• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Clemson vs. Wake Game Thread - 7:49 on ABC

If there was ever a year for the ACC to set the schedule up completely to try to get a certain outcome, it’s this year. One non-con game, no divisions, and 10 conference games. We got screwed along with a couple of other teams. All the more reason I think for Clawson to be real aggressive in games where can play spoiler. If we don’t make a bowl this year, who cares, I’d much rather knock ND or UNC off their yellow brick road laid out for them to the title game to play Clemson.

I agree with you about ND and UNC. I watched most of the DUKE/ND game yesterday. I can’t tell if a Duke is better than last year or if ND is just overrated again. They really struggled with Duke until putting up some late 4Q scores.

I agree with you about ND and UNC. I watched most of the DUKE/ND game yesterday. I can’t tell if a Duke is better than last year or if ND is just overrated again. They really struggled with Duke until putting up some late 4Q scores.

I think it's a bit of both. ND is once again the classic "do less with more" but Duke still did well most of the game. Just outmatched. ND will unimpressively win a lot of games against inferior opponents and be exposed against anyone actual top tier team. ND is not top tier.

All that being said, we knew drawing Clemson first coming off an...um...unusual offseason replacing by far our best offensive player would be a very challenging task. Time for the team to regroup and see where we really stand next week and beyond. No other team really scares me right now.

Agree. Really hard to judge Wake on this game. Clemson is really way above anyone we play. Your only hope to beat them is to play error free, get some lucky offensive plays and hope they make a bunch of mistakes. Not sure any Wake fan really had this game inked in as a win. It was going to be a loss wherever in the schedule it was. Kinda of glad it happened early. Gives us a change to make a run at a decent winning streak.

And I just don't get the "it doesn't matter in the end" mentality. That is what Clemson fans were posting during the game, too. But it does matter. Our offense could have scored more points in the first half, and looked pretty good at times...on national TV. We would have lost the game but there would be way more for our offense to build on moving forward, and it would have looked much more competitive at least for the first couple of quarters on ABC, which matters a lot for our program. Clemson should have to beat us fairly (which they would have) but they didn't. That takes away from Clemson, Wake Forest, and the game in general.

Exactly, it wasn't going to change the outcome and if Clemson had to leave the starters in maybe it winds up 50+/60 to 30 game. I doubt they let that grabbing go when they play Alabama or whoever in a NC game.

Our 'FG mentality' didn't help as well. When you are are playing a scoring machine you can't accept putting up 3 vs. their 7.

Exactly, it wasn't going to change the outcome and if Clemson had to leave the starters in maybe it winds up 50+/60 to 30 game. I doubt they let that grabbing go when they play Alabama or whoever in a NC game. Our 'FG mentality' didn't help as well. When you are are playing a scoring machine you can't accept putting up 3 vs. their 7.
Good points. We have a defense against most of the rest of the ACC mid tier programs but many of our games are against the top half. We have a very good 2QB. Hartman and OC need to toss it to Roberson and Groulx more.

haven't read anything on this thread and didn't watch the 4th quarter of the game, but it seemed the strategy we played with (and I don't think it was necessarily a bad strategy) was we need Clemson to mess up in order for us to win.
Seems like we played zone the whole game just trying not to get beat deep and hoping Lawerence would throw some picks.
Clemson dropped that wide open touchdown, but other than that they just beat us with 5-20 yard plays it seemed (which we gave them, mostly because we had to).
If had gotten that PI call (which was a terrible no call) on the first drive, we (maybe) score a touchdown
We don't miss that FG and we don't drop that pass that was likely to be a touchdown or close and it could easily been 17 to 17 late in the 2nd quarter.

Not that we were going to win because Clemson obviously took the foot off the gas, but our gameplan was we have to play flawless and they have to have some critical mistakes. They made few mistakes and we didn't execute when we needed to

WF had a ton of players in the secondary out, including 2 of WF's top 3 corners; information which WF withheld up until gametime. Seemingly COVID related. Realize Lawrence may be the best player in college football right now, but on a lot of his throws, there was no WF defender in the picture when the ball was completed. Hard to know how much of the issue with pass coverage was the number of players out versus scheme. After the game, Clawson seemed to think that most of those that missed the Clemson game will be back next week.

As an tOSU and Wake fan, I have really bad PTSD about refs and Clemson football. Dating back to when I was a kid and the phantom PI in the 2OT game in Death Valley that cost the Deacs a win. They gave Boogie the Chase Young holding treatment and it was blatant from the 2nd Clemson possession. Nothing quite as bad as the comical overturned Buckeye scoop and score last year, but the missed PI on Roberson definitely makes my top 10.

We already know Dabo funnels money to recruits (thanks NewSpring Church!). Would not surprise me in the least if Clemson bag men pad officials' pockets too. He's my least favorite coach in college sports and it ain't close. I think I'd rather lick Coach K's taint than have a beer with Dabo.

About 12 defensive players who didn't play. Were they on the sidelines? If it was covid related you wouldn't have them on the sidelines sitting around the gatorade table.

About 12 defensive players who didn't play. Were they on the sidelines? If it was covid related you wouldn't have them on the sidelines sitting around the gatorade table.

Tyler Williams was one, who was sorely missed.

Not sure if anyone already posted this... Didn't keep up with the game thread, as I watched the game on a delay.

