• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2020 NBA Offseason - First Half Season Schedule Out

Jordan and Lebron are the clear #1 of their respective eras. Who is #2?

Is there a clear #2? Do you put Duncan, Kobe, and Shaq in a separate in between era?

I would rank the players of that era something like:

Hakeem
Malone
Chuck
Robinson
Stockton
Pippen
Ewing

However, there's an odd dynamic there in that Hakeem snuck in and won two titles while Jordan was retired, but never met him in the Finals. So if you're looking for second-best player, I'd say Hakeem. If you're fudging a bit in search of a narrative and casting your #2 as an arch-nemesis/dramatic foil, I'd go with Malone.

From 1999-2007 could be characterized as a return to the dominance of the the big man. Eight of the nine championships featured Shaq (4 rings) or Duncan (4 rings). LeBron made his first NBA finals appearance in 2007.

My rating of the best players and I've seen them all in person: 1) Wllt -- the league and Red changed the rules to mitigate his dominance 2) MJ 3) Lebron 4) Russell -- much, much quicker than Duncan and 5) Magic, Bird, West, Robertson, Durant, Kobe, and Duncan.

Amazing Grace and Chuck. That is what I remember about Alex English.

Just coming to post it. Rusty got some face time too. Who would have thought they’d work together to destroy Wake basketball.

Love the use of the Prince joker soundtrack.

giphy.gif

Definitely recommend watching tonight’s ep on ESPN to get the full profanity experience.

Forgot that Craig Ehlo had made a presumptive game winner right before Jordan’s shot.

Been a long time since I’ve heard that NBA on CBS theme music.

LOL. Who was it who thought that shot was over Bird?

Wilt was a goddamn freak of nature. Simply a giant of a human being with absurd athleticism. There hasn't been anyone like him since, a once in a century type athlete. People as big as he was should not move with the fluidity and explosiveness he had.

This picture of him next to Ewing and Shaq is still laughable. He's 56 here and makes Shaq look like a teenager.

Ij7HJtd.jpg

Last edited:
Or Wilt with Andre the Giant and Ahhhhnold:

andre-the-giant-height-2.jpg

Or Wilt in his 40s, so much swag ...

WiltKAJ.jpg

Or young Wilt with 6'3" 215lb Muhammad Ali

740full-wilt-chamberlain.jpg

56 year old Wilt, just hanging out watching the Dream Team play in Barcelona (from this blog post, which is must read: https://completept.com/watching-the-olympics-with-wilt-chamberlain/)

WiltLH_PJ-768x570.jpg

Arnold, Wilt and Hefner (this .jpg is sponsored by valtrex)

544e2bdfbd00756ef4a9b85c148d4040.jpg

God bless the 1970s ... we'll sadly never have photos of Lebron like this

d3afa9cf0e340644682a92d08b39cef8.jpg

Last edited:
BTW - not making an argument that Wilt was the greatest player of all time ... he spent too much time doing other stuff (volleyball, women, movies, etc) and never had the single minded focus and drive of someone like Russell, Jordan or Lebron.

But I do genuinely believe he's the single most physically talented basketball player ever, and maybe the best athlete of the 20th century full stop. Just an unbelievable physical specimen.

Back