bob ryan' then his "There are no virgins in college basketball" line about Skip came rushing back, ughhhh

that and i just don't get down with all the boston reporters that go on and on about larry bird stories

I feel like the Pellies going all in on 35 year old Kyle Lowry is unwise

I feel like the Pellies going all in on 35 year old Kyle Lowry is unwise

Yeah. For both sides. The Pelicans just need a good coach, improvement, and a few role players.

Celebrity Renovation on CBS right meow has CP3 renovating his Grandma's home in Winston with a full interview inside the Joel.

Back