• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2020 NBA Offseason - First Half Season Schedule Out

Why call this a "boycott" and not a "strike?"

The NBA players aren't refusing to buy something, they're refusing to work.

Sorry, it's just that I'm constantly fighting/organizing for graduate student labor to be considered "work" and graduate students to be considered "workers" and it's a similar kind of language that obscures what athletes do as well.

Brewers are discussing not playing their MLB game tonight against the Reds. This is going to move beyond basketball.

Official 2019-20 NBA Thread: Playoffs - Bucks boycott Game 5 in protest

Yeah, I was about to come and correct PhDeac and rub his nose in it for using the wrong word, but TKory beat me to it.

I’m using the word everyone is using to characterize this right now. I’m just reporting the news that’s out there. I angry it’s a strike especially since this is collective action by all the players.

I feel bad if you get your news from me.

Last edited:
My guess - the NBA packs up and goes home.

Strange defensive language. I don't understand your third sentence.

"Everyone else is doing it" isn't a good argument. Especially when I can present discourse that proves otherwise.

It's a strike.

Who gives a shit if you call it a boycott or a strike?

I do. Because these players deserve to be understood as workers who are withholding their labor and are not consumers refusing to buy products.

I'd argue people are insisting on calling it a "boycott" because they don't want to acknowledge that what an athlete does is a form of labor - especially one that can be withheld.

I'd argue people are insisting on calling it a "boycott" because they don't want to acknowledge that what an athlete does is a form of labor - especially one that can be withheld.

Same with people trying to pretend word choice suddenly isn't important or doesn't shape reality.

I’m using the word everyone is using to characterize this right now. I’m just reporting the news that’s out there. I angry it’s a strike especially since this is collective action by all the players.

I feel bad if you get your news from me.

STILL UndePheated !

tenor.gif

I remain perplexed by posters like Biff/Paul and centerdeac and others who are so obsessed with me.

Biff is Biff, but you better hope centerdeac doesn’t have your home address. I get a weird Glenn Close vibe from that guy.

Back