• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2024 NFL Thread. Draft Day Two.

I don't follow NFL that closely. I grew up a Redskins fan and they've been so irrelevant for so long, I lost interest over the years.

But... can someone please enlighten me as to why Russell Wilson still adds value to a team like the Steelers? Wasn't he about done with football after the Denver debacle? I was happy to see Pickett gone. It's hard to wish that guy anything good after the ACCCG.

he had a decent season last year. Terrible year two years ago but he was at least serviceable in 23

Cowboys and Dak restructure the deal a little bit and free up $4MM in cap space.
Dak's 2024 cap number is still an absurd $55.455 million though. hahahahaha that's just silly

I am always impressed how seamlessly the NFL is able to label these players as busts before they are even 24 years old. The players deal with multiple coordinators, learning multiple systems, (which lets be honest, rarely are made to fit their skillset) and are often surrounded by less than the best complimentary parts. However, its always the players who are labeled busts, but not the GM's who failed to get them decent teammates or the coaches who fail to develop the players skills. It happens year after year and while shitty coordinators are handed job after job, many of the players who get shipped off before their first contract ends, will never see the field again.

I am always impressed how seamlessly the NFL is able to label these players as busts before they are even 24 years old. The players deal with multiple coordinators, learning multiple systems, (which lets be honest, rarely are made to fit their skillset) and are often surrounded by less than the best complimentary parts. However, its always the players who are labeled busts, but not the GM's who failed to get them decent teammates or the coaches who fail to develop the players skills. It happens year after year and while shitty coordinators are handed job after job, many of the players who get shipped off before their first contract ends, will never see the field again.
Coaches get fired. Players get labeled "busts."

There's a steady stream of talent and no developmental league. There's no real price to be paid for labeling someone a bust and giving up on him. Even with players having to wait 3 years to enter the draft, 24-25 is not a young player anymore.

Cowboys and Dak restructure the deal a little bit and free up $4MM in cap space.
Dak's 2024 cap number is still an absurd $55.455 million though. hahahahaha that's just silly
That $4mil in cap room is a game changer!

I’ve never I understood nfl salary cap wackiness. Are there any good explainers for thing like dead money cap hits and how restructuring salary as upfront bonus provides cap relief?

I’ve never I understood nfl salary cap wackiness. Are there any good explainers for thing like dead money cap hits and how restructuring salary as upfront bonus provides cap relief?

Here is one explanation.

I guess i don’t understand the penalty if it was a clerical error and they gained no advantage.

Explainer on how the Browns game this to sustainably spend more than everyone.

Explainer on how the Browns game this to sustainably spend more than everyone.

interesting article... my only comment would be about the comparison to the bears Cash spending over the last 3 years. You really can't compare a team trying to win vs a team clearly tanking like the bears were.

NFL going with the XFL kickoff rules. Going to be weird:

It'll make kickoffs relevant again with fewer injuries as a result, so it's a win from that perspective. And you can still onside kick in the waning moments of a game. Only downside is you can't have any Pat McAfee surprise onside kicks. I think it's a good rule change, but I'm wondering if it'll result in too many TD returns. Which is probably why it's a 1 year experiment.

I'm also interested to see what becomes of the hip drop tackle. I'm doubting you see many flags because it'll be hard to enforce in real time - football reffing is already really difficult. I don't think I could recognize 1 in real time. But what you will see is a bunch of fines resulting from such tackles. Rugby banned it, so probably a good change once defensive players learn what they can't do.

Back