• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2022-23 NBA Offseason - Aces win WNBA Finals; Preseason; NBA Fantasy League last call

I enjoyed how last night's recurring headline was "Hornets have narrowed pick down to two choices," as though this hasn't been true since the draft lottery.

I don't think that's the case at all. I'm ecstatic about the trade and I think most Celtics fans are generally positive about it.

They needed to do something with the bigs rotation and couldn't just keep relying on soon-to-be 38 year-old Al Horford and oft-injured Rob Williams as the main duo. I won't pretend to have watched many Wiz games this past season, but the numbers suggest KP has gotten way better at the rim defensively than his early career reputation would lead you to believe. So KP to me seems like a good option to spell either Al (playing on the perimeter on offense) or Rob (rim protection, albeit KP's certainly not as explosive as Rob but still).

Granted it's only a 1-year opt-in for KP and then we'll see, as well as the obvious injury concerns, but I don't know, getting KP and 2 1sts for Marcus Smart and a 2nd is just wild to me. I think Marcus being the 'heart and soul' of a team that seemed to lack mental toughness in the playoffs at times wore old, and I think he in ways stunted Tatum and Jaylen from growing into leadership roles on the team. Not to mention stunting Derrick White's minutes in crunch time, who clearly became the 3rd best player on the team. Never mind that Marcus just was not as good this past season. It was just time, IMO.

I guess right now this turns Pritchard into the 3rd guard, which I'm not entirely sold on. Will be interesting to see the decision between either doing something there or re-signing Grant.

A lot of parallels with this move and Tony Allen. Both played at Oklahoma State. Both had 'elite defender'-ish(?) reputations that went from the Celtics to the Grizzlies at age 29.

I think Marcus will do well on the Grizz, but for Tyus Jones and 2 1sts? Man, feels like a lot.

Last edited:
I enjoyed how last night's recurring headline was "Hornets have narrowed pick down to two choices," as though this hasn't been true since the draft lottery.
The best part was it said Kupchak didn't say which two players as if we don't know.

There are rumors that if Portland keeps the pick, they may take one of the Thompson twins at #3.

Probably because Brandon Miller shit on MJ in that interview. Everybody knows he takes that personally.
This is actually an interesting experiment. Will or won't MJ ignore that. Of course he may prefer Scoot regardless but that wasn't the narrative up till now.

The question is, is Brandon Miller a) foolish for opening his mouth in any way that could be misinterpreted as a slight, b) calculated because he wants to play with Dame, or c) impressively bold in a way that bodes well for playing against fierce competition? Based on everything else in his life, I'm going strong 'a).' In which case his agent hadn't well prepared him or just didn't anticipate a question like that.

"If they ask you who the GOAT is, just say it's a tough call between LeBron and MJ. Whatever you do, just don't disrespect the all-time great who has the power to pick you #2. Especially by saying he's not as good as Paul George."

Right. Nothing wrong with PG being his favorite player. He could just add on, "But my favorite player is Paul George. I model my game after him and I think that's what I can bring to the NBA."

It's important to learn that just because you had a good time meeting and joking around with an exec, that was an interview and it's still business.

I don't understand how the Celtics got away with this.
I wouldn't be too quick to say the Celtics have won this or that they've fleeced anyone just yet.

Porzingis is clearly a better player than Smart but he's missed 40% of his games since he entered the NBA 8 years ago, it's a totally realistic scenario that come playoff time next year Porzingis literally just can't play. Not only that but whenever I've watched the Celtics play Marcus Smart has been the clear vocal leader out there on the court. Usually the guy that's leading the team on the court is the best player so it'll be interesting to see if Tatum can step up and become that kind of guy for them but up to this point in his career I've not really seen any indications from him that he is that sort of player. Whether that's down to the fact that Smart was already there doing it for him so he hasn't bothered or whether it's because he's just not that kind of guy I couldn't say, but now's the time when we get to find out, and if he's not up to the task then things could potentially get ugly for the Celtics.

