• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2024 NFL Thread. Draft is done. Which Teams will Find Winng "Lottery Tickets" in Undrafted Free Agents?

So it appears Mike Evans didn’t actually want to play for a contender.

So it appears Mike Evans didn’t actually want to play for a contender.
He has already won a ring, and they were a playoff team despite being in cap jail. This move likely means they're bringing Baker back, and those 2 had good seasons last year. He's north of 30 making $26mil per, and they'll contend for the NFCS and a playoff spot with Cousins and the Falcons. Better off staying in the NFC, and no AFC contender could afford him at that price. Add to all that the only potential NFC playoff contender with a WR need and plenty of cap space is Chicago, and you'd be playing with a rookie there. So I get it from his perspective.

As for Wilson, that's a fascinating situation. They'd rather eat $85mil in dead cap money than have him on the roster, which is a testament as to how badly he alienated the locker room in 2022. Most of the sports talking heads are talking about the robust FA market for him because he won't cost but $1mil to sign. Maybe, but I'm not so sure of that.

My gut tells me someone is going to get Justin Fields for a 4 and a 5. Which is unbelievable value...
Yup. Or maybe a 3rd. I had thought there would be a good market for him with the most likely landing place being Atl, but they're going with Cousins. Can't see him in LV with Getsy, and it looks like they're trading up for their QB. Pit will get a lesser name to compete with Pickett. Can't see him being a Sean Payton type of QB. Chi can't trade him to Min. So if you assume QBs go 1, 2, 3 with no trades, that leaves NYG as the most likely destination as their Jones solution. Or maybe Sea.

Didn't Geno Smith just restructure his contract to free up cap space for Seattle tho?

Didn't Geno Smith just restructure his contract to free up cap space for Seattle tho?
Seem to recollect that he did. But they're behind Min, Den and LV, who all appear intent on drafting a QB. It looks like McCarthy goes top 10 at this point, and I don't think Penix and Nix get out of the 1st round now. Penix because he had a good combine and better Senior Bowl than Nix did, and I think Nix will have some appeal to Payton because he doesn't turn it over and will run the offense like Payton wants him to. There just seems to be more buzz about the rookies than current NFL QBs not named Cousins. That's why I'm thinking NYG takes 1 of the great WRs at 6 and then trades a mid round pick for Fields, who would be interesting to pair with Daboll. And if NYG aren't interested, then I could see Sea picking him up on the real cheap. There just don't appear to be many suitors for Fields.

In many states, you can now bet on things like who will Justin Fields play for in 2024. In that market, which may be based on valid information or misinformation as now money is at stake, while the Falcons remain the favorite, the odds are shfting away from Fields landing in Atlanta:

Giants are on the board, but it's still a long shot (14 to 1).

Atl: Florio has reported that Cousins is relocating his family to Atl, and his wife is from there, and her parents still live there. London's fantasy stock just soared.
Pit: Apparently don't see Fields as an upgrade over Pickett, despite what the sports talking heads say, and want a cheaper QB to compete with Pickett.
Chi: Can't have both Fields and Williams in the same locker room. Unless you keep Fields and auction off #1.
Min: You can't trade a starting QB to a division opponent and do them a solid. Maybe they stay put and take Penix?
LV: Reunite with Getsy?!? Pierce wants Daniels, but WTF would be committing malpractice not to take Daniels, so Pierce may have to settle on trading up with LAC to get McCarthy.
Den: Is in cap jail and likely can't afford to extend him, plus Fields doesn't seem like a Payton guy. Nix is more of a Payton guy.
NYG: If LV does trade up, you don't really want to take the next QB at 6, so why not take Fields on the cheap for a mid round pick?
NE: Why would you trade out of 3 and not take 1 of the top 3 QBs:
TB: All signs point to Baker being back.
Sea: Maybe, but then you'd have to ship Geno somewhere.
NO: Is committed to Carr for 4 > years.

Bottom line is the only 2 that make sense are if Chi trades out of 1 for a haul or NYG. And if you think the market for Fields is lacking, what is it for Wilson? Maybe 1 of the 2 teams who draft Maye and McCarthy because they are the least ready to start day 1. Otherwise, do you really want him and the alternative reality in which he resides in your locker room?

In case anyone wants to experience the worst 3 hours of their life (click pic for all the topics discussed)

Talked to Bill Polian a couple weeks ago at the gym and he said Bears are definitely trading Fields. But I guess this isnt really news.

Atl: Florio has reported that Cousins is relocating his family to Atl, and his wife is from there, and her parents still live there. London's fantasy stock just soared.
Pit: Apparently don't see Fields as an upgrade over Pickett, despite what the sports talking heads say, and want a cheaper QB to compete with Pickett.
Chi: Can't have both Fields and Williams in the same locker room. Unless you keep Fields and auction off #1.
Min: You can't trade a starting QB to a division opponent and do them a solid. Maybe they stay put and take Penix?
LV: Reunite with Getsy?!? Pierce wants Daniels, but WTF would be committing malpractice not to take Daniels, so Pierce may have to settle on trading up with LAC to get McCarthy.
Den: Is in cap jail and likely can't afford to extend him, plus Fields doesn't seem like a Payton guy. Nix is more of a Payton guy.
NYG: If LV does trade up, you don't really want to take the next QB at 6, so why not take Fields on the cheap for a mid round pick?
NE: Why would you trade out of 3 and not take 1 of the top 3 QBs:
TB: All signs point to Baker being back.
Sea: Maybe, but then you'd have to ship Geno somewhere.
NO: Is committed to Carr for 4 > years.

Bottom line is the only 2 that make sense are if Chi trades out of 1 for a haul or NYG. And if you think the market for Fields is lacking, what is it for Wilson? Maybe 1 of the 2 teams who draft Maye and McCarthy because they are the least ready to start day 1. Otherwise, do you really want him and the alternative reality in which he resides in your locker room?

Reminder that Russell Wilson can sign for the league minimum of $1.21 million next season and that will only partially offset the $39 million the Broncos are due to pay him.

Talked to Bill Polian a couple weeks ago at the gym and he said Bears are definitely trying to trade Fields. But I guess this isnt really news.
fify. I don't think he gets traded before the other QB dominoes start to fall next week.

As for Rodgers, that is just such an odd mix of real and not real things. I mean at least Northwoods and Paperclip were real. And we did the same thing with Japanese scientists.

Biff, do you want Wilson and his alternative reality mentoring the young QB you are trying to groom? I mean I could see LV taking him as a stop gap if they don't get the QB they want. But I can also see no team picking him until after the draft or him still being out there in August and a team picking him up once their QB goes down.

I don't want Wilson and didn't intend to insinuate that I did.

In an alternate universe in which the Panthers didn't trade up for a QB and just stuck with Darnold or whoever, getting Russell Wilson for cheap would be ideal unless they were positioned to get a top QB this season.

Back