• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2023 College Football Thread: Michigan Recognized as National Champions of Cheating !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Baseball. Maybe a few soccer players and stud Olympic sport athletes.
There are a lot of interesting NIL deals out there. WWE signs 7-8 to NIL deals every year.
Every supplement company has kids out there selling their products online.

So I’m not sure if the 17% are collective type deals or cover the guerilla marketing ones as well

Baseball. Maybe a few soccer players and stud Olympic sport athletes.
Hockey is probably the 3rd sport with a high concentration of NIL athletes because there aren't many programs. I doubt there are many baseball deals except at a few top programs and for a few players at other schools. Same as with women's hoops and and the next tier of sports like soccer.

Hockey is probably the 3rd sport with a high concentration of NIL athletes because there aren't many programs. I doubt there are many baseball deals except at a few top programs and for a few players at other schools. Same as with women's hoops.
There are a lot of baseball deals

What's a great NIL deal in baseball then?

17% is a lot. That's proably almost all football and men's basketball players and a few star or standout players in other sports.
The On3.com Top 100 NIL contains a few women's basketball players and most other top earners are football players and some men's basketball players. I don't see any baseball players on the list. The amounts shown are potential, not actual, earnings. Livvy Dunne, who is a good but not world class gymnast, is #3 on the list. She is a world-class Tik-Tokker. :)

Livvy Dunne.jpeg

Last edited:
Pretty sure I saw her in a TV ad recently.

The On3.com Top 100 NIL contains a few women's basketball players and most other top earners are football players and some men's basketball players. I don't see any baseball players on the list. The amounts shown are potential, not actual, earnings. Livvy Dunne, who is a good but not world class gymnast, is #3 on the list. She is a world-class Tik-Tokker. :)

View attachment 7050
Yeah, but Livvy rizzed Baby Gronk, so she should definitely be top 5.

I kind of hate myself for typing that.

If you thought the past several years have brought chaos to the world of big-time college sports, well, you ain't seen nothin' yet! :D

Columnist Jason Gay of the Wall Street Journal reviews the importance of NCAA president Charlie Baker's proposal of December 5. It's not that the proposal is likely to be adopted as is, anytime soon. It's more that now even the NCAA is finally embracing the big changes (especially NIL) of the last several years. So get ready for more big changes.

...Dec. 5, 2023. Write it down. It’s the day the NCAA stopped denying the obvious, and started calling a duck a duck. Quack!

On Tuesday the new(ish) NCAA boss Charlie Baker sent a letter to Division I member schools proposing a series of reforms to “enhance the financial opportunities available to all Division I athletes.” Under the proposed overhaul, Division I schools would be allowed to enter name, image, likeness (NIL) agreements with their own athletes, and they would have no limit on “any level of enhanced educational benefits they deem appropriate.”
More radically, Baker proposed a breakaway subdivision for schools with the resources to pay—all but paving the way for a conscious uncoupling between the college sports haves and have nots. He outlined an environment in which athletes in this subdivision would be required to be directly compensated at least $30,000 per year, through a trust.
Is the NCAA having a sudden epiphany?

Nah. They’re reading the room. College sports are under historic legal scrutiny. The Supreme Court laughed the NCAA’s amateurism claims out of the room in 2021. Pending decisions about granting athletes employee status (Johnson v. NCAA) and back pay for name, image likeness (House v. NCAA)...—not to mention Dartmouth basketball’s ongoing effort to unionize—are likely to reshape the college sports landscape long before any widespread action can be taken on Baker’s initiative.

This isn’t the NCAA getting out in front. This is jumping on a train that’s already going 110 MPH down the track.

The NCAA wants protection, of course, in the form of antitrust exemption—this is where the Supreme Court, in particular Justice Brett Kavanaugh, argued that they are extremely vulnerable—but they’re not exactly getting a fast assist from legislators. The current Congress can’t agree on the day of the week. The idea that it will swiftly step in with some kind of comprehensive college sports reform and antitrust Kryptonite is a comical hope.

...The NCAA blew it on NIL, Baker said it himself—“it was a big mistake by the NCAA not to do a framework around NIL when they had the opportunity to,” he said earlier this year. This latest proposal is an effort to get ahead and control the game on athlete compensation, rather than tempt another free-for-all.

And even if there’s buy in, it’s going to be crisis-level hard, trying to figure out how it’s all supposed to work—what to do about the vast majority of school sports that don’t generate revenue, rely on the revenue sports for sustenance, and be inclusive of women’s sports, which are obligated via Title IX to be treated equitably.

Baker’s recommendation for the $30,000 minimum stipends contains an edict that the amount is offered to “at least half” of all athletes playing sports for the school—and also comply with Title IX requirements. Can you imagine how fraught that process will be? Ditto NIL, which the NCAA seems to prefer to have schools manage. Good luck. Have you met a booster?

...The most fascinating scenario in Baker’s letter is the new subdivision—a split between schools with the resources to go bonkers on college sports, and schools that want to bow out and have a cup of decaf. It sounds simple, in a way: A series of colleges that go back to being colleges, and then a professional college league of top-tier teams with their own rules. Television would do jumping jacks for such a rarefied (read: no scrubs) product. Maybe the NFL and the NBA, decades into the biggest free ride in the history of sports, could be talked into coming on board.

Of course it won’t be simple. Imagine being the college president telling alumni they are withdrawing from the college sports arms race and don’t want to play in the fancy professional league. Some alumni will be relieved, embracing a calming reset where sports are deprioritized. Other alumni will lose their minds. It’s going to be hard.

But as the NCAA’s failed battle against NIL showed, this is going to be hard isn’t a winning legal strategy, and the courts are almost surely going to get to it first.

It was bound to come to this. College sports set it into motion long ago. And now here we are.

Rumor had it that Tommy White received substantial NIL offers (as in six figures) from FSU and LSU when he transferred from NC State. The upcoming Diamond Deac baseball dinner is going to raise substantial NIL funds for the WF baseball program. Winning big has led to some solid NIL paydays for WF baseball players.

Back