• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2020-21 NBA Finals - Milwaukee Bucks win the NBA Championship!

Meh. I’d seriously doubt the Hawks would win any of those three series, but I agree with Townie that the best matchup would probably be the 76ers. We have absolutely no one capable of stopping Giannis, and we’d just have to outscore the Nets by scoring like 130 to have a chance.

The Hawks are so injured right now that it’s stupid though, and based on how this season has gone I have no reason to believe that will change for the playoffs. Even still a 4/5 matchup against the Heat or Celtics would be fun

How many games this season have Trae, Collins, Capela, Huerter, Bogdan, Gallo, Reddish, Hunter all been in the lineup? That was supposed to be the main rotation. It has to be under 10 and none with McMillan as head coach.

I would pull for the Hawks sooooo hard against the Celtics

How many games this season have Trae, Collins, Capela, Huerter, Bogdan, Gallo, Reddish, Hunter all been in the lineup? That was supposed to be the main rotation. It has to be under 10 and none with McMillan as head coach.

All of those in the same game? It's 1, our 4th game of the year at the Nets. Every other game at least one of those guys was out, and more often two at a time.

Of 56 games: Trae's missed 5 games, Collins 9, Capela 7, Huerter 0, Bogdan 25, Gallo 17, Reddish 30, Hunter 36, and Kris Dunn 56. Reddish, Hunter, Dunn were supposed to be the guys covering up Trae on defense, so you can make your own conclusions about how we are 4th in the East while missing those guys for 122 out of 168 games.

(don't forget the refs! they also play a part in injuries somehow!)

Lamarcus Aldridge was diagnosed with Wolf-Parkinson-White syndrome back in 2007. So he's been dealing with heart arrhythmia for a long time. He is lucky he was able to play this long with it. He should be able to live the life most of us live for a long time with it.

I know this graphic is numbers on Twitter based on wild underlying assumptions with a "metric" thrown in for credibility so it is to be taken as #facts, but there is a big fucking difference between the Nets, Lakers, and Clippers sitting guys with nothing wrong with them to manage their hot heavy loads and the Hawks and Bullets who have lost guys to actual serious injuries.

Regardless, there is no logical reason why this compressed season shouldn't have been 60 games instead of 72.

I know this graphic is numbers on Twitter based on wild underlying assumptions with a "metric" thrown in for credibility so it is to be taken as #facts

I don't know what this means other than that you are blindly saying that win shares is a made up stat. Your posts about the Hornets make it seem as though you believe they have lost out on more potential wins than most other NBA teams due to injuries (related to a compressed schedule). Those tweets should show you that isn't the case (at this point in the season), and that they haven't even lost that many total games to injury relative to other teams.

Your point that sitting injured players impacts the top tier teams less because a regular season win is less important to them is true, but we're talking about only a handful of teams there. I'm also fairly certain that this measure does not consider a player resting for load management to be an injury. If you're suggesting guys like Lebron or AD would come back faster from injuries on a team fighting to make the playoffs, that's probably true.

I don't know what this means other than that you are blindly saying that win shares is a made up stat. Your posts about the Hornets make it seem as though you believe they have lost out on more potential wins than most other NBA teams due to injuries (related to a compressed schedule). Those tweets should show you that isn't the case (at this point in the season), and that they haven't even lost that many total games to injury relative to other teams.

Your point that sitting injured players impacts the top tier teams less because a regular season win is less important to them is true, but we're talking about only a handful of teams there. I'm also fairly certain that this measure does not consider a player resting for load management to be an injury. If you're suggesting guys like Lebron or AD would come back faster from injuries on a team fighting to make the playoffs, that's probably true.

1. Yes, win shares is a made up stat. There is logic behind the theory, but the actual calculation attempting to quantify it is made up nonsense.
2. The tweets don't show anything, as they are rooted in the circular made up nonsense. GIGO.
3. Your second paragraph contradicts itself. AD and Lebron are formally listed as injured, so they are treated as such for all purposes. But if they were on a team that actually needed them now, we all know they wouldn't be injured. The Lakers and Nets don't give a shit where they are seeded in the playoffs, so long as their guys are fully rested and healthy to turn it on when the playoffs start. It is a completely different analysis for a team fighting to get into the playoffs that needs to play their best players every night in the compressed schedule. The NBA's biggest problem over the past few years is that there is minimal parity. Going into each season there are between 2 and 4 teams that have a legit chance of winning the title. This season has done nothing but exacerbate that problem via the compressed schedule and buyout fiasco.

I have no interest in arguing about win shares or any other advanced stat with you, so I'll just skip point number one.

The tweets absolutely do show something, even if you are going to handwave away win shares. The second tweet shows the total number of games each team has missed per injury along with the number of wins for each team. You can pretty clearly see that the Hornets have missed the sixth fewest player games to injury of any team.

At the end of the day the Hornets aren't competing for playoff spots against the 76ers, Bucks, or Nets. They just aren't. So comparing how the compressed schedule affects those teams vs the Hornets doesn't make much sense. They are competing against the Heat, Hawks, Knicks, Pacers, and Celtics. All of which have to make the same decisions about injury management as the Hornets do, which admittedly is more difficult due to the compressed schedule. You're tying in a discussion about parity because it's another thing that you are frustrated with the NBA about, but it's not really related here.

games is a made up stat. there is a logic behind the theory of games, but the actual calculation of portioning the minutes of team play into specific games is made up nonsense.

I also seriously doubt that parity is something that the NBA views as its biggest problem to be honest with you. The dynasty Warriors got a whole lot of people to watch the NBA playoffs, even if it seemed like a sure outcome. As an NBA fan you may not like the lack of parity, but the NBA probably doesn't think the same way about it.

Back