• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official CFB Offseason Thread: Saban and Jimbo Trade "Despicable" Punches ! !!!!!!! !

Weird play to choose. Looks like he beat and a good throw would have gotten a lot of yardage.

Blake Toppmeyer is an SEC Columnist for the USA TODAY Network

He’s just repeating what’s been said for years.

I think the interest in an all-SEC + a few teams super league is much lower than what these SEC folks think. At the end of the day most people care about their own school and own conference. We watch other teams from the same level such as FBS, or even just P5. Further narrow that down by splitting off and they may get a large first tv deal but I don’t think the eyeballs will remain.

Did these donks learn nothing from the European Super League. Probably not.

I think the interest in an all-SEC + a few teams super league is much lower than what these SEC folks think. At the end of the day most people care about their own school and own conference. We watch other teams from the same level such as FBS, or even just P5. Further narrow that down by splitting off and they may get a large first tv deal but I don’t think the eyeballs will remain.

Completely agree. The top SEC schools have huge fanbase compared to plenty other P5 schools, but together they don't make up much of the broader college football fanbase.

Did these donks learn nothing from the European Super League. Probably not.

Yep. The first SEC coach who openly calls for something like this will get the Mickelson treatment. I also doubt ESPN would torch their relationships with other conferences to pull away for this either. Whoever moves on this would destroy college football. If the Big Ten wanted a part of this, they would have approached the SEC with it after Texas/Oklahoma was announced. That was the time to blow things up. The Big Ten could have tried to poach a few teams and started a super league with the SEC. They didn't want to do it.

a little light tax evasion going on

One issue I haven't seen discussed with respect to the expanded playoffs now is the current contract. ESPN bought the rights in the current contract. If the teams and leagues wanted out, what would ESPN's price be? Exclusive rights to the new, expanded tournament?

That would be a non-starter for the B1G. I'm sure they want to give their network partner (Fox) an opportunity to bid. It probably will be financially advantageous to all the non-SEC conferences to have more than one broadcaster bid for the media rights. Other not so obvious media companies could be interested in the content of an expanded playoff.

One issue I haven't seen discussed with respect to the expanded playoffs now is the current contract. ESPN bought the rights in the current contract. If the teams and leagues wanted out, what would ESPN's price be? Exclusive rights to the new, expanded tournament?

That would be a non-starter for the B1G. I'm sure they want to give their network partner (Fox) an opportunity to bid. It probably will be financially advantageous to all the non-SEC conferences to have more than one broadcaster bid for the media rights. Other not so obvious media companies could be interested in the content of an expanded playoff.

The Big 10 did a six year deal last time they signed a network deal. That deal is up within the next year or two. They're going to break the bank in the next deal that will go into effect before the expanded playoff. I've seen stories that speculate they may to split the package between Fox,, NBC, and ABC/ESPN. The rich get richer.

Official CFB Offseason Thread: CFB Playoff To Remain at Four Teams Thru 2025 !!!!!!!!

Agreed blue. Other companies being whoever loses out in bidding for the NFL Sunday Ticket package (ie, Apple, Amazon, YouTube).

Last edited:
Does this put any pressure on ND to join the ACC as a full football member?

Doubt it. They figure they can play with the big dogs. Step up and fight to get out of the bottom half.
Is thing gonna have relegation? What a flawed concept.

Philly contract expiring after 2022 game.

Philly contract expiring after 2022 game.

As if I needed another reason to not visit Charlotte for anything other than Wake games (and races but that’s not really Charlotte).

As if I needed another reason to not visit Charlotte for anything other than Wake games (and races but that’s not really Charlotte).

Your absence will be . . . not particularly noticed.

Bruce Feldman ranks Clawson as #11 coach in the country (second in ACC after Dabo at #2, only other ACC coach is Mario Cristobal at #14)

https://theathletic.com/3165800/202...nks-the-top-25-college-football-head-coaches/

11. Dave Clawson, Wake Forest (2021: NR): The architect of the Slow Mesh scheme, Clawson has done phenomenal work with the Demon Deacons, putting together excellent staffs and giving underrated talent an edge to flourish in the ACC. Last season — 11-3 and ranked No. 14 in the Coaches Poll — was the high-water mark, but Wake has plenty of talent returning, so don’t think that was a fluke. This program is rolling now, just like the turnaround jobs Clawson did at Fordham, Richmond and Bowling Green.

Back