Jeff [Redacted] would have been proud, as we won the 2nd Half by a score of 13-10.

As an tOSU and Wake fan, I have really bad PTSD about refs and Clemson football. Dating back to when I was a kid and the phantom PI in the 2OT game in Death Valley that cost the Deacs a win. They gave Boogie the Chase Young holding treatment and it was blatant from the 2nd Clemson possession. Nothing quite as bad as the comical overturned Buckeye scoop and score last year, but the missed PI on Roberson definitely makes my top 10.

We already know Dabo funnels money to recruits (thanks NewSpring Church!). Would not surprise me in the least if Clemson bag men pad officials' pockets too. He's my least favorite coach in college sports and it ain't close. I think I'd rather lick Coach K's taint than have a beer with Dabo.

C'mon man. You're a tOSU fan. Good grief. Talk about pot calling the kettle black.

Dabo is the worst, though. His whole false humility "I'm just a humble man of God trying to shape these boys' live" schtick sucks.

Good points. We have a defense against most of the rest of the ACC mid tier programs but many of our games are against the top half. We have a very good 2QB. Hartman and OC need to toss it to Roberson and Groulx more.

One of the many downsides to opening with Clemson instead of a G5 cupcake. Wake has a completely rebuilt offense. 10 of the 11 guys were not the starters in last years opener at the positions they played against Clemson.

The defense also has a lot of new guys starting, particularly the defensive backfield.

That is massive turnover. This year will favor continuity. Wake has it with the staff. Not with players.

Wake coaches and players are still figuring out who the "gamers" are. That is, which players step up when the reps count and the guys on the other side aren't team mates.

C'mon man. You're a tOSU fan. Good grief. Talk about pot calling the kettle black.

I like Ryan Day a lot. Never was a big Urban Meyer guy (hated him at Florida). Also, it's pretty widely known that Michigan paid Rashan Gary a lot of money. But when you've lost 15/16 games in the biggest rivalry in college sports, I guess you have to throw shade somehow! Wake has beaten Clemson twice in that span.

Unofficial list:

Rondell Bothroyd - we knew he'd be out because he's still recovering from season-ending injury last year
Tyler Williams
Justin Williams
James Ash
Mike Allen

(all of those are DTs)

Trey Rucker
Coby Davis
Caelen Carson
JJ Roberts
Gavin Holmes

(all of those are DBs)

For my money, Rucker is the *only* one who I never saw on the sidelines Saturday. Given Clawson's quote earlier in the week about missing multiple players because of COVID-19 positives and/or contact tracing, it's hard to believe Rucker is the *only* player who missed the game for that reason. I think given the amount of DTs and DBs unavailable, you have to assume (I know what happens when you do that, but still) that a chunk of those guys were held out for COVID-19 related reasons.

This is all speculative and will be all season, because Wake Forest is not going to do what Clemson did and announce a few hours before each game who is unavailable. That's up to the schools, not mandated by ACC.

I like Ryan Day a lot. Never was a big Urban Meyer guy (hated him at Florida). Also, it's pretty widely known that Michigan paid Rashan Gary a lot of money. But when you've lost 15/16 games in the biggest rivalry in college sports, I guess you have to throw shade somehow! Wake has beaten Clemson twice in that span.

This is stated like a true tOSU fan. First, accuse Clemson of being corrupt. Second, accuse Michigan of being corrupt. Third, disown Urban Meyer. Fourth, add a completely irrelevant what-aboutism about Wake beating Clemson twice in the last 16 years even though Clemson has not been like it's current state for the last 16 years. Well done. Bonus points would have been added if you took a shot at Maurice Clarrett, claimed that the NCAA comes down harder on tOSU, or contended that Jim Tressell was either mistreated by the NCAA or that you weren't a fan of the way he ran his program. I do have to give you extra credit though because your original post does state that Chase Young was unfairly targeted by the refs.

It's so weird to read this discussion here. Unless you grew up in that area of the country, I'd imagine most Wake fans couldn't care less about Ohio State or Michigan. I'm happy y'all are passionate, but why discuss it at all here? It's roughly as relevant as if you started arguing about Stanford and Cal.

This is stated like a true tOSU fan. First, accuse Clemson of being corrupt. Second, accuse Michigan of being corrupt. Third, disown Urban Meyer. Fourth, add a completely irrelevant what-aboutism about Wake beating Clemson twice in the last 16 years even though Clemson has not been like it's current state for the last 16 years. Well done. Bonus points would have been added if you took a shot at Maurice Clarrett, claimed that the NCAA comes down harder on tOSU, or contended that Jim Tressell was either mistreated by the NCAA or that you weren't a fan of the way he ran his program. I do have to give you extra credit though because your original post does state that Chase Young was unfairly targeted by the refs.

We just witnessed Clemson being the beneficiary of a ton of calls from the refs against Wake. I simply tied it into the game they played two before the Deacs that was also horribly officiated. You decided to throw shade. But keep up the tOSU hate. It's really just funny at this point from fans of a once proud program that has become a disgrace of its former self. At some point, unfortunately, The Game will lose some of its luster (if it hasn't already) due to it being so one sided. It's been 3215 days since Michigan beat tOSU.

Back to the point. Clemson gets the benefit of far too many calls. Dabo is a fake televangelist used car salesman slime ball.

Back