• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2023-24 NBA Season Thread - T-Wolves and Thunder sweep

The paul george trade might be one of the worst trades ever

SGA plus 5 five first round picks

That Sixers-Bulls game was like a Hornets reunion. That bum Batum leading the win, Oubre sealing the game, POS Lowry who should never have been bought out and instead forced to rot on our bench, Caleb Martin, Rozier hiding somewhere.

nah they are going to break through this year and definitely not getting sent home in round 1

They’re ahead of schedule regardless. And they have plenty of draft assets to use to bolster their roster. They have 9-15 first round picks in the next 7 drafts and 22 second rounders over the next seven drafts. I don’t think they’ll make many splash trades but they’ll just continue to draft well for size and depth.

Jimmy Butler out for the play-in and out for “several weeks.”

Last edited:
Sad about Playoff Yimmy. And Embiid isn't moving well. And following up on talking about disbanding GSW, I think disbanding Atlanta is more likely.

Clips also got Leonard as a result.

Injuries have hurt the intended result, but not close to worse trade ever status - either at the time or in hindsight.

Gobert has salvaged things from being at the top of the worst trade ever conversation not too long ago, with a lot of help from Ant

Gobert has salvaged things from being at the top of the worst trade ever conversation not too long ago, with a lot of help from Ant

I guess. But you could also argue that they’d have been better off with Walker Kessler and all those four first round picks given Naz Reid’s emergence.

I guess. But you could also argue that they’d have been better off with Walker Kessler and all those four first round picks given Naz Reid’s emergence.
I think Naz Reid is Towns' insurance. And Kessler didn't even start most of the year for Utah. I don't think either one of those guys could be the rim protector on a top 5 defense and a DPOYC the way Gobert is.

I think the trade ended up being pretty solid. Its a bit like the trade the Bucks made for Holliday- they gave up a shit-ton, but the ultimately won the title because of the trade. The Gobert trade puts the TWolves in the conversation for a title. If they win in the next 2-3 years, it clearly was the right choice. But for Minnesota, even if they are just a top 3 Western Conference team for the next 3 years, that probably makes the trade worth it.

you can still argue the jazz won the trade or the wolves should not have made the trade, but no way is it still in the conversation for worst of all time

and i'm a gobert hater because i think he's annoying but the wolves are not the team they are now without him in the middle

I think Naz Reid is Towns' insurance. And Kessler didn't even start most of the year for Utah. I don't think either one of those guys could be the rim protector on a top 5 defense and a DPOYC the way Gobert is.

I think the trade ended up being pretty solid. Its a bit like the trade the Bucks made for Holliday- they gave up a shit-ton, but the ultimately won the title because of the trade. The Gobert trade puts the TWolves in the conversation for a title. If they win in the next 2-3 years, it clearly was the right choice. But for Minnesota, even if they are just a top 3 Western Conference team for the next 3 years, that probably makes the trade worth it.
Think its premature to say the Gobert trade ended up being solid for Minnesota. He's 31, and Wolves still haven't won a playoff series in 20 years. They play the Suns this year, and the Suns are favored. If Wolves lose in the first round again, the Gobert trade is not going to look so solid. Then again, if the Wolves beat the Suns and then win the next series (which likely would be against the Nugs) to advance to the WC Finals, the argument in support of the trade looks a lot stronger.

FWIW, it really is sad to look at the Wolves playoff history. That franchise has made the playoffs 11 times. Ten of those eleven, the Wolves managed to lose their first round series. That really is quite incredible. The one exception is 2004, when Garnett led the Wolves to the WC finals only to lose to the Lakers in 6 games. 2-11 all time in playoff series has got to be close to the worst record of any team in the four major sports. Group that tragic playoff history with the Vikings, Twins, and even the Minnesota Wild (they have lost their last seven first round series), and that area has suffered playoff heartbreak after playoff heartbreak.

Think its premature to say the Gobert trade ended up being solid for Minnesota. He's 31, and Wolves still haven't won a playoff series in 20 years. They play the Suns this year, and the Suns are favored. If Wolves lose in the first round again, the Gobert trade is not going to look so solid. Then again, if the Wolves beat the Suns and then win the next series (which likely would be against the Nugs) to advance to the WC Finals, the argument in support of the trade looks a lot stronger.

FWIW, it really is sad to look at the Wolves playoff history. That franchise has made the playoffs 11 times. Ten of those eleven, the Wolves managed to lose their first round series. That really is quite incredible. The one exception is 2004, when Garnett led the Wolves to the WC finals only to lose to the Lakers in 6 games. 2-11 all time in playoff series has got to be close to the worst record of any team in the four major sports. Group that tragic playoff history with the Vikings, Twins, and even the Minnesota Wild (they have lost their last seven first round series), and that area has suffered playoff heartbreak after playoff heartbreak.
I think the Wolves have been so bad that a trade that puts them in the top 3 in the west for several years is worth it. Of course, if they are top 3 but lose in the 1st round all 3 years, that changes the calculus. But I would be fairly shocked if that happens. I'm a big believer in Edwards.

I'm on the Wolves in 6 for the PHX series. I don't think the 3 stars make it through the entire series unscathed, and I envision an endless stream of screens to isolate Edwards on Allen. Allen's been basically played off the floor in prior playoff series in Milwaukee, and I think it might happen again here.

Agree that PHX has been over-valued by the books all season. That said, Bradley Beal has suddenly found his game. He's always one possession away from a limiting injury. That series is fascinating.

allen is (unfortunately) shooting 46% from 3 this season and his dribble game looks decent now

i don't think he'll get played off the floor by this t-wolves team

All these dudes are so much bigger and taller than Bam Adebayo. I don't buy that he is 255. And he's nowhere close to 6'10.

Dude is incredibly talented to bang against LARGE centers, all the time, and put up elite numbers.

Ant is 22. I know I post this every few months but holy shit.

Blasphemy incoming. He’s the closest thing to a young Jordan since Jordan.

How quickly we forget "Baby Jordan"...

artworks-000245138631-56mwxd-t500x500.jpg

Back