• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2022-23 NBA Offseason - Aces win WNBA Finals; Preseason; NBA Fantasy League last call

That's a basic take because the Spurs young core aside from Wemby has only two lottery picks (#9 and #12) who never had a lot of hype around them whereas the other teams have several well-hyped top 8 guys.

This narrative is why it would be good for the Spurs to win Summer League. I'll never say it's important for a team to win Summer League, but this would help boost the perception of the entire roster. The Spurs won SL in 2015 and that was part of the narrative all season. Kyle Anderson won MVP coming off his rookie year. Becky Hammon coached that team and this put her on the radar as a future head coach and Pop's heir apparent (although that won't be happening for awhile). Jonathon Simmons made the main roster with his SL performance. Most games that year mentioned the SL win even though Anderson and Simmons were the only players on that team that even made an NBA roster.

This team has 3 players under contract and 4 likely to make the roster. I can imagine Mark Jones saying, "The Spurs won Summer League and before you say 'Well, they had Wembanyama,' his big second game was the only game they lost and Champagnie was the MVP."

That's a basic take because the Spurs young core aside from Wemby has only two lottery picks (#9 and #12) who never had a lot of hype around them whereas the other teams have several well-hyped top 8 guys.

This narrative is why it would be good for the Spurs to win Summer League. I'll never say it's important for a team to win Summer League, but this would help boost the perception of the entire roster. The Spurs won SL in 2015 and that was part of the narrative all season. Kyle Anderson won MVP coming off his rookie year. Becky Hammon coached that team and this put her on the radar as a future head coach and Pop's heir apparent (although that won't be happening for awhile). Jonathon Simmons made the main roster with his SL performance. Most games that year mentioned the SL win even though Anderson and Simmons were the only players on that team that even made an NBA roster.

This team has 3 players under contract and 4 likely to make the roster. I can imagine Mark Jones saying, "The Spurs won Summer League and before you say 'Well, they had Wembanyama,' his big second game was the only game they lost and Champagnie was the MVP."

# of lottery picks is irrelevant

on pure talent - the spurs don't have much outside of wemby. some nice pieces, but all bad teams have at least 1-2 promising young players.

I think Barlow could be pretty good, especially playing next to Wemby. Though he and Sochan may be somewhat duplicative on the main team. The rest of those guys are typical back end of the roster, summer league chuckers.

i mean it's ok! wemby is a franchise changer, so it doesn't really matter.

# of lottery picks is irrelevant

on pure talent - the spurs don't have much outside of wemby. some nice pieces, but all bad teams have at least 1-2 promising young players.

High lottery pick typical coincides with pure talent. I’m going to guess most of the guys you think are pure talent were picked top 8. I see Wemby and Sochan as the future stars. Jury is out on if Vassell and Johnson are starters on a contender or rotation guys on decent contracts.

2&2, that’s a fair take. Those four should be back rotation guys. The Spurs should have a young starting lineup of Jones/Vassell/Johnson/Sochan/Wemby and an experienced bench of whoever doesn’t get traded among Graham/Bullock/McDermott/Osman/Collins. And young guys fill out the rest.

High lottery pick typical coincides with pure talent. I’m going to guess most of the guys you think are pure talent were picked top 8. I see Wemby and Sochan as the future stars. Jury is out on if Vassell and Johnson are starters on a contender or rotation guys on decent contracts.

2&2, that’s a fair take. Those four should be back rotation guys. The Spurs should have a young starting lineup of Jones/Vassell/Johnson/Sochan/Wemby and an experienced bench of whoever doesn’t get traded among Graham/Bullock/McDermott/Osman/Collins. And young guys fill out the rest.

i'm saying that not having high lottery picks is an excuse not to have talent

i'd trade the hornets roster for the spurs immediately - but that's 98% bc of wemby

I don't see it with Sochan. I think he projects as a 3rd-4th guy on a good team. Wemby, presumably, projects as a top 5 player (at least). I don't see anybody on the Spurs roster otherwise who projects as a top 20-30 guy in the league. That's what you need to have a championship contender.

i will say that I think the hornets got a legit steal in nick richards

was top 1-3 in his hs class (depending on the ranker) and was limited his freshman year due to injury

shit - he might even be better than brandon miller!

Was the two misses?

Yeah. She hit 25 of 27 shots with time to spare.

The previous best were Steph and Haliburton with 31.

Suns making more moves. They signed Bol, traded Cam Payne, and picked up some seconds for a pick swap.

The Suns have a bunch of young undervalued guys who give them a good shot at winning a lot of games.

I guess I have to like Cam Payne now. He’s fine as a possible 3rd PG. The Spurs got another vet for nothing or next to nothing.

Yeah. She hit 25 of 27 shots with time to spare.

The previous best were Steph and Haliburton with 31.
Unbelieveably impressive but I'm not sure it really makes sense to combine the men's and women's records, the women use a smaller ball but the same size rim.

Unbelieveably impressive but I'm not sure it really makes sense to combine the men's and women's records, the women use a smaller ball but the same size rim.

Women are also shorter in general therefore further from the basket. Smaller hands as well. It balances out.

Either way the ball isn’t THAT much smaller. A men’s ball is 53% of the rim diameter. A women’s ball is 51% of the rim diameter.

Back