I mean I personally think they've got the deepest roster in the NBA and they're gonna be fine either way but a team with an inexperienced head coach who've just given up the guy that's leading them on the court could potentially be a recipe for any young stars to take their foot off the gas pedal and start cruising. In terms of on paper roster construction yeah, porzingis is an upgrade, but in terms of team dynamics and how this affects their unit I think we need to give it some time to see how it plays out.

I don't think that's the case at all. I'm ecstatic about the trade and I think most Celtics fans are generally positive about it.

They needed to do something with the bigs rotation and couldn't just keep relying on soon-to-be 38 year-old Al Horford and oft-injured Rob Williams as the main duo. I won't pretend to have watched many Wiz games this past season, but the numbers suggest KP has gotten way better at the rim defensively than his early career reputation would lead you to believe. So KP to me seems like a good option to spell either Al (playing on the perimeter on offense) or Rob (rim protection, albeit KP's certainly not as explosive as Rob but still).

Granted it's only a 1-year opt-in for KP and then we'll see, as well as the obvious injury concerns for KP, but I don't know, getting KP and 2 1sts for Marcus Smart and a 2nd is just wild to me. I think Marcus being the 'heart and soul' of a team that seemed to lack mental toughness in the playoffs at times wore old, and I think he in ways stunted Tatum and Jaylen from growing into leadership roles on the team. Not to mention stunting Derrick White's minutes in crunch time, who clearly became the 3rd best player on the team. Never mind that Marcus just was not as good this past season. It was just time, IMO.

I guess right now this turns Pritchard into the 3rd guard, which I'm not entirely sold on. Will be interesting to see the decision between either doing something there or re-signing Grant.

A lot of parallels to this move and Tony Allen. Both played at Oklahoma State. Both had 'elite defender'-ish(?) reputations that went from the Celtics to the Grizzlies at age 29.

I think Marcus will do well on the Grizz, but for Tyus Jones and 2 1sts? Man, feels like a lot.
Good post.

A lot hinges on KP staying healthy but he’s also one of the best pick and roll defenders in the game

Right. Nothing wrong with PG being his favorite player. He could just add on, "But my favorite player is Paul George. I model my game after him and I think that's what I can bring to the NBA."

It's important to learn that just because you had a good time meeting and joking around with an exec, that was an interview and it's still business.
It's almost like his brain just processed the question as 'who's your all-timer' - meaning all-time favorite, as you say. I can't fathom he actually believes PG13 is anyone's literal GOAT. He's just the guy he most models his game around. A follow-up question might have helped him make that pretty obvious distinction.

Would have thought that being an accessory to murder would have solved that, but here we are…
No, being partially responsible for a homicide isn't as big a sin as taking a shot at Jordan. It was also really stupid because PG13 isn't even a top 5 player in today's game, probably not even top 10.

And Pilch, I think Portland's #3 pick gets less valuable if Scoot is off the board. So I guess they try to sell Dame on Miller, then probably trading Dame and start the rebuild when he doesn't buy what they're selling. Their rebuild doesn't look quite as daunting as Washington's because they should get a number of assets for Dame.

another piece of the Smart trade is that it opens up more minutes for Brogdon and White, who both played fewer than 15 mpg in the regular season last year, so it's not like they're replacing Smart with a new player or replacement level guy in exchange for front court depth -- they're just giving more minutes to good players

Right. Smart was important but expendable. Plus they could draft a PG with the #25 pick.

I really don't want to have to root for Brandon Miller. Please take Scoot.

another piece of the Smart trade is that it opens up more minutes for Brogdon and White, who both played fewer than 15 mpg in the regular season last year, so it's not like they're replacing Smart with a new player or replacement level guy in exchange for front court depth -- they're just giving more minutes to good players
Isn’t Brogdon’s arm colossally fucked, like to the extent he can’t even be traded bc he can’t pass medicals?

Back