• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2023 College Football Thread: Michigan Recognized as National Champions of Cheating !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy shit, nobody's even close to us. And nobody will ever beat our record.

How can you call someone a UNC "star" when he has never seen the field in baby blue?
Mack Brown for months has claimed the reason for his wanting to transfer to UNC was to be near his sick grandma in Charlotte, then in his statement yesterday Brown cites his being denied "his lifelong dream to play for UNC in front of family and friends". Which goes along with my wondering all along, if the transfer was to be close to an ill family member in Charlotte, why didn't he transfer to UNCC, which might have helped his case with the NCAA. Feel bad for the kid, but not for Mack and UNC.

Mack Brown for months has claimed the reason for his wanting to transfer to UNC was to be near his sick grandma in Charlotte, then in his statement yesterday Brown cites his being denied "his lifelong dream to play for UNC in front of family and friends". Which goes along with my wondering all along, if the transfer was to be close to an ill family member in Charlotte, why didn't he transfer to UNCC, which might have helped his case with the NCAA. Feel bad for the kid, but not for Mack and UNC.
It's just a farce ... he doesn't give a :poop: about the kid other than what the kid can do for his team, which then benefits his wallet.

i’m surprised at the support for the unc guys transfer waiver previously it seemed there was more indignation over the whole “free agency era”.

i would suggest the ncaa should just say the one-time transfer rule for non-grads is meant to be used for all the reasons ask for a waiver, and eliminate giving waivers entirely.

This could be a bad portent for Wake and Reid's requst. If Chapel Hill to Charlotte was not close enough for the "close to I'll relative" waiver request reason, that wouldn't look good for Richmond to Winston-Salem.

i’m surprised at the support for the unc guys transfer waiver previously it seemed there was more indignation over the whole “free agency era”.

i would suggest the ncaa should just say the one-time transfer rule for non-grads is meant to be used for all the reasons ask for a waiver, and eliminate giving waivers entirely.
Social contagion situation. Narrative of him as a victim was set on social media and people eat that shit up. Also everybody already hates the NCAA so they'll take any opportunity to can to make it the villan regardless of whether or not a decision they make is legitimately justified or not. The coaches are the ones who raised so much hell over stuff like this, ultimately the NCAA is just finally starting to take action in response to that.

U*NC throwing a hissy fit when the rules are also applied to them... nothing new. I promise you the governor of NC won't send a letter to the NCAA about Efton Reid

I mean Mack coulda recuited him in the first place? Or even second place?

This could be a bad portent for Wake and Reid's requst. If Chapel Hill to Charlotte was not close enough for the "close to I'll relative" waiver request reason, that wouldn't look good for Richmond to Winston-Salem.
I assumed this is why we all care about Tez Walker.

I assumed this is why we all care about Tez Walker.
I think it's a combo of this, and, probably (at least for me) already massively rolling our eyes at all the sob stories sure to come during UNC games and on Gameday.

and if Carolina ends up with a disappointing season they have a convenient source of blame wrapped up in a bow.

56-0 Lville over Murray St. Dean Hood might be aging like Grobe. 2-9 last year. I’m sure Lambert would have a spot for him at WF.

I'm not up to speed on the standard for the waiver, but going from Gonzaga to Winston-Salem greatly shortens the distance Reid is away from home versus going from Kent State to Chapel Hill. It's seven hours from Kent, Ohio to Charlotte compared to two hours from Chapel Hill to Charlotte. Spokane is clear across the whole country and Richmond is now a three hour drive. 🤷‍♂️

I'm not up to speed on the standard for the waiver, but going from Gonzaga to Winston-Salem greatly shortens the distance Reid is away from home versus going from Kent State to Chapel Hill. It's seven hours from Kent, Ohio to Charlotte compared to two hours from Chapel Hill to Charlotte. Spokane is clear across the whole country and Richmond is now a three hour drive.

That’s a reasonably optimistic take on Reid’s waiver. I hope the NCAA thinks the same way. Thanks for posting it. I’d already accepted the worst.

It's also possible UNC and the folks there working on this just half assed their application and assumed they'd get it. Forbes alluded to this in his press conference the other day -- he wasn't paying attention to other cases because he was concentrating on his own, but said maybe they didn't do enough to make the case, or something like that. (he was not commenting on the Tez Walker case specifically, just generally other waiver cases)

I'm also not totally sold on our main argument being the distance to his family/mom, but I know nothing.

Last edited:

I looked at the numbers on this one, may as well share:

Clawson is 0-12 vs. the top 10 and 6-7 vs teams ranked 11-25
Grobe was 0-12 vs. the top 10 and 6-16 vs teams ranked 11-25
Caldwell was 0-9 vs. the top 10 and 4-10 vs. 11-25

poll expanded to top 25 with around the end of Dooley's tenure (just in time for the '92 Deacs to finish ranked at #25) so I don't have stats for performance vs. T25 before then. Dooley and Groh only played 7 top 10 teams in their combined 12 years.

Mackovic went 3-0 against teams ranked #'s 12, 13, 14 in 1979. Too bad none of them had slightly better rankings, otherwise the streak would only be 44 years.

Program is 0-63 vs. the Top 10 since Peahead beat Tennessee in Knoxville in October 1946

Just under .500 against teams ranked 11-25 is pretty good. I wonder how that compares with other ACC teams.

It's too bad we can't get an easy one like Clemson or TCU being way overrated in week 1 by a bunch of pencil jockeys.

Back