• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2021 NBA Thread - Preseason (and WNBA Finals talk)

I don't recall LiAngelo having tattoos. That was fast

bf6170650daca8449c962c37de7bfde0

Yeah but P Bev has some strong addition by subtraction vibes

This is where I'm at, too, and I'm not sure he's ever been surrounded by as much shooting as he's got with the Clippers. He might also be a good case of "mediocre starter, but potentially interesting rotation player."

Bigger thing for me, though, is that the roster is a lot less weird now. 3 out and 1 back this team a bit more flexibility to find a real backup center among other considerations.

Last edited:
I'm curious to see what the Griz do. They have a nice young roster. Rondo doesn't add much for them at least not in the regular season. Pat Bev could be a good veteran piece of the young bench rotation.

in that case, a smart business move for sure. bball wise close to a wash but bledsoe is a slightly worse fit.

seems like clippers are betting on reggie/mann being more valuable than beverly/rondo than they are relying on bledsoe to do a whole lot. anyway, bledsoe is also two years younger and the team now has cap flexibility to make a move if kawhi isn't able to return next year

only downsides for me are cultural

Clippers had too many guys last year. Here let's try rondo for 2 games, now let's try Mann. now Kennard. No consistent minutes

How are the Clippers going to get consistent minutes down the roster when Kawhi doesn't consistently play?

How are the Clippers going to get consistent minutes down the roster when Kawhi doesn't consistently play?

should move him to point guard, imo

Isn’t that Ty Lue’s thing, always tinkering?

he still a ton of fun guys to tinker with

roster remains very deep with a few players expected to take a step next year (Mann, Kennard, etc.) and those rooks looked fun in Summer League

TNT needs to follow MLB with Terrence Mann waiting for Kobe and Pistol Pete to come out of the cornfield and shoot hoops.

The Grizzlies are trading Patrick Beverley to the T-Wolves for Jarrett Culver and Juan Hernangomez.

I have no idea what the T-Wolves are doing as an organization.

Interesting how quickly the NBA churns through prospects. Culver was the #6 pick in the 2019 draft. Had he stayed in college, Culver would've just finished his senior year at TT. He's already been traded twice, and is an NBA journeyman. That said, although Culver has produced little on the court in two NBA seasons (negative win share and VORP ratings), Culver has made over $11 million and is guaranteed to make $6.3 million next season.

Last edited:
Culver and maybe Hayes are the only potential busts in what looks like a deep 2019 lottery.

The Grizzlies are trading Patrick Beverley to the T-Wolves for Jarrett Culver and Juan Hernangomez.

I have no idea what the T-Wolves are doing as an organization.

wolves fans seem to be generally okay with it other than people saying Culver had/s "star potential"

I'm sure they see it as getting something for nothing, but I'm not sure what Pat Bev does for their playoff chances. The T-Wolves are in a weird situation. They have one legitimate star (superstar?) and three good to really good players and some good young talent. They seem to be trying to win but can't stay healthy. I'm not sure what Pat Bev does for them. They could flip him like the Griz did though.

Schedule info trickling out for the NBA's 75th season.

Season starts in 9 weeks on Tuesday, October 19 with Nets-Bucks and Warriors-Lakers on TNT. Christmas Day includes Hawks-Knicks and Nets-Lakers. The Opening Week and Christmas Day schedules drop at 3:00 on ESPN.

Christmas Day Schedule
noon - Hawks at Knicks
2:30 - Celtics at Bucks
5:00 - Warriors at Suns
8:00 - Nets at Lakers
10:30 - Mavericks at Jazz

Those are good matchups. But no MVP Jokic and last year's #3 seed Nuggets. No Kawhi, PG, and the Clippers. They played each other last year on Christmas Day. No Zion or the Heat who played last year as well. No runner-up MVP Embiid and last year's #1 seed Sixers.

The opening week schedule is out as well.
https://www.nba.com/news/2021-22-opening-week-christmas-day-schedule-official-release

Last edited:
Yeah I think Bucks vs Heat/Sixers would have been better but on the whole it is a great Christmas slate

Good read about how the win now attitude has over leveraged several NBA teams.

Hollinger: In a suddenly win-now NBA, what happens later? https://theathletic.com/2774991/2021/08/17/hollinger-in-a-suddenly-win-now-nba-what-happens-later/

———-

Imagine, if you will, the 2024-25 NBA season:

A 37-year-old Steph Curry is suited up for Golden State, making $52.6M, and still having a year left on his deal.
A 33-year-old Paul George is a Clipper, making $49 million. Lining up next to him, a 32-year-old Kawhi Leonard also making $49 million; by then there’s a good chance he will have inked a five-year extension that pays him 8 percent raises until age 35.
In Portland (OK, maybe not in Portland, but humor me), a 34-year-old Damian Lillard is raking in $49 million.
In Milwaukee, a 34-year-old Jrue Holiday is making $38 million with incentives that could take him to $40 million.
In Miami, a 35-year-old, balky-kneed Jimmy Butler will be making $48 million … and still having a year left on his deal.
The Lakers could very well be paying a 40-year-old LeBron James north of $50 million that season. L.A. can also look forward to a 2022-23 campaign where a 38-year-old James makes $45 million and a 34-year-old Russell Westbrook makes $47 million.
And in Brooklyn, a 36-year-old Kevin Durant is pulling down $51 million; if and when James Harden and Kyrie Irving extend their deals, they’ll take in about $100 million more between them. Those three will be a combined 104 years old and their contracts alone may be enough to put Brooklyn in the luxury tax.
————-

—————

It’s not just the contracts either; most of the teams above have also surrendered most or all of their draft capital:

Brooklyn owes a first or a pick swap to Houston in the next six drafts.
The Clippers owe three firsts and two pick swaps to the Thunder.
The Lakers are out two firsts and a pick swap to New Orleans; devilishly, the Pels can defer an unprotected 2024 pick to 2025.
Miami owes a pick swap (likely with Brooklyn’s pick) in 2022, has no pick in 2023 and has traded virtually all its seconds too.
Golden State owes a very lightly protected first to Memphis in 2024, right at the time the Warriors may crater from their age and cap situation.
Milwaukee owes three firsts and two pick swaps as a result of two trades, plus they Bogdanned themselves out of a 2022 second.
Utah, who will have a 32-year-old Rudy Gobert making $43 million in that 2024-25 season, owes a 2022 first to Memphis and has burned through nearly all its seconds.
At least those teams are contenders who either already have rings or can reasonably claim to be positioned for it. But the same thing is happening further down the food chain. Teams like Chicago and Minnesota both surrendered 2021 lottery picks in a chase for maybe getting into the Play-In Tournament; New Orleans has lots of draft equity from trading Holiday and Anthony Davis, but seems intent on squandering a good chunk of it for their own pyrrhic chase for the eighth seed. New York and Sacramento have avoided this fate so far but are seemingly champing at the bit to join them.

good article, i really think the NOP had a disastrous off-season. will be interesting to see how the zion rookie extension goes, no one has ever turned that down

it's good that a bunch of teams are in win now mode creating potential exciting playoffs/matchups, and it's also good theyre likely to face long term consequences for superteam building opening doors for smaller markets down the line. small homer complaint i wish hollinger had thrown in charlotte in the set up well line

Back