• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official CFP Rankings Thread - #16 Deacs (#15 Pitt, #18 State, #20 Clemson)

Why 6 at large? Why not 10 for a 16 team playoff? Or why not 4 and have them play to get into an 8 team playoff?

Totally against playoff expansion. Teams can barely get through a season without mass injuries. It's too many games. And basically football becomes a nine month sport. Stop the greed.

Totally against playoff expansion. Teams can barely get through a season without mass injuries. It's too many games. And basically football becomes a nine month sport. Stop the greed.

Good FCS teams play 11 games and then participate in a 24 team playoff.

What change are you talking about?

It’s doubtful Wake could ever get an at-large bid. I think everyone here wants a system in which the ACC champ makes the playoff. So that would help us.

I don't think it's being a doomsayer to say that it's quite possible that the ACC does not survive this shuffling as a power football conference, with at least the bigger schools (Clemson, FSU, UNC, VT, Miami, GT, Louisville, etc.) ditching for a super conference with SEC and Big Ten teams. (Also very possible that it's the majority of ACC schools that get scooped up with a few stragglers left cold, which would almost assuredly include Wake).

With expansion, the way to avoid that is a playoff system that essentially allows more of the powerhouse schools into the playoff (kind of like Biff's suggestion -- 5 champions and 8 at-larges). So that would give us a better chance of making the playoff but hurt whatever tiny chance we have of pulling a miracle and winning a championship.

Seems incredibly unlikely the actual power conferences (SEC and Big Ten) agree to any system that creates more opportunity for schools like Wake, because they have no incentive to.

Good FCS teams play 11 games and then participate in a 24 team playoff.

And they play more snaps with fewer scholarships.

I’m fine giving the SEC two auto bids. Or give one to the SEC and one to Alabama. More often than not they won’t need more spots than their Alabama and not Alabama representatives.

Seems like our fanbase is pre-occupied by:

a) WF getting relegated to Davidson status by getting frozen out as WF gets left out of the conference realignment process
b) How WF can't compete with the current NLI and free transfer rules

Weird to me how the following facts seem to have no impact on these insecurities:

On Saturday, WF is playing for Power V conference title.

A week ago, WF just locked up one of the best coaches in CFB.

Other than Clemson, FSU, L'ville and Miami, WF is only ACC team to have received a top 10 ranking by the CFP committee in the last decade.

WF has a rock-star head coach, and an AD that is three steps ahead of everyone else.

Given those facts, why isn't VT and UNC (and the rest of the ACC) afraid that WF is going to be the one that gets the invite from the SEC or Big 10 (j/k kind of). Just don't understand where all of this self-loathing comes from. The more the rules change, the better WF football has gotten. Our football coach was coveted by VT, and he laughed at their interest. We have leadership that knows how to build a better mousetrap and that has built WF's brand. While always looking for ways to get better, wish our fanbase had more faith in WF's current leadership. They have earned it.

Because college football is more about tv revenue than literally anything else and we are not yet a big draw. I think that can change, and we’re headed on that trajectory. We just gotta build the bandwagon.

Because college football is more about tv revenue than literally anything else and we are not yet a big draw. I think that can change, and we’re headed on that trajectory. We just gotta build the bandwagon.

Would like to see the numbers, but in recent years, seems like WF is oddly a better TV draw than most think. Think WF has pulled in comparatively good numbers with WF recent bowl appearances and the few national TV appearances that WF gets. The public likes points. We score a lot; we give up a lot. For the average sports fan, WF is this kind of fun mysterious team that is always discounted; yet, finds a way to compete. Wouldn't be surprised if Saturday's Pitt/WF game is the best watch of the CFB weekend.

If Michigan takes an early lead, the Big Ten Championship will be pretty boring.

Fair point. Allowed.

Seems like our fanbase is pre-occupied by:

a) WF getting relegated to Davidson status by getting frozen out as WF gets left out of the conference realignment process
b) How WF can't compete with the current NLI and free transfer rules

Weird to me how the following facts seem to have no impact on these insecurities:

On Saturday, WF is playing for Power V conference title.

A week ago, WF just locked up one of the best coaches in CFB.

Other than Clemson, FSU, L'ville and Miami, WF is only ACC team to have received a top 10 ranking by the CFP committee in the last decade.

WF has a rock-star head coach, and an AD that is three steps ahead of everyone else.

Given those facts, why isn't VT and UNC (and the rest of the ACC) afraid that WF is going to be the one that gets the invite from the SEC or Big 10 (j/k kind of). Just don't understand where all of this self-loathing comes from. The more the rules change, the better WF football has gotten. Our football coach was coveted by VT, and he laughed at their interest. We have leadership that knows how to build a better mousetrap and that has built WF's brand. While always looking for ways to get better, wish our fanbase had more faith in WF's current leadership. They have earned it.

UNC was ranked 10th in the CFP poll prior to their ACC Championship Game matchup with Clemson in 2015, fyi. Brief visit to the top-10, but a visit nonetheless.

They should give conference champs auto bids with caveats - require max of 3 losses or require champion also be ranked in top 20 of final rankings, etc. Those qualifiers should depend on how many teams they let in. If only 8, a cutoff of non-top 20 seems reasonable. So if you get a fluky champ no auto bid for that conference that year. Could easily still get a team in at-large.

I bet some people hating on the SEC in football thought ACC basketball deserved all the hype in the 90s and aughts

I bet some people hating on the SEC in football thought ACC basketball deserved all the hype in the 90s and aughts

Not exactly the same. In bball you play a ton of OOC games and also have to get through the tournament against teams from other conferences. The SEC playing itself and no road OOC games means nothing.

Not exactly the same. In bball you play a ton of OOC games and also have to get through the tournament against teams from other conferences. The SEC playing itself and no road OOC games means nothing.

Please go on about the murderer's row of OOC road games that top ACC basketball teams play.

What has been the average score differential in the history of college playoffs? The answer is a lot, 18 points. There have rarely been good games, so this idea that in a new system we have to protect the sanctity of good teams and good match ups by picking the best teams instead of having auto qualifiers is bullshit. I mean we keep letting fucking Notre Dame in to get absolutely fucked, and it might happen again this year. Oh no University of Washington might lose to Alabama 31-3 instead of 24-6.

I'm OK with the four team playoff. If you have two or more losses you are out. A standard for inclusion has been maintained and has been applicable to all. I'd be OK with an 8 team playoff that included P5 conference champions and 3 at large teams.

I dislike a 12 team playoff with four byes. If you are playing for a championship, the champs should be required to win as many tournament games as any other team to attain that trophy. If you are adding an additional week of football, just go to 16 teams.

I hate the present ACC basketball tourney. Pure bullshit for TV. Give the top seed a bye. Play the first round on the home court of the higher seeds. The seven winners join the top seed to finish the tourney at a neutral location.

In the ‘90s and aughts they certainly did.

Biff must not remember Wake going up to UMass to face Marcus Camby, Utah to face Keith Van Horn and Michael Doleac. We played at Kansas, Marquette, and Cincy in the early 00s.

I went back and looked at the 1994-95 schedule. We had road games at Davidson, Canisius (coached by John Beilein), and Richmond in the first five games. The other two were a home opener against UNCG and a neutral site game against UF. We even had game at Winthrop in Feb between games at State and FSU.

Other ACC teams in the 80s, 90s, and 00s played big time road games as well. They weren’t afraid to go on the road and be dominant like today’s SEC powers. At least Vandy and Ole Miss are willing to come to Wake.

Back