• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2021 College Football Thread: Grass Picker Named to CFP Selection Committee!

How are playoff college football teams going to manage the additional games? Right now there are at least two teams who are going to play 15 games. Increase the playoff to 8 and you likely have 8 teams playing 14 (12 + conf championship + 1st rnd) 4 teams playing 15, and 2 playing 16(!) it would seem that the regular season needs to be shortened somehow to accommodate extending the playoffs

fcs seems to do alright

How are playoff college football teams going to manage the additional games? Right now there are at least two teams who are going to play 15 games. Increase the playoff to 8 and you likely have 8 teams playing 14 (12 + conf championship + 1st rnd) 4 teams playing 15, and 2 playing 16(!) it would seem that the regular season needs to be shortened somehow to accommodate extending the playoffs

Remember when the argument against any type of playoff was it would make the season too long?

You cant shorten the regular season because it would be too costly to all the programs/universities. The best option of a bunch of bad options is the one we have now. It allows programs to keep the regular season at 12 games, then conference championships, and still get to have some kind of playoff and of course all the million bowl games.

Gibson's decommitment comes on the heels of their 4-star QB recruit's decommitment.

Both Evers and Gibson have visits to Norman this weekend. Both would be good gets, but Gibson is almost a must with all the WRs that OU has lost. The Lebby hire is making waves.

You cant shorten the regular season because it would be too costly to all the programs/universities. The best option of a bunch of bad options is the one we have now. It allows programs to keep the regular season at 12 games, then conference championships, and still get to have some kind of playoff and of course all the million bowl games.

You could definitely shorten it by one game. I don't think teams lose too much. They pay those scrub teams to come into town and get abused, but you do kind of need those games as a tuneup. It's the G5 type games that programs don't need, but with NIL and the transfer portal, I think the G5 conferences are going to fall hard. There will be a very clear divide between the quality of football played there and in P5 programs. The days of Cinci and UCF making noise will be over soon (and not because they're going to the Big 12).

OU was on the verge of turning into the next Nebraska. IMO they nailed the hiring of Venebles and then stealing Lebby from Ole Miss. They will recover quite nicely and it won’t take too long.

Evers decommitted 24 hours after meeting Billy Napier. His dad said "the chemistry was not there."

You could definitely shorten it by one game. I don't think teams lose too much. They pay those scrub teams to come into town and get abused, but you do kind of need those games as a tuneup. It's the G5 type games that programs don't need, but with NIL and the transfer portal, I think the G5 conferences are going to fall hard. There will be a very clear divide between the quality of football played there and in P5 programs. The days of Cinci and UCF making noise will be over soon (and not because they're going to the Big 12).

At a big school you’re conservatively dropping 1.5M in gate revenue by eliminating a buy game after taking out the .5M you’re paying the opponent. That’s not even touching the radio, tv, and on field promotion revenue.

For the visiting team, that buy game practically funds their whole program for the year.

The FCS buy games are not for tune ups, they are to make money. They pay the FCS team $1M to come get their ass whooped but sell 80k tickets for $50 each and that’s $3M profit not including parking, concessions, etc. FCS team wins because that really helps to fund their AD. FBS team wins cuz more money is better. Only losers are the fans forced to buy the tickets to a useless game as part of their season ticket package.

The FCS buy games are not for tune ups, they are to make money. They pay the FCS team $1M to come get their ass whooped but sell 80k tickets for $50 each and that’s $3M profit not including parking, concessions, etc. FCS team wins because that really helps to fund their AD. FBS team wins cuz more money is better. Only losers are the fans forced to buy the tickets to a useless game as part of their season ticket package.

But those same fans get to watch better players on their field because that game helped fund the nicer locker room.

Dropping a regular season game to add a playoff game or two makes no sense. Drop the conference championships instead since they’ll be less important in an expanded playoff.

At a big school you’re conservatively dropping 1.5M in gate revenue by eliminating a buy game after taking out the .5M you’re paying the opponent. That’s not even touching the radio, tv, and on field promotion revenue.

For the visiting team, that buy game practically funds their whole program for the year.

Good point, and one I didn't consider. I was thinking those easy games you could keep, but the OOC home and homes could go. Looking at the same issue there, though only every other year.

It was a sorry way to decide a national champion, but sometimes I miss the old days before any national championship game at all where you had the Rose, Cotton, Fiesta, Orange and Sugar Bowls all on New Year's Day and you might have the national championship riding on a couple of different games. The #2 might be in the Orange, the #1 might be in the Sugar and the #3 might be in the Rose and if the #1 loses, ties or even gets challenged in it's game the writer's and coach's might not vote for them depending on what happens with #2 or #3 team, etc. It was a completely stupid way to decide things, but it was interesting. It's also funny that back then the argument against any playoff was you just couldn't ask college players to play that many games. Soon, for the 2 teams that play in the title game, they will play the same number of games as the NFL regular season.

venebles reminds me of bo pelini

I'm really interested how he will conduct himself on the sidelines as a head coach. Will he decide to grow up and show self-control and not need someone to grab him around the waste to pull home of the field?

Or more likely start the season sooner. they have pre labor day games now. Camp in Summer session 2. games 1(maybe 2) in Aug.

Back