• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2022 College Football Thread: Georgia is Back to Back Champions !!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think we can just assume Colorado is going to get a top CB in every class. And that's perfectly fair. Flipping a Lakeland kid from Miami to Colorado and posting a picture of him playing in the snow (I assume that isn't photoshop) is a baller move.

May be an image of map and text

The P5 schools in that oval who haven't won a national championship in that span are Mississippi State, Georgia Tech, and South Carolina. I think it barely misses Ole Miss.

Seems like a problem with the sport if one region has won 16 out of the last 17 championships. Here are the championships from that oval from 1982-2005.

1999 FSU
1996 UF
1993 FSU
1992 Alabama
1990 GT

The P5 schools in that oval who haven't won a national championship in that span are Mississippi State, Georgia Tech, and South Carolina. I think it barely misses Ole Miss.

Seems like a problem with the sport if one region has won 16 out of the last 17 championships. Here are the championships from that oval from 1982-2005.

1999 FSU
1996 UF
1993 FSU
1992 Alabama
1990 GT
But even in your time frame (which has an arbitrary cutoff of 1982 as I’m sure you know) you wouldn’t have to expand it much to also then include schools like Miami and Tennessee. Then if you just start in 1979 instead, you’re adding 2 more from Bama and another each from Clemson and UGA.

Last edited:
1982 wasn't arbitrary. Bama, Georgia, and Clemson won four straight from 1979-82 so that seemed like a reasonable cutoff point.

1982 wasn't arbitrary. Bama, Georgia, and Clemson won four straight from 1979-82 so that seemed like a reasonable cutoff point.
That’s selectively choosing a date to support your point though when adding just 4 more years would detract from it.

I do, however, agree that there is a problem in college football. Yet, somehow, the Big 10 is worth a shitload of money even though they aren’t relevant.

Rubes in Iowa, Indiana and Nebraska ain’t got fuck else to do but watch mediocre football.

That’s selectively choosing a date to support your point though when adding just 4 more years would detract from it.

I do, however, agree that there is a problem in college football. Yet, somehow, the Big 10 is worth a shitload of money even though they aren’t relevant.

It's not really arbitrary. That's what historians do when they define eras, right? They look at what happened in those years and organize them accordingly.

We are in the era of the South.
From 1982 to 2005, plenty of different teams won.
1978-81 was a brief rise of the South.
Post-integration Bama was the only southern team to win.

The Big Ten is certainly not relevant aside from a token spot for Ohio State or Michigan and large fanbases. It's clearly a structural issue that a handful of programs have been so dominant through the back end of the BCS era and the CFP.

Last edited:
Not really. That's what historians do when they define eras, right? They look at what happened in those years and organize them accordingly.

We are in the era of the South.
From 1982 to 2005, plenty of different teams won.
1978-81 was a brief rise of the South.
Post-integration Bama was the only southern team to win.
Sure. I suppose that makes sense. I wonder if this era will come to a close. Certainly doesn’t look like it will anytime soon unless the Big 10 does something with all of their undeserved money.

The SEC is going to have more money than the Big Ten anyway. All that money may help Purdue consistently be better than NC State, but it's not going to lift up Purdue, Mizzou, or any mid-level program in either conference above the usual suspects. Hell at this point, it's hard to see any team besides Georgia or Alabama winning a championship except maybe Clemson if Dabo can right the ship and catch Georgia or Alabama on a bad day.

Kids in the north suck at football because they don’t have spring practice. They let busy playing hockey and lacrosse and other shit.

90%+/- of Georgia’s roster is from Georgia or a state contiguous with Georgia, with none from Tennessee because they don’t have much talent there either. There are a couple of guys from New Orleans, a couple from CA, and on each from Baltimore, Philly, and NJ (RIP). Georgia is loaded up on 4-star and 5-star guys from close to home.

Last edited:
So all Georgia had to do this whole time was...recruit heavily from Georgia?

Seems like a problem with the sport if one region has won 16 out of the last 17 championships.
Four schools (UGA, Bama, Clemson, OSU) account for 15/18 CFP championship game appearances and 3/4 of those schools are in that region.

I don’t care about a particular geographic region having a stranglehold on championships as much as I care that it’s really only the same 4-5 schools every year with any chance. Sports eventually get less interesting when it’s the same teams every year.

Back